Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
Amelia

Growing Old Together, in New Kind of Commune

Amelia

Growing Old Together, in New Kind of Commune

DAVIS, Calif., Feb. 23 — They are unlikely revolutionaries. Bearing walkers and canes, a veritable Merck Manual of ailments among them, the 12 old friends — average age 80 — looked as though they should have been sitting down to a game of Scrabble, not pioneering a new kind of commune.

Opting for old age on their own terms, they were starting a new chapter in their lives as residents of Glacier Circle, the country's first self-planned housing development for the elderly — a community they had conceived and designed themselves, right down to its purple gutters.

Over the past five years, the residents of Glacier Circle have found and bought land together, hired an architect together, ironed out insurance together, lobbied for a zoning change together and existentially probed togetherness together.

"Here you get to pick your family instead of being born into it," said Peggy Northup-Dawson, 79, a retired family therapist and mother of six who is legally blind. "We recognized that when you're physically closer to each other, you pay more attention, look in on each other. The idea was to share care."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/27/nation...nyt&emc=rss

Gail

That's what I want to do when I get old- live in a commune! :)

My biggest fear about growing old would be to be lonely and unappreciated- going to waste

Woody

Quote:
My biggest fear about growing old would be to be lonely and unappreciated- going to waste

My concern is similar. I am just more concerned with going to waist than waste.

Clio

Quote:

My concern is similar. I am just more concerned with going to waist than waste.

My biggest fear about growing old is doing so without Mike. His health is so fragile and continues to deteriorate. Now his thyroid isn't working and they've discovered a mass in his left iliac crest that requires a bone scan.

It's one thing after another. I'm only 44. I don't want to live another 40 years without him!

D. Allan

sometimes these 'fragile' people live the longer the the average! i hope he gets stronger though. my wife is fragile too. i'm sixty five and don't want to live 20 more without her. she'll probably outlive me.

Clio

I would not want him to outlive me, becaue he wouldn't outlive me by long....

I think he would follow of a broken heart within months.

Clio

Gail

It amazes me how much old people really do face- big things- on the downhill slide towards the grave.

It would be really nice if life got easier and simpler when one got older, so that they kinda drifted into old age: people respecting them better, health got better, no aches or pains, and no loneliness