Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
ChildofChrist

Making a Joyful Noise

ChildofChrist

Where I attend church, each week we have an lit' orchestra for Sabbath School. There are 2 or 3 violinists, 1 saw, a recorder, two horns, and a various amount of folks that come with an instrutment on any given week. It all seems to work and adds a great deal to our praise.

As a result, I've been considering learning to play something to add to the sound, hopefully. When I was a child, I wanted to learn to play the flute but my parents vetoed the idea. Down the road about 20 years or so later, I had a mishape and am now unable to even blow a whistle with any type of punch. However I do love good music and can be carried away with it to far better places.

With time on my hands, I've been thinking about something stringed. Perhaps a dulcimer. What do you think is easy for a 60+ to learn with zip talent?

ChildofChrist

Thanks, I have the dulicmer heading this way already.

Has anyone else thought about developing childhood interests when the gray/white heads your way?

ChildofChrist

The dulcimer arrived this past week and I've been taking small bites from the DVD on teaching yourself. If I listen to it often enough, perhaps eventually, I might be able to understand it.

Friend was over on Sabbath and had a crack at attempting to tune it. Better than I could have done.

I'm going to practice some Christmas music and perhaps by the time it rolls around, I might be able to play some of it. Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be optimistic about this. lol

Jeannieb43

Congratulations! Learning to play a new instrument in our retirement years is a "hobby" I've very seldom heard discussed. But a dulcimer would be a great instrument, in my opinion. It has a somewhat mellow sound when plucked.... And the Bible even mentions the dulcimer!

You can develop some good calluses on your fingers and pluck away! (Or are you supposed to use a pick?) It should provide a good accompaniment to congregational singing in church.

Thanks for this inspirational idea.

ChildofChrist

I have always loved good music. Wanted to learn the flute when I was in the second or third grade but my parents felt they couldn't afford it along with the tuition while I was in Berrien. Perhaps as well. I am unable to learn to play it now due to bell's palsy. Now...if I could use a drinking straw I'd try.

I have a noter to use and a pick so hopefully no calloused hands nor fingers.

Jeannieb43

Wonderful!

Let us know how you like it, as you progress in the learning process.