• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woody

• bonnie

• David Koot

• CyberGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess though that these rules are just for ourselves to evaluate ourselves ... but some are far to vague and would mean one thing to one person and another thing to someone else.

That really defeats the purpose in my mind ... but maybe there is some value. But if there was any kind of enforcement ... I would object due to this factor.

Many are in the eye of the beholder.

Talking about jokes ... #15 is just that.

Quote:
use veiled threats or jabs, name-calling and innuendo in disagreements - stick to the topic of discussion in an open way

There is and has always been name calling and those who do so don't even think they are doing it. And Admin. accept this. Do you want to make a list of names banned? NO. So, why even have the rule then?

Stick to topic ?? Hijacking is a way of life. Sometimes it is just down right blatant. And again ... it is blessed and participated in by ALL. And I don't think you really want to stop most of this. It would stop the flow of conversation. And people who point it out are considered rude. I would just ask that the moderator make a request about this before sending it to Cyber Hell. And then ... just delete the offending parts instead of all of our hard work.

Overall ... I find this entire rule ... OUT of ORDER. Worthless. Vague and in the eye of the beholder.

What is trolling?

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response.

I got this off of Wikipedia.

About this name calling issue. Let me say that anytime someone says ... You are a ..... (Fill in the blank with any word) it is wrong.

Would it be OK to give an example without condemning someone?

A good friend of mine has admitted that he has a problem calling people "legalists". He has admitted this in public and has tried to prevent this. While I may agree with his opinion of the opinion ... I do feel it is wrong to call someone .... ANYTHING. I do appreciate his honesty and attempts to stop this.

So, if you want to stop name calling ... then it needs to be specific that ANY name is not accepted.

Back to the legalist issue. I feel it is fine to say that someone's belief or opinion is "legalistic". That in my mind is an opinion that is descriptive and not personal. Opinions CAN be legalistic. But don't call an individual a "legalist".

That is my take on it anyway.

Taking it to PM sounds good but the problem is some have come onto the open forum and posted a PM in public and put them in the worst possible light. Many times taken out of context as well.

So Taking it to PM does not always work.

Originally Posted By: carolaa
What is trolling?

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response.

I got this off of Wikipedia.

Oh Shoot we have all been guilty of that from time to time. LOL

Quote:
Rule 23: talk about another member in a thread in which the second member is not involved.

I may not understand this well ... but I don't see the need to talk "about" another person at all. In any thread ... Saying ... Redwood is like this and he is like that .... would be wrong. But saying ... Redwood said this .... That I see no problem with as long as it was an accurate quote.

Another thing that is fine is what I would call a referral. You could say ... Redwood is talking about that issue in such and such thread. It is kind of like a way to prevent hijacking of a thread. Point people to where the appropriate discussion is being done.

Taking it to PM sounds good but the problem is some have come onto the open forum and posted a PM in public and put them in the worst possible light. Many times taken out of context as well.

So Taking it to PM does not always work.

Personally I find that Matt.18 is always the best and first opinion to try. Admin or a moderator can approach an individual and ask them to correct the issue. If they don't then it is time for the delete button for the moderator. And just for the offending post please.

Some have said that Matt.18 can't be done because there might be a few nonChristians here on CA. First of all ... I know of NO nonChristians here. It would seem to me that it would be very boring and insulting to come and have people talking about Christ all the time.

Second .... Do we want to be so sensitive to one or two persons that we forsake being Christians ourselves? This IS a Christian forum and we should have Christian rules. We should not be afraid of the instructions we have for conflict resolution as outlined in Matt.18

Some good points there, Redwood. Can you suggest better (but not massively more wordy!) phrasing for some of the bits you found vague?

Bravus ... Thanks. But I am not sure how much is really needed. If this is just to be for each person to judge for themselves ... they will fill in the blanks for themselves.

But if the rules are to be for pointing out to someone else ... rule number .... then that would be a different matter. We would have to be VERY specific and then enforcement would have to be consistent. HONESTLY ... I don't see that happening.

Can you imagine someone reminding another person about a rule ... and then all they would do is to argue about what the rule means. That would stop me from having ANYTHING to do with RULES. So, they can be vague if you are just doing it for yourself but they would have to be specific if meant for people other than yourself.

Quote:
I'd rather see a harvest of honest, up-front people.

Quite honestly ... I haven't met any on here that are not honest Olger. We just may not like their honesty. But that is OUR issue. All have different styles ... but I would have to say that most speak their minds and are not dishonest.

Originally Posted By: Liz

An Internet troll' date=' or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response.

I got this off of Wikipedia. [/quote']

Oh Shoot we have all been guilty of that from time to time. LOL

Thanks, Liz! Somehow it didn't occur to me to look it up. Hello...

Maybe we could add to the No Trolling rule a reminder that it takes 2 to fight - responding to trolling is keeping the fight going - and it's ok if you don't always have the last word.

Just tagging on.

If, as some claim, believers cannot keep 10 rules God made even with the aid & power of the Holy Spirit but will willfully/deliberately keep on breaking them, how then will anyone keep 23 man-made rules?

Gerry

Just tagging on.

If, as some claim, believers cannot keep 10 rules God made even with the aid & power of the Holy Spirit but will willfully/deliberately keep on breaking them, how then will anyone keep 23 man-made rules?

Gerry

This is a valid point, Gerry. But then again, God went on to expand those 10 to nearly 613 [?] clarifying rules. ...and, going the other direction by reducing the number of rules, even those 10 are reduced down to just 2.

So, maybe we need follow the same sort of thing...that is to publically post as few rules as possible, but then expand those few rules to the moderators as clarifying rules.

We could always refer people to Ellen White. She has a few "clarifying" rules.

I make a habit of doing this and thus I am not so popular.

Not everyone cares for Ellen White. I once quoted Ellen White here on the forum and some person complained to my employor over it because they did not like what I quoted. LOL

Quote:
Not everyone cares for Ellen White. I once quoted Ellen White here on the forum and some person complained to my employor over it.

That brings to mind a new rule ...

Don't quote any author unless you know that all members here agree with said author.