Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
Neil D

If you are retired, what are you doing?

Neil D

I am wondering...

1] if I will be able to retire

2] if I will be able to work part time

3] if I will be able to travel where I want....

4] What do I do when I retire...?

So, if you are retired...what do you do to fill your time...?

Jeannieb43

Neil, being retired is wonderful, and it is frustrating.

Wonderful because I can get up in the morning and decide what I want to do that day.

Frustrating because there's sometimes not enough money, or enough time, to take advantage of the "wonderful" part.

My life has been so full since I retired, I can't believe I ever had time to go to work! But of course part of that fullness has come from my new grandchildren who've been born in the past five years -- and naturally I have to go visit all of them (plus their older cousins who were born before I retired).

I predict you'll enjoy it, Neil.

(But based on your photo that Amelia posted recently, I predict it'll be a long time before you're old enough to retire!)

abelisle

I've been retired since 2004. Most importantly I'm one of the lucky ones who have 1) a pension 2) annuity 3) social security.

Financially, I'm better off now than when I was working due to the tax issues. I only have to pay Federal tax.

So, I 've taken continuing Ed classes at NYU, do a lot of working out (gym, running, biking), visit museums (I live in NYC), travel (last year I spent 2 weeks in England, Scotland and Wales), visited friends in San Francisco and Lake Tahoe (did some altitude training), did the GoreTex TransRockies Run (6 days of running/jogging/struggling at altitude across the Rockies in CO = 110 miles),working as an asst. to the director of PARL in the GNYC, reading, videogames, helping people etc.

I've avoided working. Nike offered me a job (oh yeah, I forgot - Nike flew me in to their HQ in Beaverton, OR as one of their first "Super-Users" in a Nikeplus summit they had in July '07) but I wanted to have as much freedom as I wanted.

Going to Europe this fall with my daughter and maybe Utah with the whole family?

Alex

Tallmark

I will never ever ever never retire. Money has nothing to do with it. I haven't had a full time "job" in over 30 years (I'm still a young man). I have had my own businesses and worked them part time. There is so much I want to do, I'll probably get half of it done by the time I'm 120.

LynnDel

I am busily retired and involved in:

1. Creative projects

2. Quilting for charity

3. Substitute teaching when I feel like it

4. Checking to see if God has another man for me (did I just see the dedicated bachelor population escaping out the back door? Ha!)

5. Mission trips

6. Travel to visit or help family members

7. Household improvements

8. Gardening

9. Classes

10. Writing

11. Photography

12. Fun with my friends

13. ...and so much more...

Oops! Where did my day go? I am so busy I don't know what to do with myself.

Dottie

I think that when I have time to retire, I will probably die of physical and emotional exhaustion. I have a nine-year old son, and I'm almost 63. . .

Jeannieb43

Wow! Just pray for strength!

[And who knows, he may be just the blessing you need in your 70s and 80s!]

Ellen

That's an advantage of being self employed. My Chiropractor husband is 74 and still works 2 days a week. We closed the office and turned our rec room into an adjusting room. We didn't know how many patients would make the 20 mile trip to our place, but we have had almost 100 patients over the last 2 years and the odd one even came for the first time within the last month.

If you are forced to retire it would be smart to being a hobby or part time self-employed job. It isn't work if you like what you do and it keeps you younger and gives you some extra pocket money too.