Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
Suzanne Sutton

FISH

Suzanne Sutton

Mercury in Tuna

More than half of the 302 cans of tuna sampled by researchers at the University of Nevada in Las Vegas had mercury levels that might be harmful to women and children if consumed regularly, according to a February 2010 study. --Consumer Reports on Heallth, May 2010.

Sushi Tuna May be Super High in Mercury

Much of the tuna offered at the nation's sushi bars could well contain dangerously high mercury levels. GotMercury.org, a California-based public health advocacy group purchased sushi from 5 top restaurants and had 12 samples tested for mercury. What they found was quite disturbing.

The mercury levels in the tuna averaged double the FDA standard. "Eating sushi has become the new Russian roulette," warned health analyst Eli Saddler.

* Prevention, magazine notes that there is no way to prepare mercury tainted fish that reduces the content of this pollutant, for it binds tightly to protein. --Prevention, Jan. 2002.

Another Prevention article advises us not to feed our dogs, cats, raw fish for it may harbor parasites and bacteria that can cause gastric problems --July 2002.

Indeed, any fish eaten by pregnant or nursing mother may threaten her baby's developing brain and nervous system. Nearly all seafood carries traces of mercury known to stunt nervous tissue development in babies and children. Pregnant women should avoid all raw fish because of parasites and germs. --Prevention, July 2004.

Suzanne

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

Shane

It is best for pregnant women, or those planning to become pregnant, not to eat fish at all. Young children shouldn't be fed fish more than twice a week and certain fish should be avoided entirely. Those to avoid are: Atlantic halibut, king mackerel, oysters (Gulf Coast), pike, sea bass, shark, swordfish, tilefish (golden snapper), tuna (steaks and canned albacore). Of course some of those are unclean and Adventists wouldn't be eating them any way.

Those of us that eat fish should be limited our diet to Anchovies, Arctic char, Pacific flounder, herring, tilapia, wild Alaska and Pacific salmon; striped bass, and sturgeon. Fish that is safe to eat no more than once a month are: Alaskan halibut, black cod, cod, pollack, tuna (canned light).

Why is it unsafe to eat it more than once a month? And why is it safe to eat it once a month?

Shane

The human body will naturally eliminate mercury but it does so slowly. So what we want to avoid is consuming more mercury than we can naturally eliminate. Consuming more fiber, water, dark green leafy vegetables, broccoli and Vitamin C also help eliminate mercury. Mercury builds up in fish. Bigger fish, which eat the smaller fish, have higher levels of mercury because they are accumulating not only the mercury in the water but also the mercury of the fish they eat. So that is why we should limit our consumption of these bigger predator fish.

Dr. Rich

Ubetcha! Something smells a little fishy here. Lets hear it for the potato salad! (might change your mind if you tried my beer battered fish and chips)

Shane

Study after study shows that the benefits from the omega-3s in fish outweigh the risk of the mercury. That is not suggesting that we eat a lot of fish high in mercury. It suggests we follow the guidelines for eating the right fish at the right intervals. Even the Loma Linda health study showed pescatarians living longer vegans or lacto-ovo vegetarians.

Dr. Rich

Sorry Richard, How about my NEAR BEER battered chips and fish--is that better? Lets eat more avocados.

Tallmark

I'll continue my vegan lifestyle. I don't think I'm missing anything. Still strong as an ox, lots of endurance, no injuries and no drugs.

Dr. Rich

Good for you Tallmark, I think you are smart for doing that even though I eat meat. Flask seed oil will do the trick!

Shane

The Loma Linda study showed Vegans have the same life span as meat-eaters although they die from vastly different causes.

SivartM

Which vegans? All vegans? How much cake did they eat?

Sorry Richard, How about my NEAR BEER battered chips and fish--is that better? Lets eat more avocados.

That would be fine. I think the alcohol cooks out of the real beer anyway.

I love avacados.

Dr. Rich

Yes it does, but when I use beer, I open it about a week earlier and and let sit, so it is stale ale with no alcohol content. This is the best way to make the batter anyway. I get a beer from my neighbor because we don't have that stuff here. Then I invite him over for fish.

Suzanne Sutton

100 Percent of Fish in U.S. Streams Found Contaminated with Mercury

In a new study conducted by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), every single fish tested from 291 freshwater streams across the U.S. was found to be contaminated with mercury. "This study shows just how widespread mercury pollution has become in our air, watersheds and many of our fish in freshwater streams," said Interios Secretary Ken Salazar.

Mercury is a potent neurotoxin that builds up in the food chain at ever higher concentrations in predators such as large fish and humans. It is especially damaging to the developing nervous systems of fetuses ahd children, but can have severe effects on adults, as well. The pollutant enters the environment almost wholly as atmospheric emissions from industrial processes, primarily the burning of coal for electricity. It then spreads across the plant and settles back to the surface, eventually concentrating in rivers, lakes and oceans, where it enters the aquatic food chain.

The number one cause of human mercury poisoning in the U.S is the consumption of fish and shellfish.

Researchers tested the water, sediment and fish of the 291 streams between 1998 and 2005. Fish tested were mostly larger species near the top of the food chain, such as largemouth bass. All fish were contaminated with mercury, more than 66% of them at levels higher than those set by the Environmental Protection agency as a "level of concern for fish-eating mammals," according to Reuters. More than 25% of the fish were contaminated at levels higher than those set as the threshold for human consumption.

This study is the first to focus on mercury contamination of streams, rather than lakes, reservoirs, wetlands or oceans. The researchers found the highest mercury concentrations in fish from the coastal blackwater streams of the Southwest. Apparently the combination of pine forests and wooded wetlands from these regions transforms mercury very effectively into its more toxic organic form (methylmercuey). Mercury concentrations were also high in streams fed from areas witih a history of mining. Source: www.reuters.com. and NaturalNews.com.

Suzanne

Suzanne Sutton

The farmed seafood you're eating may have been raised on animal feces

by Ethan A. Huff, staff writer

(NaturalNews) More than 85 percent of the seafood consumed by Americans is imported, with much of it coming from China, Vietnam, and various other Asian countries that have a not-so-consistent track record of food safety. And as it turns out, conditions at many of the foreign facilities where imported seafood is processed before getting shipped to the states are so filthy and contaminated that if consumers knew just how bad things really were, they would likely think twice before buying that pack of scallops or shrimp from the grocery store.

As reported by Bloomberg, workers at Ngoc Sinh Seafoods Trading & Processing Export Enterprise in Vietnam were recently seen hauling plastic baskets of shrimp through the company's filthy, trash-ridden, and bug-infested facility. Containers full of the shrimp were loaded up with ice made from questionable, and often contaminated, tap water that the government recommends boiling before use, which has become the norm rather than the exception when it comes to seafood processing.

Many Chinese seafood farmers feed their fish animal waste

Similar unsanitary conditions are common throughout China as well, which is a major exporter of tilapia and scallops. According to Bloomberg, many seafood farmers in China actually feed their fish feces from pigs, geese, and other cattle, even though the practice is extremely unsafe. Not only does this exposure to animal waste tend to make the fish sick, but it also contaminates their water environments with excrement, which is often polluted with harmful bacteria like salmonella.

"Those conditions -- ice made from dirty water, animals near the farms, pigs -- are unacceptable," said Mansour Samadpour, a microbiologist, to Bloomberg Markets magazine about the dirty secrets of the seafood trade. Samadpour's company, IEH Laboratories & Consulting Group, specializes in testing the cleanliness of water for the shellfish farming industry.

Since the seafood industry is relatively cutthroat these days, certain unscrupulous seafood farmers, particularly in Asian countries, are cutting corners to boost profits, which puts consumers at high risk. In the case of Chinese fish farming, many operators have altogether stopped purchasing safer commercial feed, and have instead turned to exclusively feeding their fish potentially deadly animal waste.

"The manure the Chinese use to feed fish is frequently contaminated with microbes and salmonella," says Michael Doyle, Director of the University of Georgia's Center for Food Safety, about the larger problem of China's seafood farming industry.

FDA dropping the ball in protecting Americans against contaminated seafood

And while the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is supposed to be in charge of regulating the safety of imported seafood, the agency only inspects about 2.7 percent of all imported food, according to available data. The FDA is apparently too busy raiding raw milk dairy farms and imprisoning innocent farmers to bother with protecting the American public against potentially contaminated seafood.

Sources for this article include:

http://www.bloomberg.com

http://www.fishwatch.gov/farmed_seafood/outside_the_us.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com

Suzanne

Gail

We had a forward sent around the office a couple weeks back warning against canned fruit that was processed overseas, too, mainly in China.

The question that the person in the article asked, "Why do I need to buy fruit from there when we have lots of it here in the U.S.?" I agree with that and tend to buy local. But I didn't think about how extensive the cheap processed food was.

Samuel789

Fish is very useful for the physical health and fitness.

We can say it a clean fruit.

It is very effective for cholestrerol levels control and keeping the heart healthy.

It uses up the fat more efficiently and lose the extra body weight.

It is also very effective to remove the mixed and muscle mass pain.

Samuel789

Fish is very useful for the physical health and fitness.

We can say it a clean fruit.

It is very effective for cholestrerol levels control and keeping the heart healthy.

It uses up the fat more efficiently and lose the extra body weight.

It is also very effective to remove the mixed and muscle mass pain.

Any comment?

[

wayfinder

Matthew 15:36 NAS

and He took the seven loaves and the fish; and giving thanks, He broke them and started giving them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people.

John 21:13 NAS

Jesus came and took the bread and gave it to them, and the fish likewise.

Suzanne Sutton

Bizarre phenomenon of fish changing genders is happening all over the world: What's in the water?

by J. D. Heyes

(NaturalNews) What's going on in the Northland waters near Minnesota? Well, scientists and other experts aren't quite sure - yet.

Not just one type but almost all kinds of fish, to include some of the most popular gaming fish like bass and walley, are changing.

What - wait. Changing? Yes, and at least one local news team has been documenting these changes since 2002, when concerns were first emerging. A decade later, "scientists are beginning to call it a significant threat," the Northlands Newscenter reported in February.

"Walleye cakes, walleye bites, walleye sandwich...it's a popular delicacy in restaurants around the northland," the Newscenter said. "It's also a multi-million dollar industry, attracting hundreds of thousands of anglers to the Northland's beautiful lakes year round."

Feminization of male fish

While many area residents and not a few visitors to the area take the industry for granted in believing that the waters can be fished forever, scientists have discovered a major threat to the abilities of many kinds of fish to reproduce.

"Changes in, for example, the external characteristics of males where they start to resemble females," Dr. Gary Ankley of the U.S. EPA Lab in Duluth, Minn., told the Newscenter.

Dr. Pat Schoff added, of the Natural Resources Research Institute at the University of Minnesota-Duluth: "The small mouth bass and large mouth are sensitive to fish feminization. We're seeing lots of symptoms in these species."

How can fish actually change genders? Scientists aren't sure but they do know that it is a frightening phenomenon that is happening all over the world. Studies show thus far that a feminized male fish can suffer a reproductive disability of at least 76 percent and more; the more researchers look into this, the more they are finding fish that cannot reproduce at all.

The phenomenon has "actually caused some fish populations to go extinct," said Ankley.

Some of the leading scientific research examining the problem is taking place in Duluth, at UMD's NRRI, and also at an Environmental Protection Agency lab there. Scientists believe chemicals are behind the fish gender transformation.

"There's only a few labs in the world that can do this very effectively when we deal with these very potent chemicals," Ankley said. "There's a number of chemicals that can act as what we call estrogens."

Scientists and environmentalists note that there are literally thousands of chemicals that make it into the nation's streams, rivers and other waterways every day. They include medications, agricultural run-off and other substances that carry very powerful estrogens scientists believe may be altering fish genders.

"We can see everything from testicular tissue that is growing like an ovary. Or some fish have one teste and one ovary," said Schoff.

"The male testes actually has eggs in it," Ankley added.

5,000-8,000 different medications could be altering environment

Researchers know when they expose fish in the lab to such powerful estrogen compounds they will see nearly complete transformations from one gender to another, and that such transformation is dramatically harming fish populations.

"There's lower rates of reproduction or even no reproduction," Dr. Schoff said.

Scientists say they aren't sure what other substances and chemicals, besides estrogen, might be contributing to the gender transformations in nature.

"It turns out there are chemicals that can mimic natural estrogens and when you expose males to these chemicals they can start to achieve these female characteristics," Ankley said. "There's probably 5,000 to 8,000 different medications that are used and could enter the environment."

They say even substances as common as Ibuprofen might be contributing to the problem as well.

Sources:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6160974

http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112888785

Suzanne

phkrause

SAMUEL789

WELL I do not eat any flesh food at all

I have heard positive things about fish

I have heard negative things about fish

but if the original diet was fruits---grains---nuts

then the people in heaven will not be eating any