Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
abelisle

World Cup 2010

abelisle

Looks like the US is peaking at just the right time. Buddle ( a team member) is from my neighborhood

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/06/sports/soccer/06usteam.html

I'm sure there are CA members from other parts of the world. How is your team doing? Who do you pick as winning the whole thing? What is your nation's group? How do you think they'll fare? Why?

Alex (rooting for USA but my mind says Brazil)

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

phkrause

PKRAUSE

so I guess U.S. played ENGLAND and tied them

dgrimm60

Yep, and they should have won. I guess they just missed getting a goal.

abelisle

Yes. A tie for us was like a win and a tie for them was like a loss, especially considering how self-assured they were that they would not only beat us but go far in this competition.

The problem is that now the US and England must beat Algeria and Slovenia in their group to advance to the next round especially if one of these two teams manages a win on Sun. morning. Considering the craziness of the way things have played out so far, anything is possible.

Alex

abelisle

It's too bad we couldn't get a win since 86% of teams who win their 1st game advance to the next round.

But the USA still has a tough challenge against Slovenia later. Sometimes when you spend so much mental energy against an opponent, it's tough to get up for a lesser one.

Alex

abelisle
1st penalty kick in the tournament by Ghana on a good call by the ref (hand ball in the penalty box). Too bad since Serbia I think is really the better team but they were playing with only 10 men just prior to this situation

abelisle

So far Germany has shown itself the "class" of this competition. They thoroughly dismantled Australia (4 - 0)

BTW, did you see the "fair play" in the Netherlands - Denmark game/ When I Danish player was tackled hard and hurt his ankle, the Dutch stopped play and gave the ball to the Danes. It would be nice to see more "fair play" here in the States in our sporting events!

Alex

abelisle

1st "own goal"

This is when a team hits the ball into their own goal while trying to clear the ball away. It happened in the Denmark - Netherlands game and was committed by the Danes.

In one WC, a player from Columbia was killed because of this:

Andrés Escobar Saldarriaga (13 March 1967 - 2 July 1994) was a Colombian footballer who was shot and killed in Medellín. It is widely believed that he was murdered due to his own goal in the 1994 FIFA World Cup, which caused gambling losses to several powerful drug lords. Andrés Escobar is still held in the highest regard by Colombian fans, and is especially mourned and remembered by Atlético Nacional's fans. His brother, Santiago, has managed many Colombian teams.

abelisle

Japan 1 - Cameroon 0

1st WC win for Japan ever not playing on Japanese soil.And a well deserved win I feel.

phkrause

1st "own goal"

This is when a team hits the ball into their own goal while trying to clear the ball away. It happened in the Denmark - Netherlands game and was committed by the Danes.

In one WC, a player from Columbia was killed because of this:

Andrés Escobar Saldarriaga (13 March 1967 - 2 July 1994) was a Colombian footballer who was shot and killed in Medellín. It is widely believed that he was murdered due to his own goal in the 1994 FIFA World Cup, which caused gambling losses to several powerful drug lords. Andrés Escobar is still held in the highest regard by Colombian fans, and is especially mourned and remembered by Atlético Nacional's fans. His brother, Santiago, has managed many Colombian teams.

I remember that Alex, pretty sad state of affairs I'd say.

Ellen

Canada didn't get into the competition so we are free to back any teem we want without a guilty conscience.

I have a feeling Argentina is going to shine this time.

abelisle

Ellen,

Argentina sure looks like a contender. They have a lot of pace and a handful of strikers with lots of scoring potential.

Italy who is the reigning WC champion sure doesn't look the part. They were slow and tentative and they also lack young players with speed. Maybe they just need to warm up and get better as the tournament progresses?

Brazil plays today and they are ranked #1 in the world. Let's see if they perform up to their ranking? and they will be playing the most secretive team in the tournament - N. Korea

abelisle

1st goal in OT (extra time) by New Zealand and Portugal, specifically their star Ronaldo, are playing up to their negative reputation for faking injuries and taking dives - so much for "fair play"

abelisle

Incredible result today = Switzerland 1 - Spain 0

This is quite significant since Spain was touted by many eperts to win this tournament an the percentages go strongly against teams who lose their 1st group match. That plus Chile, a strong squad in Spain's group won their game and they look good!

As they say, it only takes one game, one chance, one goal.

We'll have to wait and see how this plays out. Right now as I write this, I'm waiting to see how the host nation, S. Africa will do in their 2nd game.

Alex

abelisle

Well, I knew this day would come. Quality always rises to the top eventually and Uruguay clearly outplayed S. Africa. Sad to say but I don't think S. Africa will advance to the next round and I don't think any host nation has failed to do so?

Now I'm looking forward to USA's 2nd match against Slovenia this Friday. I think this will have to be a "must" win for them in terms of gathering points to finish in the 1st two in their group.

abelisle

1st "hat trick"

Argentine striker Higuain scored 3 goals in what looks like a sure win over S. Korea.

Argentina now looks like a top contender along with Germany playing with great pace, good passing and solid defense.

abelisle

Greece makes history getting their 1st WC goal

France looks dismal - problems with their coach and lack of team play. Irish must be happy considering how France got to the WC on an illegal handball in the qualifying match which was missed by the ref. Poetic justice, eh?

Germany still looks good but not that strong against Serbia, especially considering they are playing with only 10 men. Let's see if Serbia can hold their lead (1 - 0) into the second half?

Game to watch = USA vs. Slovenia. This is a must win for the USA considering they only have 1 pt. And will England's goalie make another calamitous faux pas against Algeria, a team they should beat with ease?

Is there a Murphy's Law in the WC? I think so. What you would never imagine happening, can and probably will happen.

Alex

abelisle

Serbia 1 - Germany 0

1st loss for Germany in the 1st round since 1986?

Serbia looks good although playing with a 1 man advantage helps a bit. If Ghana wins their next game, this group will look very interesting going int the last games.

Woody

I don't know much about soccer ... but the refs seem to have it out for the USA.

abelisle

I agree Woody. That was a bad call but so far the refs have been quite good considering the close correct calls that have been made.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the USA comeback as well as they did. Now lets see how England does in this group against Algeria?

The USA can still advance if England wins and they beat Algeria in their last game.

abelisle

England sure isn't playing up to their reputation. Wonder why? Maybe they hyped themselves up too much? Maybe they really aren't that good? Maybe their midfield players aren't or can't service their primary striker, Wayne Rooney who by the way committed a soccer culture faux pas by speaking into a camera while leaving the pitch(field) condemning British fans who were booing the team. He later apologized. But if England fails to advance out of their group, the British media will more than lambast them - skewer might be a more appropriate word.

The Netherlands are the 1st team to advance out of their group with their 2 wins in 2 games and Denmark beating Cameroons in a head to head competition.

Can't wait til Wed. to see if USA can beat Algeria and advance. This World Cup has sure been full of surprises!

Alex

abelisle

Let's see how well France plays after their embarassing debacle of the last few days with a player sent home, arguments, cursing, refusal to practice, internal disharmony etc.

The nation of France is feeling humiliated by their team's behavior.

They will be playing S. Africa who has nothing to lose.

Alex