Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
Solja247

Vegetarian diet 'weakens bones'

Solja247

actually the he said this

Quote:

There was "practically no difference" between the bones of meat-eaters and ovolactovegetarians, who excluded meat and seafood but ate eggs and dairy products, he said.

However contrary to this, I have only met ONE healthy vegan. Im sure you guys have all heard about the 'eden diet' etc. Most people who talk about that, are skinny white people. Anyways yeah.

Shane

I think we need to be careful about touting wellness as some sort of badge of obedience. My wife and I are semi-vegetarians. We eat dairy products and fish. We place most of our focus on diet on eating low-fat, high-fiber foods that are not processed. I see a lot of processed vegetarian foods that are less than ideal. I also see a lot of vegetarian recipes that are loaded up with fat. I even see some calling for "vegan" margarine - both highly processed and high fat.

I think one can be a vegan and have healthy bones but they really have to watch what they eat to make sure their nutritional needs are met.

Thousands die from meat eating everyday without even knowing the cause. Many that have heart disease and various forums of cancer have gotten these from eating meat. Being a vegetarian is definitely a healthier lifestyle.

Outta Here

I'm always wary of reports like these. It could be that meat-eaters bones are more dense because those individuals weigh more and are forced to use their muscle more. It is common knowlege (I think) that use of the muscles increase bone density.

Anyway.

Rodney Willard

The preliminary results of the current version of the Adventist Health Study suggest that Adventist meat eaters and Adventist vegans have about the same annual mortality rate although from quite different classes of disease. Lacto-ovo-vegetarians have a lower annual mortality rate and those who add fish and or fish oil to their lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet have lowest annual mortality rate.

Shane

Well, It is nice to see I am in the group with the lowest mortality rate.

Woody

Well, It is nice to see I am in the group with the lowest mortality rate.

By the time I get to be old .... oh say in my 80s or 90s .... I will end up cursing the fact that I have a low mortality rate.

Suzanne Sutton

Well folks, think about it for a moment. The vegetarian, vegan animals, if you will, have no problem getting the proper nutrients from their totally plant based diet to support their massive bones. The cow, horse, buffalo, elephant, rhino, hippo, all on a totally meatless diet manage to survive and thrive on this bill of fare.

So what can be the problem when we humans have problems here? For one thing, many of us simply drop meat from our diets and do not supply the nutrients that should be included in a correct vegetarian diet. All the vegetarian animals eat loads of green vegetation. The lesson here for us is to include lots of green veggies in our diet. That's right our daily menu should include a variety of green veggies: broccoli, the various green leafy veggies as well as carrots, beets, cabbage, etc. The list is long. And don't forget salads with their rich supply of raw veggies. Remember all the vegetarian animals eat raw green produce. In addition we should emphasize the plant-based sources of calcium and other minerals that make strong bones: almonds, whole grains, legumes, (beans), blackstrap molasses, seeds and nuts. And, of course, luscious fruit is always in order and rounds out a good diet.

Unfortunately, many vegetarians do not include many of these foods in their daily diet and try to subsist on the fake meat, and other processed foods and lots of sweets. It doesn't work and we are misrepresenting the health concept when we are not educated and informed as to what the body requires.

Osteoporosis (the progressive bone-thinning disease), is a major problem in meat-eating USA, affecting millions and millions. Brittle, chalky bones can cause chronic back pain, fractured hips, spines and limbs and a host of other problems. Hip-replacement surgery is regularly being performed here in the US, as is knee-replacement surgery.

Vegetarian animals, too get lots of sunshine. And it is an absolute necessity that we too, get an adequate amount of sunlight--just don't overdo it! Vitamin D--the sunshine vitamin is currently making health headlines as an important health maintenance factor. Calcium retention in the bones is also favored by adequate weight-bearing exercise such as brisk walking, etc.

So, it's important to be informed and educated when we adopt the vegetarian diet. May the Lord help each one as we strive to serve Him better.

Suzanne

phkrause

Good post Suzanne, they should test those vegetarians that actually eat a vegetable diet with all the other things that the bible says we should eat.

pk

phkrause

You are correct dgrimm. If you get 3abn at all, they have a show called "Abundant Living" with Curtis and Paula Eakins, and they say as much. Its an awesome cooking show.

pk

Shane

I have no concern for lack of sunshine. Limiting it to 15 minutes a day would be difficult.

phkrause

9 Foods That Are Bad for Your Bones

Most people know what foods to should eat for strong bones — anything chock-full of bone-building calcium and its osteoporosis-fighting partner vitamin D. Just as important, but less often discussed, are the foods and beverages that take away from bone health. From overly-salty snacks to high-in-sugar sodas, certain foods can inhibit your body from absorbing calcium, reduce bone mineral density, and more. Beware of these foods that are bad for your bones.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/osteoporosis-pictures/bad-for-your-bones-foods.aspx

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this