Kingdom of Adventistan

Uriah Smith Patents the ‘Horsey Horseless Carriage.’

Quote:
Neigh What? The 1899 Horsey Horseless Carriage

Recently, while thumbing through a 1919 issue of Motor Travel: A Magazine for Automobile Owners, I stumbled upon an article titled “The Motor Car Back in ’99.” This story profiled an automobile that was made to look like a horse, mostly as a calming effect for real horses that shared the road. The article explained:

“Under the head of ‘New Inventions’ is a note about the ‘Horsey Horseless Carriage,’ which tells about Uriah Smith, of Battle Creek, Mich., and his method of preventing runaways on the part of horses who meet motor vehicles. The device included the life size image of a horse down to the shoulders, which was to be fastened in front of the carriage. This he warranted would allay the fears of any equine, ‘for the carriage would have all the appearance of a horse-drawn vehicle; the live horse would be thinking of another horse, and before he could discover his error and see that he had been fooled, the strange carriage would have passed, and would then be too late to grow frantic and fractious.’ The inventor also recommends his device as a wind brake and as a receptacle for gasoline.”

To this day, no one seems to know if the Horsey Horseless Carriage was ever built. However, Time included the vehicle among its 50 worst-ever cars, and this illustration—of unknown origin—has been floating around the Internet.

It’s interesting to note that the alleged inventor was Uriah Smith, a well-known historical figure with a fertile mind. A Seventh-day Adventist, Smith was a prolific author and illustrator as well as an inventor, earning a patent for an artificial leg with a moveable ankle.

Smith was obviously a smart guy, but I don’t know about this invention. If I were the horse in the next lane, the sight of this eviscerated equine would freak me out and send me trotting for the high hills.

http://cgdailydrive.com/neigh-what-the-1899-horsey-horseless-carriage/

Patent number: D30551, Issue date: Apr 11, 1899

https://www.google.com/patents/USD30551

Other Inventions

* Tablet for Rapid Writing

https://www.google.com/patents/US418991

* Spectacles

https://www.google.com/patents/US411971

* Improvement in Artificial Legs

https://www.google.com/patents/US39361

Textus Receptus

My wife went to a garage sale last week an bought a 1912 copy of U. Smith Daniel and Revelation in almost immaculate condition for $5! A beautifully leather bound copy with wonderful prints. Sadly, it looked liked as if it never had been read. The previous owners were not Adventist, just anique book collectors.

• 1 month later...

A Tribute To The Pioneers of our church

(Perhaps the most appropriate place since Uriah Smith seems to be the most vilely denigrated of all our pioneers.)

Who took every doctrine and belief they had been taught, or encountered, and spent hours searching the scriptures as the Bereans before them to find the truth while we read book after book by so-and-so who tells us what to think and believe, convinced we are rich and increased with goods, having need of nothing, yet know not that we are naked and blind, with the Lord outside knocking and knocking and knocking with little to no response.

Well were they called ‘the church of Philadelphia’ as they loved each other striving for unity and harmony in spite of differences in understandings – while we battle and fight desperately trying to kill each other.

Who rather be called heretics than sell their soul for the approval of the world, while we do all in our power to prove we are no different.

Who traveled in snow and cold, or scorching heat, by horse or buggy, or smoky trains, to town after town answering to the call of the Lord, stepping out in faith when deathly ill – while we, for the most part are comfortably well-off in the little we do.

Who lived in poverty often, striving for what little they could come up with to spend for the Lord, while we, for the most part comfortably well off, need sacrifice very little for the Lord.

Who died tired from their hard labors, while we, for the most part are comfortably well-off. Revelation 14:13… Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

Well, did our Lord say of them, Revelation 3:8 “I know thy works… thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name… know that I have loved thee.” Our God knew full well those who would come after would vilely denigrate their spiritual knowledge and labor substituting thin air in its place.

Teresaq, humbly grateful to have been born into a church with such worthy role models in both doctrine and action as our founders.

Revelation 3:17Because thou sayest , I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich ; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed , and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear ; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see . 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent .

Addition to above 8-22-13 5:42 pm: Who did not devalue women by placing them in adoring worship of themselves, on the contrary, as imperfectly as they may have practiced it, worked side by side with their sisters in the Lord.

I humbly ask God to grant me repentance for my blind and hardened heart that did not value the biblical doctrines as formulated through much humble prayerful study on the part of our pioneers and has brought such relief and gratitude to the hearts of many.

How many of us have had the joy of sharing any or “all the principal points of our faith” our pioneers had “studied and prayed earnestly” “for… as for hidden treasure” “praying for light and studying the word” “in order that they might know its meaning, and be prepared to teach it with power”. All points that have been handed to us on a silver platter with no effort of our own. Truths of the bible that have either lost much of its beauty to us in our pride, or have been made burdensome or tiresome by the unconverted amongst us.

Such as, The State of The Dead.

- How many souls have been made joyful that God is not capable of torturing those who willfully hate and/or disregard Him?

- That our loved ones rest in blissful peace now, unaware of the tragedies their friends and families may be suffering through?

- That any and all ‘ghosts and goblins’ are only evil spirits whose only mission is to deceive and harm us?

- That we have a very real, material God not the least incapacitated by that materiality, but One that we will be able to see, feel, talk with in that glorious day…One Who will make His home with us, that we will be able to visit at will fully able to dwell in His glorious light without the harm that would come to us now.

How many have relieved souls who had been repeatedly told they were being punished when a child had died from a violent hit-and-run, or a baby had died a few days after birth because the mother had left her husband for repeated infidelities by pointing out the scriptural truth? A truth accepted and handed down by the very pioneers we now seem to be so very ashamed of and gleefully spread far and wide any and all failings or “wrong beliefs” real or imagined. (Gossip running into slander, according to the bible.)

Such as, The Sanctuary Doctrine.

- The Holy Place which symbolized Christ and His ministry of redemption and salvation, the Most Holy which symbolized the Father and His desire to abide with us albeit veiled and invisibly, the oil which symbolized the Holy Spirit Who also labors incessantly for us.

- Which reinforces the truth of that very real, tangible, and personal God Who created a very real and material heaven we will one day go to, a heaven full of glories we can only imagine.

- With real corporeal angels we will recognize as our own guarding angel who often protected, or warned, us of danger. Angels who moment by moment wooed our hearts with the truth, presented the truth when the enemy came calling with his specious temptations. Angels who will carry in their material arms resurrected babies to their resurrected material parents, or to heaven if the parents were lost, who will carry us also to meet the corporeal Jesus and the corporeal Father in the cloudy chariot to go to that very material heaven for a glorious rest from all the evil on this planet before coming back to resume day to day living – in a much different material world and circumstances.

Such as, the covenant between each believer and God. Which is so special God disregards infant baptism marking His approval only when we are mentally/emotionally/spiritually capable of loving and following Him?

- That His salvation is so full, only full water immersion can express it.

The true Sabbath. The seventh-day Sabbath that symbolized to Adam and Eve that it was the Lord Who supplied all their needs and not their own work, and symbolizes to us in our fallen state the need to that in “returning and rest shall (we) be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be (our) strength” if we rely on the Lord to remind us daily and conscientiously to practice the ‘steps’ to Christ letting go of “our works” to keep the law, trusting wholly in God Who is more than able to “to save us to the uttermost” “work(ing) in us both to will and to do of His good pleasure”.

Teresaq, humbly grateful for the sacrificial and prayerful study of our pioneers on each doctrine, point by point, studies preserved in articles and books, handed to me on a silver platter if I will but look them up and gratefully accept them.

I state truth. The souls who love God, who believe in Christ, and who eagerly grasp every ray of light, will see light, and rejoice in the truth. They will communicate the light. They will grow in holiness. Those who receive the Holy Spirit will feel the chilling atmosphere that surrounds the souls of others by whom these great and solemn realities are unappreciated, and spoken against. They feel that they are in the council of the ungodly, of men who stand in the way of sinners, and sit in the seat of the scornful. {14MR 127.1}

Uriah Smith

This thread focuses on the life of Uriah Smith.

Uriah Smith was apparently 12 years old when as a Millerite he went through the 1844 time of the great disappointment. At the age of 20 his faith was restored and he joined the Sabbath keeping Adventist group.

Author of "Daniel and the Revelation" - I am glad to see a thread that deals with his life.

in Christ,

Bob

I humbly ask God to grant me repentance for my blind and hardened heart that did not value the biblical doctrines as formulated through much humble prayerful study on the part of our pioneers and has brought such relief and gratitude to the hearts of many.

How many of us have had the joy of sharing any or “all the principal points of our faith” our pioneers had “studied and prayed earnestly” “for… as for hidden treasure” “praying for light and studying the word” “in order that they might know its meaning, and be prepared to teach it with power”. All points that have been handed to us on a silver platter with no effort of our own. Truths of the bible that have either lost much of its beauty to us in our pride, or have been made burdensome or tiresome by the unconverted amongst us.

Teresaq, humbly grateful for the sacrificial and prayerful study of our pioneers on each doctrine, point by point, studies preserved in articles and books, handed to me on a silver platter if I will but look them up and gratefully accept them.

I state truth. The souls who love God, who believe in Christ, and who eagerly grasp every ray of light, will see light, and rejoice in the truth. They will communicate the light. They will grow in holiness. Those who receive the Holy Spirit will feel the chilling atmosphere that surrounds the souls of others by whom these great and solemn realities are unappreciated, and spoken against. They feel that they are in the council of the ungodly, of men who stand in the way of sinners, and sit in the seat of the scornful. {14MR 127.1}

Amen!

BTW - Is this the "same Teresaq" that was here a few years ago??

What happened?

in Christ,

Bob