Kingdom of Adventistan
Philip UK

SOS From An SDA In Murphy NC, USA (On Their Behalf)

Philip UK

Hello All,

I am Philip from the UK - baptised in the Baptist Church and a Born-again Christian - been going to the SDA church in the UK for some years and will likely become a member soon - one of my new sites is www.SDAForum.org (100% free) and will make this a research site for the SDA church and have already contacted Amazing Discoveries and they were happy for me to put their videos on that site, as well as the publishers of EG White's books and they have given permission for 10 of her books to be posted there also.

The reason I joined is that there is an SDA man in Murphy NC (USA) who says he is homeless, living in a Catholic shelter and is looking for a job (currently some insufficient and unstable work in a baker's) - I found out about him from the 3ABN Prayer Warrior's list, as I am on it - have had dialogue with Adventist Community Services in the USA and nothing organised yet and the outlook not so positive (no one in the area etc.). Had a positive reference from the Catholic Manager in his Homeless Shelter - however to be honest, I cannot say about his background etc. personally as I have never met him, although he seemed fairly reasonable (although quite stressed) in his emails.

If you can provide a job, or know of anyone in that area who can (he could also relocate he said), please do not hesitate to IM me - I made a website about him and could pass that on if you were able to help and we are just trying to update his work skills there and he said he is "university educated in business, etc. ... and have experience in manufacturing and construction, labor thru technical thru management" - thank you very much.

In Christ,

Philip.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

rudywoofs (Pam)

I'm perplexed. The only homeless shelter in Murphy, NC is the Hurlburt Johnson Friendship House. They do not appear to be a specific Catholic entity.

The shelter apparently provides lots of help for obtaining employment. From the shelter's website:

Quote:
Upon acceptance into the shelter, the client's needs are assessed and a course of service needs are determined to move the client to self-sufficiency. All able-bodied residents are required to follow a program of assessment, job search, volunteering and employment.

If this homeless man is SDA, has he sought assistance from the local church?

Sounds to me that there is more to this situation than meets the eye... thinking

Philip UK

Hello Pam,

Thank you for your reply.

I have spoken to the manager/admin of the center at some length by phone and in fact from the phonecall as I understood they do go to a Catholic Church also.

Re: getting work, actually the SDA homeless man said that the center is heavily subscribed and according to him, he may get turfed out very soon (in winter) and that the center has people with all sorts of issues such as drug addicts etc. and that work is quite scarce, in the general area.

They advised me that they had sought help from the local church and according to them that has not been possible to get: I have not heard the church's side of the story for balance and would not likely want to comment further publically on such an issue in any case.

As you correctly say, it all seems quite complicated - on a positive note, the Catholic manager/admin that I spoke to gave a positive character reference at the time of speaking for the homeless SDA man.

Christian best wishes,

Philip.

Philip UK

PHILIP

I will be praying for this man and this situation

dgrimm60

Thank you.

Philip UK

As Pam asked, has this man tried to get help from his local SDA church?

Thank you for the comment.

I had asked him this and on the 12th September by email he said that help was not forthcoming after requesting it from them: according to him and not knowing their side of the story or the exact communication that was made.

As he had given me contacts in the Conference and his shelter manager/admin, I followed them up by phone, as he had chosen not to share his local church's contact details and I had not pressed him on that - however as there has not been sufficient progress with the contacts he did provide, perhaps I should ask him if I can get his local church's details to "try and smooth things out" in their communication, even though he was very negative regarding their potential for help after apparently already trying - not taking sides in any way and would likely imagine his church would have more things to say and a different opinion.

I will pass on the suggestions (anonymously without giving this site or thread) that have been made that his local church is a good way to go if at all possible and see if this spurs him into being forthcoming with their contact details and also pass on the prayer support comments.

rudywoofs (Pam)

Philip, I may be way wrong, but I'm getting the impression that the man you are trying so very hard to assist is not being completely honest with you. I don't know, but perhaps he has mental health issues..

Philip UK

Philip, I may be way wrong, but I'm getting the impression that the man you are trying so very hard to assist is not being completely honest with you. I don't know, but perhaps he has mental health issues..

Thank you for the comment Pam.

As mentioned, I had spoken to the shelter manager/admin for some time and in fact they had been reasonably/quite positive about them and not mentioned something like that, although had said that he might be a bit "highly strung".

In addition from the emails that I got they had seemed a bit stressed and perhaps slightly erratic - however they had said that the shelter was a difficult environment to operate from with drug addicts etc.. In any case, I will keep trying to see what can be done to help them on their feet and bear in mind what you said.

Philip UK

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and prayers - they were now forthcoming with their local SDA church and I found it was also in Murphy (had not told to me before) - have now spoken to the Pastor who wants them to phone him to try to resolve things - please keep praying for them and if I hear a positive outcome can relate the matter here.

Philip UK

Phillip, I added this situation to our prayer list.

Thank you - from another email I got today from the SDA guy in the homeless shelter it seems he could really do with prayer. I have just phoned the Murphy pastor again and he says he is actively trying to get in contact - please also pray for the pastor to have wisdom and discernment on how to deal with this quite complex situation.

Philip UK

Much more positive, currently at least, update: thank you for your prayers for Wendell and please keep praying for him.

James 5:16 (KJV)

"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

After prolonged communication with the Murphy Pastor etc., Wendell is now staying temporarily at least, at a church member's house in Murphy and is also able to use their car - he apparently has some temporary job in January and is trying to seek further work and a more permanent status, as things are still non-constant, according to him and he wants to set himself up in his own house with a reliable job etc..

In Christ,

Philip.

Philip UK

James 5:16 (KJV) "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

Hello Friends, 

Thank you for your prayers for Wendell: hopefully this may be a final update - he just emailed me and has now relocated (perhaps still with another SDA church member he had mentioned in a previous email, in another US region than before) and is in employment and also likes his new local church.

In Christ,

Philip