Kingdom of Adventistan
phkrause

Diabetes

phkrause

How to Steer Clear of Diabetes

The treatment of diabetes is highly individualized. It will depend on the type of diabetes, whether you have other active medical problems, as well as your age and general health at time of diagnosis. However, one fact remains constant in treatment: if you have diabetes, you must make healthier lifestyle choices in diet, exercise, and other habits. These will help to improve glycemic (blood sugar) control and prevent or minimize complications of diabetes.

http://unsugarize.com/articles/how-to-steer-clear-of-diabetes.html

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

joeb

"Eat a diet low in saturated fat..."

Stopped reading.

Why?  As a diabetic who has educated myself about it it makes perfect sense to me.  Saturated fats raise cholesterol levels, and diabetics have problems with cholesterol levels as diabetes tends to make them rise.  

Geoarrge

Why?  As a diabetic who has educated myself about it it makes perfect sense to me.  Saturated fats raise cholesterol levels, and diabetics have problems with cholesterol levels as diabetes tends to make them rise.  

Saturated fats tend to raise HDL and increase the size of LDL molecules making them less likely to get embedded in arterial walls.   Low cholesterol levels impair healing, particularly maintenance of the brain and the production of steroid hormones, among other things. Furthermore fat must be the primary source of energy when restricting carbohydrate consumption in order to reverse insulin resistance. 

rudywoofs (Pam)

Saturated fats tend to raise HDL and increase the size of LDL molecules making them less likely to get embedded in arterial walls.   Low cholesterol levels impair healing, particularly maintenance of the brain and the production of steroid hormones, among other things. Furthermore fat must be the primary source of energy when restricting carbohydrate consumption in order to reverse insulin resistance. 

yep.. and coconut oil, in particular, is one of the best saturated oils to use for cooking 

Gregory Matthews

Diabetes occurs in several forms and is known under a variety of names.  The types of diabetes are:

Type 1

Type 2                       90 %

Gestational Diabetes

Surgically Induced Diabetes

Chemically Induced Diabetes

Type 1.5                  AKA Latent Autoimmune Diabetes  (LADA)

The most common forms are the top three of the above.

The etiology and treatments may differ among the above.

Many people confuse diabetes with a disease called Diabetes Insipidus which also exists in several forms.

joeb

I would bet that the author of the article has in mind animal fats, hydrogenated fats, etc....   As to coconut oil being super healthy the jury is still out on that.  I'm not saying it's bad, just that it's a little too early to say it's a wonderfood.  I'll take avocados over coconut oil every time.  

As to high cholesterol levels being healthy for you, well, I guess I'll be dying soon as my cholesterol levels have always been low.    Naturally so, even when I ate red meat and deep-fried foods on a regular basis.  They have stayed low even though I can't exercise much and have gained a lot of weight in last 15 years or so because of forced inactivity.  

Funny how until I began really suffering the effects of diabetes I've always been a fast healer.  Now I don't heal quite as fast, and my cholesterol levels are higher than they used to be but still low.....   

phkrause
9 Tips to Lower Blood Sugar Naturally

It’s the Holy Grail for people with diabetes – checking your blood sugar and seeing the numbers right in line. Can lifestyle changes help? Yes, say nutrition experts and top diabetes doctors. Check out these 9 tips to learn how to lower your blood sugar naturally...

http://www.lifescript.com/health/centers/diabetes/articles/10_tips_to_lower_blood_sugar_naturally.aspx

phkrause
The Pre-diabetes Diet Plan

By Hillary Wright, M.Ed, RD

The balanced-plate approach focuses on restructuring how different kinds of foods populate your plate based on their carbohydrate content. This method is similar to those of other organizations, including the USDA’s ChooseMyPlate.gov, which replaced the Food Pyramid with the plate approach; the American Institute for Cancer Research’s New American Plate for cancer prevention; and the Harvard School of Public Health’s Healthy Eating Plate—all of which are designed to promote a healthier weight, better heart health, and a lower risk of diabetes and cancer. The idea is to manage what’s on your plate so you’re visually satisfied and don’t feel deprived, but the net effect of what happens in your bloodstream is conducive to lowering your circulating insulin levels and trimming calories from your diet. Let’s break down the balanced-plate approach into steps (Carb-Distributed Diet Approach 1 (pages 54-59).

Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/Wellness/Health/The-Prediabetes-Diet-Plan.aspx#O1YfTPBRlg6zMtEx.99

Edited by pkrause

B/W Photodude

I recommend that people see the movie "Forks Over Knives." If you haven't seen it, it is available thru Netflix. The Dr that did the research told how diet modification for a lot of people brought them to where they could discontinue a lot of their medications including in some cases medications for diabetes. Of course, as always, don't do this without discussing it with your doctor.

The trailer:

phkrause

The trailer says it all. Looks like a great movie for sure. It's also amazing that anytime they talk about what is the worst food to eat, it always comes back to eating red meat. Not that chicken, turkey, etc. are that much better!

B/W Photodude

The trailer says it all. Looks like a great movie for sure. It's also amazing that anytime they talk about what is the worst food to eat, it always comes back to eating red meat. Not that chicken, turkey, etc. are that much better!

I believe in the full movie they discuss some dairy issues with a recommendation for nearly a vegan diet. The primary author of the content is a physician.

phkrause
Rev Run and Wife Justine Speak Out About Diabetes

One in three Americans are at risk of having diabetes. Many people who develop diabetes have one or more family members with the disease. African Americans are nearly twice as likely to develop diabetes as Caucasian Americans. These are the statistics that hit home with hip-hop legend Rev Run and his wife Justine.
Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/Wellness/Galleries/Rev-Run-and-Wife-Justine-Speak-Out-About-Diabetes.aspx#U6QlhqwDLcsTLLWC.99

phkrause

The Pre-diabetes Diet Plan

The balanced-plate approach focuses on restructuring how different kinds of foods populate your plate based on their carbohydrate content. This method is similar to those of other organizations, including the USDA’s ChooseMyPlate.gov, which replaced the Food Pyramid with the plate approach; the American Institute for Cancer Research’s New American Plate for cancer prevention; and the Harvard School of Public Health’s Healthy Eating Plate—all of which are designed to promote a healthier weight, better heart health, and a lower risk of diabetes and cancer. The idea is to manage what’s on your plate so you’re visually satisfied and don’t feel deprived, but the net effect of what happens in your bloodstream is conducive to lowering your circulating insulin levels and trimming calories from your diet. Let’s break down the balanced-plate approach into steps (Carb-Distributed Diet Approach 1 (pages 54-59).
Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/Wellness/Health/The-Prediabetes-Diet-Plan.aspx#

phkrause

Top Diabetes Skin Conditions and How to Spot Them

Got an itchy rash or bumps that won’t go away? It could be a result of diabetes, a chronic metabolic disorder that affects major organs. See which diabetes skin treatments will work for you...

http://www.lifescript.com/health/centers/diabetes_2/articles/top_diabetes_skin_conditions_and_how_to_spot_them.aspx

phkrause

On the Run and Managing Diabetes

Missy Foy, who has type 1 diabetes and took part in the 2000 Olympic Marathon Trials, still runs competitively and recreationally, and writes about training, racing, having diabetes and managing blood sugars on her website and blog, Training bLog. In these excerpts, Foy explains how she does it...

http://www.lifescript.com/health/centers/diabetes_1/articles/on_the_run_and_managing_diabetes.aspx

phkrause

Insulin Injections for Beginners

You have type 2 diabetes and have been taking oral medications to regulate your blood sugar. Now your doctor says it’s time to add insulin to your diabetes treatment plan. You hate needles, so how do you handle it? We asked experts for answers to this and other questions you may have…

http://www.lifescript.com/health/centers/diabetes_2/articles/insulin_injections_for_beginners.aspx

phkrause

Living With Diabetes

Blogger Riva Greenberg has been dealing with type 1 diabetes for 40 years and is committed to helping people with diabetes stay healthy. The author of 50 Diabetes Myths That Can Ruin Your Life (Da Capo) and The ABCs Of Loving Yourself With Diabetes (SPI Management LLC) also writes about the condition on her website, Diabetes Stories. Read on for excerpts of her posts about living with diabetes...

http://www.lifescript.com/health/centers/diabetes_1/articles/living_with_diabetes.aspx

phkrause

Why Lifestyle Changes Can’t Wait

If you’re overweight, eating poorly or exercising infrequently, don’t wait to make lifestyle changes, says Mark Hyman, M.D. In this exclusive Lifescript interview, the physician and best-selling author discusses how blood sugar issues can lead to serious health problems long before a diabetes diagnosis...

http://www.lifescript.com/health/centers/diabetes_2/articles/why_lifestyle_changes_cant_wait.aspx

phkrause

8 Facts about Insulin Use for Type 2 Diabetes

When you think about diabetes, insulin therapy is probably the first treatment that comes to mind. But the way insulin is used to help control type 1 diabetes is different from how it’s used for type 2 diabetes.

http://www.lifescript.com/health/centers/diabetes_2/m-slideshows/8_facts_about_insulin_use_for_type_2_diabetes.aspx

phkrause

Carb Counting Tips for People With Diabetes

Eat too many carbs, and your blood sugar will be too high. Eat too few, and it might go too low. How to get carb counting just right? Try these 12 simple tips...

http://www.lifescript.com/health/centers/diabetes_2/articles/carb_counting_tips_for_people_with_diabetes.aspx