Kingdom of Adventistan
phkrause

Diabetes

Rahab

my Spanish friend's  story

It was about a year ago that my Spanish friend (she doesn’t speak any English and I don’t speak Spanish but yet we are friends now for over 7 years), was diagnosed with type I diabetes.  They put her on insulin and she had a pump installed by her stomach.  It was very serious and the doctor told her that her pancreas was dead and not responding.

I tried to tell her in my broken Spanish that I do not eat meat or dairy or eggs.  I tried to tell her to eat lots of vegetables and go back to her traditional way of eating beans and brown rice too.  Even though the doctors told her no fruit, I told her that fruit was good if you eat the whole food and not too much of it.  I repeated this as often as I had a chance to do so. 

Several months ago, she purchased one of these blenders and she started making smoothies for her breakfast.  She made a really big one for breakfast.   She put in fruit of all kinds (mostly berries, apples, a bit of orange), and seeds that offer lots of fiber and nutrients like flax and chia..  A few vegetables went in there too just not sure which ones, I think spinach might be one of them.  Then her later meals consisted of mainly vegetables in soups and beans.   Within a short period of time, she was off all medications and no more pump and no more doctors.  She is very happy and has her energy back too. 

I’m so happy that she trusted me and gave it a try… I’m just amazed really the fast and remarkable turnaround.  Her pancreas was not dead, just sleeping.  Ha!

Victory!!!  :flower:

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

phkrause

That sounds great. I was diagnosed with type 1 about 2 months ago. I read up on it and was told by a kidney doctor that, at least he thinks so, that it can't be type 1, because you usually get that around age 12 or before 40?? Your at the mercy of the doctors!! Personally at the moment even though I'm going along with it, I don't buy it. But the thing is when I check my blood sugar does go up and down. At this point I have to believe that my pancreas is not working correctly?? It's interesting because it came on suddenly! Been going to my doctor for years, every 6 months, nothing, nothing, and than all of a sudden diabetes?? I guess I still don't buy it. Anyway there was a interesting article in the Adventist Review, the May issue about this. If you the the magazine you should read it, or if not I posted it in another thread!!

Morwenna

Take a look at Forks Over Knives; How Not to Die; and the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. You may be surprised to learn that controlling (even reversing) diabetes is more in your own hands than you may think--don't give control to doctors who may not be familiar with God's plans for healthful living. 

Rahab

I know it is hard to change but when you see the results right before your very eyes, it is encouraging.  My Spanish friend is only in her mid 40s.  The machine she used to make smoothie breakfast is called a bullit I think.  I don't see her snack at all and she has tons of energy and is losing some added weight too.  

Forks over Knives is good, and Dr. Michael Greger is excellent too.

phkrause

Diabetes Food Advice You Should — and Shouldn’t — Follow to Manage Your Blood Sugar

Creating a good diabetes diet starts with being able to tell good advice from bad advice. This guide with some of the top diabetes myths and facts can help.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes/diet/best-worst-diabetes-food-advice-dietitians-heard/?

Morwenna

Hmm. I think there's some bad advice in that article about discerning the good from the bad. Anyway. That's my cue to disappear from this thread. 

Good luck to you all.