Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
rudywoofs (Pam)

Swiss Jews

rudywoofs (Pam)
8 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

I was just wondering how far back the dna samples usually go? And what would you recommend for places to search out ancestry of say my family line?  PM me pls if that would be better to answer. How far back can the average user/customer usually get? I have heard that I have Viking in me, (Likely The Mighty Thor, lol) I would be interested to find out how far I could get on our family line.What are average costs for these companies? :)

average cost for an autosomal DNA test is about $89, some a bit more, some less...  The autosomal DNA test gives you results from both your father and mother's sides, and is generally the most useful.  It is also the test that will show the estimated ethnicities that have been passed down to you over the generations from 1000s of years.  Bear in mind, the ethnicities are only estimates, and are calculated differently by the various testing companies who use population samples from across the globe.  One person's ethnicity percentages will not be the same as a sibling.... that's because each person inherits varying segments of DNA from the parents' chromosomes (and you only get 50% from each parent).

As to which test is best:  it depends on what you're goal is.... if it's just to look at ethnicity, I'd go with Ancestry, FamilyTreeDNA (FTDNA), or MyHeritage.  23andMe is "okay," but I find their website slow and not to be very user friendly.  If you're wanting to study your paternal haplogroup (which gets passed down father, to son, to son, to son, etc), then FamilyTreeDNA would be best, as you'd need at least a Y-DNA37 test.  If you're wanting to explore your family tree and find new cousins and/or break down brick walls in your family tree, probably Ancestry is your best choice.

JoeMo
10 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

if I am a direct descendedt of The Mighty Thor and his beautiful hammer. he has.lol

Be careful about what you wish for.  If you were a son of Thor, you might be a Nephilim!:rollingsmile:

CoAspen

I am using Family Tree DNA and it allows you to do a family tree online while also searching other persons trees. I also did the Y-dna.  Ancestry wants you to sign up for that after a period of time. So for me Family Tree is best. I do have additional software that I am using on my Mac. What ever I fill out on my Mac software, I can import to Family Tree via Gedcom file. Some of the trees can be quite extensive as they allow linking. Has been very helpful. I already know my surname side and most of my mothers, my sister did most of that by hand. Now working on the maternal side of both familys. Have found some interesting branches back in the ol' tree!!

The Wanderer
20 minutes ago, JoeMo said:

Be careful about what you wish for.  If you were a son of Thor, you might be a Nephilim!:rollingsmile:

Lol. Very good one JoeMo!!

The Wanderer
7 minutes ago, CoAspen said:

I am using Family Tree DNA and it allows you to do a family tree online while also searching other persons trees. I also did the Y-dna.  Ancestry wants you to sign up for that after a period of time. So for me Family Tree is best. I do have additional software that I am using on my Mac. What ever I fill out on my Mac software, I can import to Family Tree via Gedcom file. Some of the trees can be quite extensive as they allow linking. Has been very helpful. I already know my surname side and most of my mothers, my sister did most of that by hand. Now working on the maternal side of both familys. Have found some interesting branches back in the ol' tree!!

So are other people able to access the info I uncover about my family tree on these sites?  Thats not very private.

CoAspen

You can choose to make it private. I leave mine open so that others will see and contact me with more info if they wish. Being open is very useful, otherwise I would not have been able to find more of my ancestry. Example; way back in the 1600's a sibling of my ancestor moved off to Australia/New Zealand. Probably an early  immigrant/marriage situation. Haven't contacted them yet for more info.

rudywoofs (Pam)
1 hour ago, The Wanderer said:

So are other people able to access the info I uncover about my family tree on these sites?  Thats not very private.

As CoAspen stated, you can have your family tree "private" (mine is not only "private", but it is unsearchable on the internet).  You can also choose not to have a family tree at all.

B/W Photodude
8 hours ago, rudywoofs (Pam) said:

If you're wanting to explore your family tree and find new cousins and/or break down brick walls in your family tree, probably Ancestry is your best choice.

I am sure that some here know that the Golden State Killer was tracked down from one of the ancestry sites. Apparently the DNA of the killer was submitted and relatives of the killer were located. I have not read all of the details, but the dna trail was how they got onto him.

rudywoofs (Pam)
5 minutes ago, B/W Photodude said:

I am sure that some here know that the Golden State Killer was tracked down from one of the ancestry sites. Apparently the DNA of the killer was submitted and relatives of the killer were located. I have not read all of the details, but the dna trail was how they got onto him.

the DNA was not submitted to a testing company.... it was submitted to a free website called gedmatch.com, where folks who've done their DNA tests can upload their raw DNA data.  Among other things, the website allows comparisons with others who've uploaded their own raw data from their tests done at most of the various testing sites (FTDNA, Ancestry, 23andMe, MyHeritage, LivingDNA).  

B/W Photodude
1 minute ago, rudywoofs (Pam) said:

the DNA was not submitted to a testing company.... it was submitted to a free website called gedmatch.com

Thanks for the correction, albeit a technical difference!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this