Kingdom of Adventistan

Ellen G. White: American Prophet

ELLEN G WHITE; AMERICAN PROPHET is a recent book that is contraversal among some people.

Frankly, I  am quite positive about it, although I do not agree with every statement that it makes.

The SDA Biblical Research Institute publishes a periodical  that comments on current SDA issues.  The following URL takes you to one such periodical that contains an article on this book.

https://adventistbiblicalresearch.org/sites/default/files/BRI%20newsltr%2010-14%20%28%2348%29_0.pdf

To see all published issues from the Biblical Research Institute, click here:

https://adventistbiblicalresearch.org/newsletters

Near the end of his article, Michael Campbell says:

Altogether, Ellen Harmon White: American Prophet makes a significant contribution to Ellen G. White studies. It is a major new interpretive work. Overall, it highlights new interpretative trends.
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a not so proud part of our history and tradition that needs some serious reexamination.

I tend to turn a person off when they spend most of their dissertation critiquing another person or institution. Maybe when, as individuals, we have multitudinous institutions of enormous benefit to all the world, as a direct result of our efforts and dependance upon God, we might have the right to sit in the judgment seat. Until then we would probably be better served to spend our time making effort to carry the gospel of grace to hurting humanity, rather than wasting our time tearing down the work of others who, if they are working with less than perfect activity, haven't yielded to the influence of the accuser of the brethren.

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley: 

I tend to turn a person off when they spend most of their dissertation critiquing another person or institution. 

Then you probably turn most of our preachers off, as the typical sermon is about reproving people of their sins. Anyway, remember that, when you're recounting the sins, atrocities etc. of the Catholic Church. I just don't get this aversion to correction in a church whose mission is to call people, including fellow Christians, to reexamination.

You clearly think that because the church is big and has brought benefits to the world, it is above correction. Well, the same can be said about many large institutions - including the Catholic Church.

Then you probably turn most of our preachers off, as the typical sermon is about reproving people of their sins. Anyway, remember that, when you're recounting the sins, atrocities etc. of the Catholic Church. I just don't get this aversion to correction in a church whose mission is to call people, including fellow Christians, to reexamination.

You clearly think that because the church is big and has brought benefits to the world, it is above correction. Well, the same can be said about many large institutions - including the Catholic Church.

I don't recall Jesus giving instruction to the disciples to carry the record of everyone's sins to the world. The Word is clear enough about the record of man's evils. Reading the Word regularly puts us in touch with how our Father deals with the sins of all mankind. Just having read Exodus 20 and 21 again reveals how patient He is to those who were just delivered after over 400 years of enslavement with a nation that set themselves above the God of Love, not to mention the patience He revealed to the very nation who enslaved His children.

In light of all that, this below is what was given for those delivered, for the sake of those who yet needed to be delivered from the archenemy of souls. It's sometimes referred to as the great commission.

14Afterward He appeared to the eleven themselves as they were reclining at the table; and He reproached them for their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they had not believed those who had seen Him after He had risen. 15And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16"He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.…Mark 16

When one reads the Word and takes it to heart, it doesn't take long before we learn the difference between what God asks of us and what those who are more interested in controlling others ask.

28saying, "We gave you strict orders not to continue teaching in this name, and yet, you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and intend to bring this man's blood upon us." 29But Peter and the apostles answered, "We must obey God rather than men. 30"The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom you had put to death by hanging Him on a cross.…Acts 5

There is no doubt there is a time when it is necessary, in order to be faithful to the Word, when straight talk from the Scripture is best. OTOH, this below seems appropriate most of the time, as is evidenced by the ministry Jesus carried out when He walked the earth.

8Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. 9The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.  Phil 4

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley: