Kingdom of AdventiStan
Sign in to follow this  
MaxO

Roku and the Adventist Networks

MaxO    12
MaxO

Well, we just tested the Roku3 video streaming box because we have received a lot of request for information on its quality and availability.  Our test revealed  that the picture quality leaves much to be desired and the device times out to load video quite a bit on Hope channel, SafeTV and many other channels. Plus some of the Adventist channels just don't come in at all. We were considering offering the Roku3, however, because of the picture quality and the stability we will not be offering it on our website.  Or recommening it at this time.  First of all you have to have a subscription to the internet, that's okay if you already have it of course. 2nd, the streaming picture quality is barely exceptable on a small screen, not acceptable on a large screen like a 50 inch screen, our laptop or desk top computer passes a better picture via HDMI.

Note: we are using high speed DSL cost $49.95 per month for this speed.  If you don't have high speed internet you would have more problems with the streaming on the Roku3. 

Gregory Matthews    3,270
Gregory Matthews

Yesterday, I installed a  ROKU-3 system on our main television. The quality of the picture that you are able to receive depends on the following, which you can control:

1) The brand and picture size of your television.

2)  The speed of your Internet connection as the ROKU unit is connected to the Internet, through your router.

3) The type of connection between your ROKU unit and your router---wireless, Ethernet, or other cable.  (Ethernet is considered to be the best.)

4) The type of connection between your ROKU unit and your television--HDMI provides the best signal.

My ROKU-3 unit is connected to my main television as follows:

1)  TV: 55" Panasonic Viera TC-55LE54.

2) Router: Quest Q-1000.  I have high speed DSL service.

3) Wireless connection between the router and the ROKU unit.

4) HDMI cable between the TV And the ROKU unit.

NOTE:  I have Direct cable TV with HOPE TV added to my subscription.

ROKU Compared with Direct TV:

1) Perceptually the picture that I get of HOPE TV from my ROKU unit is minimally better than what I get from Direct TV.  However they are so close that I have to say that they are equal.  The  very little difference that I think (?) I see may be due to internal television characteristics? Or, it could be my eyesight.   All in all, my reception on both ROKU and direct TV is excellent.

2)  In the short time that I have had this unit, I have not had any problem with either buffering or stability.

NOTE:  ROKU has more than 1,000 channels, as they are called, available.  But, only a few are set up to receive as the ROKU comes out of the box.  To receive that other channels you must go to the "channel store" and add your desired channel to your RKOKU unit.   So, to add Hope TV, you go to the channel store click on the "Religious" department and scroll through the selections adding the ones that you want to receive. 

NOTE:  The channel store has some selections that require a payment and hundreds of selections that are totally free.  However, ROKU, for a proper set-up, requires a credit card, even if you never purchase anything.

Gregory Matthews

It should be noted that in the above evaluation of ROKU, the router is extremely important.  Common routers have 4 MB of flash memory and 8 MB of SDRAM memory.  In contrast, the Q-1000 that I use has 32 MB of flash memory and 64 MB of SDRAM memory.

This additional memory is important in the control of  buffering and stability.  For more on the specifications of the Q-1000 see:

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/Datasheet_Q1000_Wireless-N_VDSL_Modem_Router.pdf

Gregory Matthews

As to my charge for my high-speed Internet service:

1)  I currently have a combined charge for Internet and telephone service for $63.52 per month.  That is on a 5-year lock in rate and includes various fees.

2)  Will the fee go up at the end of the 5-year period?  Good question.  The city where I live is currently installing a city-wide Internet system which will compete with my current Internet provider.  I expect that Qwest will keep their rates  low in order to compete with the city.  Currently the city provides me with electricity and their electric rates are the lowest in the entire State.  So, I expect that in the competitive environment my rates will be low in order to get my business, regardless of whether I stay with Qwest or go to the city.

NOTE:  As a note of interest, the city already has an installed city-wide Internet system in place.  However, it was only available to certain city and certain government institutions, such as schools.  So, the city now is only needing to expand the system to be available to homes and non-government businesses. 

Gregory Matthews

2nd Report on the quality of ROKU:

Today, I spent some time this Sabbath afternoon going through some of the religious and SDA selections on RKOKU to see what was offered and its  quality.  In my report, Post # 3, I selected Hope TV to evaluate due to the fact that I could switch back and forth between the ROKU signal and the Direct TV Signal.  That was of value because it helped me to rule out any problem in the original signal.

Today I looked at transmissions where I could not do that.  Generally I found the ROKU signal to of good to excellent quality--purely subjective of course.  While many of them were excellent, there were some programs that reminded me of older programs that were not recorded at the highest level as we would expect today.  But, I did not think that was the fault of ROKU.  I believe that it was caused by the equipment used to record the program.

In any case, not once did I ever have a problem with either buffering or stability.  ROKU Does have a few seconds of buffering when you first log on to that program.  Once that buffering has taken place, I have not yet seen it needed again as the program played.

I trust that this helps in any consideration of the purchase of ROKU.  What you get will depend in part on the equipment you have in your home and your Internet service.

MaxO    12
MaxO

Very true, the Adtech router that we tested with does have the 32 MB flash memory and 64 MB SDRAM, the constant tested and I might add that no one was on the network to ensure that the Roku3 operated correctly.  The speed at the time of the test: 37 ms ping, 7.46 Mbps download and 3.73 Mbps upload we experienced the same issue with buffering wireless and/or with the cad5 cable directly connected to both units.  I spent 1/2 hour with Jeff McHenry and his tech support gentleman discussing several issues including offering per-programmed units.  We wanted to carry the Roku3, but we will wait until the system is more stable.

MaxO    12
MaxO

One more thing that was discussed, that I should mention.  The technician also presented the idea that much depends on the streaming pipe line provided by the networks.  This Sabbath we watched satellite because the Roku3 buffered so much, I might also have a lot to do with how much of the streaming pipeline is being taken up by viewers. :smiley:

Gregory Matthews

Well, network speed is of critical importance.

I just ran a Ping test on my current speed.  It measured at 53 ms.  The time of the test was 5:20 PM so traffic was beginning to pick up.  The ping was sent from my location in the Denver metro area to the North West.

Gregory Matthews

This morning, at 6:19 AM, I ran series of ping tests. 

The first was sent to the same server in the NW that I used in post # 9.  It is listed as some 800 miles from where I live and the ping came back at 52 ms. with a jitter of 1 ms.  So, it was exactly the same as that in post # 9

Then I ran a test locally, about 40 miles from where I live.  that ping came back at 23 ms.  with a download of 8.02 ms and an upload of 0.81 ms. 

The bottom line is this:  There are many variables that affect the results that you get from a ping test.  Because of this, if can be impossible to compare the results of two tests.

Aliensanctuary    384
Aliensanctuary

I've been considering purchasing a Roku 3 device, not for myself, but for the workplace. My main concern is that unauthorized individuals may access channels requiring credit card fees and that I would have to pay for those charges. Maybe there is a password option to prevent that.

Naomi    817
Naomi

I have Roku3 on both TV's and rarely have issues with it.  I understand that 3ABN has requested additional space (whatever the word for it is) and have not received additional ....whatever it's called ...  I seriously would love to have LLBN on the Roku; but no luck.

I have high-speed internet with extras for $59.95/month. 

I might add that at my home I have satellite and two receivers and my reception is not much better than what I have here with Roku.

phkrause    1,964
phkrause

I've been considering purchasing a Roku 3 device, not for myself, but for the workplace. My main concern is that unauthorized individuals may access channels requiring credit card fees and that I would have to pay for those charges. Maybe there is a password option to prevent that.

I have a Roku 3, not positive, but if you don't already have an account with one of the pay channels/stations, you can not get that channel or station!

Shane    189
Shane

I love the Roku 3.  I still have my Glorystar satellite dish but it is out of alignment and would cost me $70 to get in line again.  I am not sure if I will do that or not.  I could almost buy another Roku 3 with that much money.  A nice option with the Roku 3 is that one can plug headphones into the remote control.

D_Bishop    49
D_Bishop

My Glorystar satellite dish was out of alignment also, for about two years, or so it seemed.  I watched adventist television mostly on the internet.  Then glory star started working again, praise the Lord.  I have a Roku that is several years old.  I don't think it is a Roku 3, maybe a 2.   I have an old apple tv as well.  Of the two I find Roku to be better.  The only thing that really interests me on Roku is adventist programming.  Glorystar has that covered.  It provides so much adventist programming that I don't have time to watch it all.   That's a nice problem to have.  i really like adventist programming on you tube as well, maybe just as much as glory star.

ChildofChrist    37
ChildofChrist

Had a friend that went the roku route and she is pleased with it. I'm thinking I'd rather go with the dish system. Knowing what to expect is important...but may explore both options.:stars::stars::stars:

Guest trm30   
Guest trm30

For all those who may be interested...Here is a list of all Adventist channels on Roku as far as I can tell.  There could be more and I would love to hear from you if you know of some additional ones not on this list. 

Roku Adventist Channels (all are in the streaming channels section unless otherwise noted)

1. 3ABN

2. 3ABN Radio

3. Hope Channel

4. AFTV – Amazing Facts TV

5. Amazing Discoveries TV

6. Brightstar TV (LLBN)

7. Safe TV

8. Safe TV 4U2

9. iPoint Global Entertainment – Has lots of SDA channels plus others

10. Bible Explorations

11. Life & Health Network

12. The Carter Report TV

13. Seventh-day Adventist TV

14. Lifetalk Radio

15. Mission TV

16. Sabbath School TV - https://owner.roku.com/Add/sabbathschooltv  (private channel, click to add)

17. Little Light Studios

18. Lifestyle Magazine

19. Beyond Patmos - https://owner.roku.com/add/PATMOS  (private channel, click to add)

20. Unlocking Truth

Churches

1. Loma Linda University Church

2. ReLive

3. Takoma Park Church of Seventh-day Adventists

4. Collegedale Community Church

5. Southeast Seventh-day Adventist Church

6. FwpTv (White Plains, NY SDA Church)

7. Lifesource Adventist Fellowship

J Sonnentag    27
J Sonnentag
On 5/15/2016 at 7:42 PM, Guest trm30 said:

For all those who may be interested...Here is a list of all Adventist channels on Roku as far as I can tell.  There could be more and I would love to hear from you if you know of some additional ones not on this list. 

Roku Adventist Channels (all are in the streaming channels section unless otherwise noted)

1. Sabbath School TV - https://owner.roku.com/Add/sabbathschooltv  (private channel, click to add)

In case somebody reads this in the future, the "Sabbath School TV" channel has been updated with more classes and is now "searchable" from Roku search.  It uses Direct Publisher from Roku now rather than InstantTVChannel that was never "approved" for listing in their channel guide for who knows what reason.  The "Vanity Access Code" for the channel and manual adding is: SabbathSchoolClasses

Oh, I recently ran across a good idea that is on YouTube that has the adult lesson read through and the page contents displayed on the screen.  It uses the MP3 reading of the lesson (that has been available for a long time) mixed with a slow scrolling of the PDF.  So it was added to the Sabbath School TV channel, since it would be a good idea to know what the lesson actually says and not just people discussing what they think it says or should say.  :D

Here's the Roku channel store listing:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/156319/sabbath-school-tv

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this