Kingdom of Adventistan
Jessie-Jess

I'm now a licensed driver!

Jessie-Jess

Finally,  I have my driver's license! It's amazing! Praise God! He protected us on the way there, provided the funds needed, and even provided the practice opportunities and people to help, a lot of practice within the last few years, but despite all that practice, I cannot boast of any special skills or training, for I made mistakes during the car inspection, it seemed at first and second as though the test would not even happen, and the test was so short I thought I might have failed. Oh--the suspense! But praise God! When they took my picture, that's when I was sure. God is so good. God is so good. I'm so happy! Praise God!

Aliensanctuary

Now, to get a car of your own, although motorcycles are nice, except in bad or cold weather. Pickups are nice, too, if one is on the move and needs to tow a u-haul trailer.

Jessie-Jess

I cannot accept any congratulations. God is the One providing and protecting and doing great things. But please join me in praising Him. 

D_Bishop

I'll tell this one story.  I have many more similar stories to tell.  Anyway this woman was taking a driver exam and I was the examiner.  We came down this alley like street and were waiting to make a right turn onto this one way road.  There was one car on the road we wanted to turn on.  It was a good ways away but I could tell it was moving fast.  We could of made the turn easily before the car got closer, but I was not driving.  I was not even instructing.  I was examining this person to see if they can drive.  I am looking to my left, at the driver and also at the oncoming car.

Just as the fast moving car gets a half a block away the driver decides to turn right, into the path of the other car.  I said loudly "stopped"!!!  and she did.

A little later I saw the woman & her husband at the counter trying to get another appointment.  She was weeping, probably because she had failed her exam.  If she had turned in front of that fast moving car she and I both would of had a lot more to be concerned about.  There was a good possibility we both would have been killed.

B/W Photodude
4 hours ago, D_Bishop said:

I was examining this person to see if they can drive.  I am looking to my left, at the driver and also at the oncoming car.

Just as the fast moving car gets a half a block away the driver decides to turn right, into the path of the other car.

There is a real physiological reason why people make these kind of mistakes. It usually does not happen when cars are coming, but it is quite deadly for motorcyclists. One very excellent reason not to ride a motorcycle. I have had many motorcycle riders tell me that people will turn in from of them all the time when the driver of the car comes to an intersection and the motorcyclist is coming from their left.

What happens is that many drives do not turn far enough to the left that they are looking up the road with both eyes. Their right eye vision is blocked by their nose and even the frame of their glasses. When only looking with one eye, the motorcyclist happens to fit right into their blind spot and is not seen. Physiologically, your brain fills in the blind spot with whatever is around the blindspot and this case, empty road and sky or whatever was up the road. Once the motorists has entered the intersection, it is then, of course, too late for the oncoming motorcyclist and the motorist as t-bone accidents are very injurious to a driver.

Moral of the story, make sure you are looking up the road with both eyes. This means turning your head far enough to almost be facing to the left. If you close your left eye and cannot see up the road, you are not turning towards the oncoming traffic from the left effectively. This applies to the right also, but not as dangerously.

D_Bishop

Many of these people don't have much time behind the wheel.  They haven't put in enough time to learn how to drive.  They just want a license.  

They see other people drive and they mimic what they do.   

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.