Kingdom of Adventistan
chrysalis

baptism in the SDA church

chrysalis

hi there, i believe in the fundamental teachings of the SDA church (i came from another christian church after finding out the truth) - but more importantly i want to follow the Bible before any thing else.

a few months ago we had a mission story (can't remember exactly) but some missionaries went to some island, got converts but said "you have to wait for a paster to be baptised" (they wanted to be baptised) - i think they had to wait a year and a half?

anyway, to get to the point, i questioned this "why did they have to wait for a pastor?" for which the elders couldn't give me an answer that satisfied me (at the time we didn't have a pastor). then i asked "so if someone wanted to get baptised in this day and age, (paraphrased) we would have to wait for a pastor" ..... "Yes"

This is causing problems for me, can you help me understand the stance behind this issue?

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

Gregory Matthews

1)  SDA policy generally requires that a baptism be conducted by:

a) An ordained SDA pastor.

'b) A Commissioned pastor who has been authorized to baptize by the local Conference.

c) A local congregational Elder who has been authorized to baptize by the local Conference.

2)  In the SDA Church, baptism generally only takes place at a time when the person has decided to become a member of the SDA Church.  There are exceptions to this but these exceptions are generally considered to be outside of normal SDA  practice and when done may or may not result in advice to refrain from doing so in the  future.

3) The decision to baptize rests with the pastor.  However, as the decision to accept one as a SDA member rests with the congregation the pastor generally coordinates with the congregation.

4) The SDA Church considers valid baptisms that have been conducted by immersion (and is Christian) regardless of whether performed by an authorized SDA person.  However, probably most people coming from another Christian group join the SDA Church by baptism.  So, a Roman Catholic, if baptized by immersion (The RC Church does allow baptism by immersion.) could join the SDA Church by what is called Profession of Faith (POF).  E.G.  There have actually been some stories told of people baptizing themselves and that baptism being accepted by the SDA Church.

5)  In the United States, every recognized SDA congregation has an assigned ordained pastor in charge.  It would be a major exception for such a pastor to have more than three or four congregations.  So, every recognized congregation in the U.S. should see a pastor on a regular basis.

6) I once lived in a country where it was common for pastors to be in charge of 13 congregations.  In that country every congregation saw a pastor every few weeks.  I cannot imagine a local congregation that needed to wait for many months or years.  However, there  may be  some exceptions.  E.G.  The SDA Church, as I understand it, does not now have a regular pastor assigned to Pitcarin (sp) Island.  Whether or not a local Elder  is recognized to do such, I do not know.  But, the story of Pitcarin Island is a complex and a sad one, which is longer than needs to be gotten into in this thread.

I realize that this response may not respond to your exact question.  I have wanted to explain in greater detail what it is that is actually done in the SDA Church.

chrysalis

:) not exactly answered but it did answer a few questions. e.g. an elder of a congregation can baptise.... 

let me put it this way, going back in time to the story in question - i found it very unbiblical of the missionaries to make them wait and i can't find anywhere in the bible where it says "has to be a certain person"....... i am sure "john the baptist" wasn't recognised by the church leaders at the time....

if it is shown that a person wants to follow God (Jesus) forsaking all others and has an understanding of the Christ principles (i am sure you get my point) :) 

Gregory Matthews

As I said, people who have been baptized by immersion may be accepted as members of the SDA Church on Profession of Faith (POF). We do not require that the person who baptized them be a SDA, or SDA clergy.

But, as a denominational practice, within the congregation, baptism is restricted as I stated above.

Helen

Does a person receive Holy Spirit when baptized?

If so should a person who is baptizing have Holy Spirit?

If I where baptized from a certain church that watered biblical truths with church doctrines would the congregation lack the power of Holy Spirit in order to baptize for the forgiveness of sins and Holy Spirit?

Also through out generations starting with Acts, should there be a chain of Christ followers who received Holy Spirt in order to baptized others? It seems that biblical followers had Holy Spirit poured on them and they went out and baptized others. The others received Holy Spirit and the chain went on. Until the dark ages.

Are the majority of Christians lacking Holy Spirit? Maybe everyone.

Look forward to some answers.

Aliensanctuary

Recall that JTB was not ordained into any denomination when he began baptizing people on his own. 

Baptism is just a symbol of the baptism those chosen for the Kingdom will undergo. Unlike the Earthly baptism which has no power to change lives or prevent future transgressions, those experiencing the wash-up in the River of Life will have their minds re-programmed, via the Spirit, with the Laws of God, and also, have most, if not all, of their memories of their previous life deleted. Without this baptism, no one can enter the Kingdom of God.

Because Earthly baptism is only a symbol of the real baptism of the future, one shouldn't be necessarily constrained to be baptized by "authorized" leaders of denominations.

chrysalis

Hi there, there is no need to get caught up with "spirit filled person" to do the baptism.

for example Jesus warns about "wolf in sheep clothing" and "many will come to me saying Lord,Lord"

ideally it would be best to have someone "in tune" with God & following His ways doing the baptism, But God is more interested in the heart and desire of the one being baptised.

just remember to do it the way the bible describes (by emersion)

hope this helps

Guest DAN

I think the crux of the matter is that, there is no biblical restriction whatsoever as to who may baptise and lay hands, apart from the requirement that the person baptising the other must be an ordained elder and should also have been baptised in the same manner. So, in short, biblically elders have the full delegated authority to baptise and lay hands on others. Waiting for the pastor to baptise or lay hands is a complete waste of time and only serves to create the wrong impression that pastors or bishops are more important than the ordained church elders. For that matter, eldership is what one becomes based on spiritual maturity and meeting the biblical criteria for ordination but the roles of pastor/shepherd, deacon, teacher, evangelist, overseer/bishop, etc are all functions of elders, each in accordance to the degree of giftedness by the Holy Spirit. The latter are spiritual gifts, not church favours. The restriction of the authority to baptise and/or lay hands to pastors or bishops only is man-made and linked to a particular denomination, not the scriptures.

Gregory Matthews

It should be noted:  The SDA Church does NOT require that a valid baptism be performed by a  member of the SDA denomination.

chrysalis
On 3/21/2017 at 4:45 PM, Guest DAN said:

I think the crux of the matter is that, there is no biblical restriction whatsoever as to who may baptise and lay hands, apart from the requirement that the person baptising the other must be an ordained elder and should also have been baptised in the same manner. So, in short, biblically elders have the full delegated authority to baptise and lay hands on others. Waiting for the pastor to baptise or lay hands is a complete waste of time and only serves to create the wrong impression that pastors or bishops are more important than the ordained church elders. For that matter, eldership is what one becomes based on spiritual maturity and meeting the biblical criteria for ordination but the roles of pastor/shepherd, deacon, teacher, evangelist, overseer/bishop, etc are all functions of elders, each in accordance to the degree of giftedness by the Holy Spirit. The latter are spiritual gifts, not church favours. The restriction of the authority to baptise and/or lay hands to pastors or bishops only is man-made and linked to a particular denomination, not the scriptures.

well said Dan :) 

On 3/21/2017 at 7:47 PM, Gregory Matthews said:

It should be noted:  The SDA Church does NOT require that a valid baptism be performed by a  member of the SDA denomination.

This is also a good point... and that is something that should definately be noted :) 

thanks for the input guys

Guest confused

Hello, Are there any procedures on how many people need to attend the baptism? I find baptism to be a very personal and emotional experience. Because of that I wanted to get baptized with just me, my boyfriend, and obviously the Pastor there. But the Pastor said that he doesn't feel comfortable with that. He said that according to the Bible it needs to be a public statement and more people need to be present. Is this true? Unless there is a certain number of people present I can't get baptized???  

Gregory Matthews

There is no requirement that any specified number of people be present at a baptism.

Generally one  would want baptism to be a public statement.  But, that is neither a Biblical requirement, nor is it a requirement of the SDA denomination.

I am well aware of SDA baptisms that have not been public, to include in the U.S. A.

I think that you and the pastor need to talk some more.  If it were me, I would want to explore in more depth why you wanted a private baptism before I made a decision on your request.