Kingdom of Adventistan
phkrause

Trivia Quiz?

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

phkrause

Susan B. Anthony was fined $100 after voting for which U.S. President?

Grant

phkrause
On 6/18/2019 at 11:05 AM, phkrause said:

Which town changed its name in 2005 to get free TV?

DISH, Texas

15 hours ago, dgrimm60 said:

DISH TEXAS

Answer: DISH is a town in Denton County, Texas. This community was originally named Clark. In November 2005, the community accepted an offer to rename itself "DISH" (all capital letters) as part of a commercial agreement with a satellite television company. In exchange for renaming the town, all residents of the town have received free basic television service for ten years and a free DVR from Dish Network. There was no formal opposition to renaming Clark; twelve citizens attended the council meeting to support the measure.

phkrause
On 6/18/2019 at 12:57 PM, phkrause said:

Which planet in our solar system has the most moons?

Jupiter

16 hours ago, dgrimm60 said:

JUPITAR

Answer: The planet with the most moons in the Solar System is Jupiter, with a total of 63 confirmed moons. Eight of Jupiter’s moons are regular satellites, with 4 large, spherical moons, and 4 smaller moons that orbit closer to Jupiter. Jupiter has an additional 55 tiny irregular satellites. The planet with the second highest number of moons is Saturn, with 61 moons. This is followed by Uranus, with 27 moons, Neptune with 13 moons, Mars with 2 moons, and then Earth with its single moon. Mercury and Venus have no moons.

phkrause
21 hours ago, phkrause said:

What was the most recent letter added to the English alphabet?

J

LETTER  J

Answer: “Z” may be the last letter in alphabetical order, but the last letter added to our alphabet was actually “J.” It is no coincidence that “I” and “J” stand side-by-side—for centuries they were considered the same character! The letter “J” started as a swash, a typographical embellishment for the already existing “I” used to denote the conclusion of a series of ones—as in “Henry viij” for Henry the Eighth. Both I and J were used interchangeably to express the sound of both the vowel and the consonant, until 1524 when Renaissance grammarian Gian Giorgio Trissino argued for J’s autonomy. After being snubbed for nearly three more centuries, “J” was finally acknowledged as a full-fledged letter in the English alphabet.

phkrause
20 hours ago, phkrause said:

Susan B. Anthony was fined $100 after voting for which U.S. President?

Grant

ULYSSESS S GRANT

Answer: In 1872, civil rights activist Susan B. Anthony voted illegally in a presidential election. Anthony voted for every Republican on the ballot, including President Ulysses S. Grant who won the election. At that time, women were not allowed to vote. Two weeks later, Anthony was arrested, and eventually fined $100 for voting illegally. “I shall never pay a dollar of your unjust penalty,” she said—and she never did. It wasn’t until 1920, 14 years after her death, that the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, giving all adult women the right to vote, was passed.

phkrause

Which of these chemical elements is represented on the atomic table by a single letter?

Phosphorus

phkrause
On 6/19/2019 at 2:51 PM, phkrause said:

Which of these chemical elements is represented on the atomic table by a single letter?

Phosphorus

On 6/20/2019 at 7:19 AM, dgrimm60 said:

PHOOSPHORUS

Answer: Every element in the Periodic Table has been given a unique 1, 2 or 3 letter symbol. The first letter of an element symbol is always a capital letter. Many of the element symbols are quickly remembered with just one letter. These elements are: B for Boron, C for Carbon, F for Fluorine, H for Hydrogen, I for Iodine, K for Potassium, N for Nitrogen, O for Oxygen, P for Phosphorus, S for Sulfur, U for Uranium, V for Vanadium, W for Tungsten, and Y for Yttrium. Any subsequent letters, which make up the element symbols, are expressed in lower case, for example the chemical symbol for Gold is Au, Silver is Ag, and Sodium is Na.

phkrause
On 6/19/2019 at 3:44 PM, phkrause said:

Who created Sherlock Holmes?

Doyle

On 6/20/2019 at 7:20 AM, dgrimm60 said:

AUTHUR CONRAN DOYLE

Answer: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a British writer best known for his detective fiction featuring the character Sherlock Holmes. Doyle's first novel, A Study in Scarlet, introduced Sherlock Holmes to the reading public. The success of the novel led Doyle to abandon medicine and launch his career as a writer. Doyle wrote 60 mystery stories featuring the wildly popular detective character Sherlock Holmes and his loyal assistant Watson. Over 125 years after his creation, Sherlock Holmes remains the most popular fictional detective in history.

phkrause

Which book does not contain a single letter "e"?

Gadsby

phkrause

Walt Whitman's poem "Oh Captain, My Captain" was written about which President?

Abraham Lincoln

phkrause
On 6/21/2019 at 12:17 PM, phkrause said:

Which book does not contain a single letter "e"?

Gadsby

17 hours ago, dgrimm60 said:

GADSBY

nswer: Ernest Vincent Wright’s 1939 novel Gadsby is over 50,000 words long, yet doesn’t contain a single letter “e” anywhere other than the cover. In order to prevent himself from accidentally using the letter “e”, he disabled the key on his typewriter by tying it down. Gadsby tells the story of a fictional city called Branton Hills, which is revitalized as a result of the efforts of its new mayor, John Gadsby. As to his motivation for writing Gadsby, Wright first thought to try writing a book without the letter ‘e’ after learning that the letter “e” supposedly occurs in books and other writings on average about five times more often than any other letter in English. Source: Mental Floss

phkrause
18 hours ago, phkrause said:

Walt Whitman's poem "Oh Captain, My Captain" was written about which President?

Abraham Lincoln

18 hours ago, dgrimm60 said:

ABRAHAM LINCOLN

Answer: Walt Whitman composed the poem "O Captain! My Captain!" after Abraham Lincoln's assassination in 1865. The poem is classified as an elegy or mourning poem, and was written to honor Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president of the United States. The poem was first published in the pamphlet Sequel to Drum-Taps which assembled 18 poems regarding the American Civil War. "O Captain! My Captain!" became one of Walt Whitman's most famous poems. Whitman became so identified with the poem that late in life he remarked, "Damn My Captain...I'm almost sorry I ever wrote the poem."

phkrause

Which of these music groups never featured members who were actually brothers?

The Doobie Brothers