Kingdom of Adventistan
phkrause

The Antibiotic Dilemma

phkrause

By Peter N. Landless and Allan R. Handysides

I was recently diagnosed with pneumonia, and my doctor prescribed antibiotics. I was feeling very unwell, but because I don’t like taking any medications, I took the antibiotics only until I felt better and then stopped. Is it safe to use the balance later?

This question highlights some very important concepts.
Antibiotics are helpful medications intended to fight infections and diseases caused by bacteria. They work by either killing the bacteria or preventing them from reproducing. Antibiotics are helpful in bringing infections under control, and assisting the body’s immune system in the process of eliminating offending bacteria from the system.
Sir Alexander Fleming discovered the earliest known antibiotic in 1928. Only in the 1940s was penicillin used in the treatment of wounded soldiers in World War II. This successful experience ushered in an exciting era of progress in fighting bacteria with antimicrobials (antibiotics). Since that time many different kinds of antibiotics have been manufactured, even to the extent of the so-called designer type of antibiotic, which aims at very specific mechanisms to control the multiplication and kill the bacteria.

As exciting as the journey of discovery and refinement of antibiotics has been, it has also been fraught with numerous problems. Some individuals are unable to tolerate certain antibiotics; this intolerance ranges from severe allergy (anaphylaxis)—which may even cause death—to skin rashes; mild to moderate diarrhea; and superadded infection with fungi, such as Candida.
In addition, numerous bacteria have developed the ability to create resistance to the antibiotics being used; Fleming himself noted this characteristic in the earliest days of penicillin. This has resulted in the need for the use of combinations of antibiotics, and also for the development of what have become known as third- and fourth-generation classes of specific antibiotics.
The mechanism by which bacteria develop resistance has been recognized for many years; these microorganisms undergo genetic changes, which are mediated by phages and plasmids. These small molecules, or “packages,” of DNA (genetic material) can be transferred from one bacterium to another. Recently Chinese scientists have noted a very significant and extremely worrying development: the ability of certain bacteria to transfer this resistance horizontally between different bacterial strains. This was noted in routine surveillance of food animals, such as pigs, and signaled the first time that such resistance to the polymyxin antibiotic colistin was observed. This has caused great consternation in the scientific world, with fears that if such resistance continues to develop, the practical and helpful use of antibiotics may be coming to an end! Although the resistance described above is currently limited to China, it is anticipated that it will spread throughout the world.

Back to your question: Always complete the course of antibiotics, even if you feel better before the treatment is completed. This will decrease the amount of antibiotic resistance. There should never be leftover antibiotics in your medicine cabinet. Encourage those over whom you have influence to do the same.

http://www.adventistworld.org/2016/february/the-antibiotic-dilemma.html

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

phkrause

Honey with Turmeric: The Most Potent Antibiotic That not even Doctors Can Explain

With certainty, turmeric is one of the most popular spices in the whole world and it has extraordinary culinary and medicinal properties. It has been used in Ayurvedic, Indian, and Chinese medicine for a long period of time. This spice has a unique flavor and a deep yellow color.

https://www.higherperspectives.com/turmeric-honey-2626686433.html

ps:this was interesting!! Anyone ever hear of this and try it??

Gregory Matthews

It should be noted that    in some cases a refusal to take a prescribed antibiotic can be life-threatening.

There is no antibiotic that will destroy every microbe.  Physicians proscribe according the defined need/organism.

phkrause

This Antibiotic will RUIN you.

If you’ve not heard of the class of antibiotics called “Fluoroquinolones,” you want to. Trust me. After taking a round of Cipro in 2010, for a UTI, Amy Moser’s life was forever changed and she’s now writing in the hopes that someone, anyone, will read her story and be saved from the hell this class of drugs has wrecked on her body.

https://www.healthnutnews.com/antibiotic-will-ruin/

phkrause

No Prescription Required: 5 Powerful Natural Antibiotics

In the years since antibiotics were first introduced in the 1930s, their overuse and misuse has reached an all-time high.

Read more at https://www.beliefnet.com/wellness/health/physical-health/no-prescription-required-5-powerful-natural-antibiotics.aspx

B/W Photodude
On 6/16/2018 at 6:10 PM, phkrause said:

This Antibiotic will RUIN you.

If you’ve not heard of the class of antibiotics called “Fluoroquinolones,” you want to. Trust me. After taking a round of Cipro in 2010, for a UTI, ...

Some of these side effects I have known about for quite awhile. I have refused Cipro when it was "offered." When they gave my daughter a scrip for it, I recommended to her that she not take it and get something else.

B/W Photodude
On 3/17/2018 at 4:09 PM, phkrause said:

Honey with Turmeric: The Most Potent Antibiotic That not even Doctors Can Explain

ps:this was interesting!! Anyone ever hear of this and try it??

Yep, do this one at home all the time. Turmeric is also thought to be a good anti-inflammatory. 

B/W Photodude
On 3/19/2018 at 8:12 AM, Gregory Matthews said:

It should be noted that    in some cases a refusal to take a prescribed antibiotic can be life-threatening.

There is no antibiotic that will destroy every microbe.  Physicians proscribe according the defined need/organism.

Whenever you get a new scrip, just do your research on it first. I look into multiple source for detailed info on any drug I get proscribed. I also search these words  <"toxicity" + "name of drug"> . It was suggested that I take one medicine once and on looking it up I found it to be one that suppresses bone marrow meaning I was likely to pick up infections from others more often. I declined to take it, but they kept on telling me to take it and I kept on refusing. 

The Wanderer
25 minutes ago, B/W Photodude said:

Yep, do this one at home all the time. Turmeric is also thought to be a good anti-inflammatory. 

Oil Of Oregano is another good one; I have been taking it for years and have not once had any kind of flu since taking it, along with other dietary measures. Its been approximately 6 years since I have had "flu." It has good antiseptic qualities, as well as anti-microbial, and infection-fighting properties.

Dont ever disregard doctors advice and try to discard something prescribed, in favor of "natural remedies" unless you have done very thorough research, and you have discussed with your doctor. Certain medications you NEED may be counteracted by "natural supplements." Its like my encryption software said to me earlier today: "dont press this unless you know what it does."

Gregory Matthews

In response to Phodude:

*  We subscribe to Best Pills, Worst Pills.  It provides a lot of information related to the medications that we may be urged to take.

*   When we moved to California, I told the physician who would be providing my clinical are that if he wanted me to take a medication, he would have to  convince me before I would take it.  His response was to the effect that I was very wise. 

*  Then, probably to test me, he mentioned a medication that is often given to people of my age.  I immediately informed him that I was well aware of its common side effects and I would not be taking it.  To this day, he and I have not discussed any medication other than one that I brought up.

*  By the  Way, I do take AREDS-2, which is a prescription vitamin pill for my vision issues.

Lone Ranger

Gregory, I would agree with you on that. It seems (IMO) that health care in NA is driven more by pharmaceutical profit than patient well being.

Prevention is more the cure than prescription; a proper diet and exercise goes a long way towards good health.

The Wanderer
3 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

By the  Way, I do take AREDS-2, which is a prescription vitamin pill for my vision issues.

Im not critcising in any way, just wondering re that vitamin. What or how can it be verified tha it is helping? Just wondering because I know some one who has the same eye condition

Gregory Matthews

AREDS 2 has been verified by standard clinical studies and is the only vitamin pill on the market that has been so verified to slow the progression to the wet form of ARMD.

I have had the dry form for years.  I have taken the Rx vitamin pills for years.  

It is only recently that my dry form progressed to the wet form.

NOTE:  As stated above, AREDS 2 does not cure ARMD.  It does not prevent it turning wet.  I has been demonstrated to slow the progression.

The Wanderer

thank you, thats very interesting. I had never heard of this vitamin until you mentioned it. Ill have to investigate and see if its available in Canada. I wonder why its a prescription based medication? Most supplements are over-the-counter?

Gregory Matthews

It is both Rx and over the counter.  No difference beteeen. 

Gregory Matthews

As I recall ourlocal.  Costco is selling 3 bottles of AREDS 2 for about $42.  This would be a 6-month dose.

Gregory Matthews

The standard bottle of AREDS 2, that you can purchase over the counter contains 120 vitamin pills, which is a 60 day supply at a two pill a day standard dosage.

GHansen

Really shouldn't be a dilemma regarding ABX, if you have a pathogenic infection and access to high quality meds. Occasional adverse reactions fall into the same category as sunburn and anaphylaxis. Some people die from eating a trace of peanuts but most don't. Stay out in the sun too long, you can get major pain but people shouldn't avoid sunlight for that reason.