Kingdom of Adventistan
Gregory Matthews

Dr. Neil Nedley & Recovery From Depression

Gregory Matthews

Dr. Neil A. Nedley, MD, of Weimar, is very active in a program that informs and helps to restore people form the mental Illness of depression.  If you check him out on the Internet you will a lot about him and the books he has written, his in-patient program and his out-patient programs.

The Carmichael (North Metro-Sacramento area) is planning to sponsor a free (I think.) full-scale program of his beginning in January of 2017, which will be open to the public.

However, beginning next Sabbath, September 10, one of its Sabbath School classes will conduct a 10-week series which will be based in part on the work of Dr. Nedley, beginning sharply at 9:30 AM each Sabbath morning.

All are welcome to attend.. It will be at no cost. 

Both the Sabbath School Class and the January series will be conducted by Machelle Vietz who has a graduate degree in psychology.

For more information, you may contact her at:  machelle.vietz@yahoo.com

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

rudywoofs (Pam)
2 minutes ago, Gregory Matthews said:

Both the Sabbath School Class and the January series will be conducted by Machelle Vietz who has a graduate degree in psychology.

looks like she's only had four years of experience in marriage and family counseling.... she's now a marketing/hiring project manager for a senior assisted living company in California..  

Gregory Matthews

She has been a licensed therapist.   She is not now working as a licensed therapist.

She was licensed in a State other than California.  In relatively recent times circumstances resulted in she and her family moving to the Metro-Sacramento area.  Up to the present, she had not attempted to get licensed in California.

rudywoofs (Pam)

yes, she was a counselor for 4 yrs, according to what she's posted online..

rudywoofs (Pam)

nope, same person.  I was looking at her Linked In employment summary: https://www.linkedin.com/in/machelle-vietz-57421959

(I wasn't trying to say she isn't qualified.  She may well be qualified.  I just thought it strange that she's only had four years' professional counseling experience.  Maybe she's a prodigy... I don't know..)

Gregory Matthews

I referenced a website that said part of what you said that as of August 9, 2016. gave an address in Michigan for people to go to her for counseling.  I found that interesting as I know that  on that date she was living in California.  In any case, that is why I stated that the Internet may (?) contain a woman who can be con fused with her.

Outta Here

I have a copy of Dr Nedley's book, "Depression, The Way Out" (at least, I think that's what it's called...it's on my shelf in a house I'm not in right now). It was a really great book. I wish it were free to distribute to other people because there are so very many people I know who would benefit from the information inside. Lots of good stuff about getting exercise, fresh air, sunshine; Vitamin D, tryptophan; and then fixing the ways we think. 

I hope the SS classes are beneficial to those in attendance, as well as the seminars. 

Gregory Matthews

MACHELLE VIETZ’s BACKGROUND

“My background in mental health began 26 years ago.  I received a BA in Behavioral Sciences from Andrews University and then went on to receive a Master's Degree in Clinical Psychology from Antioch University in Los Angeles in 1998.  Prior to moving to Sacramento two years ago, I owned my own practice as Licensed Professional Counselor, where I treated clients for a variety of reasons, however, most of them had been diagnosed with depression. 

“Spring of this year, Carmichael SDA Church sponsored me to be trained as a Director for the Nedley Depression and Anxiety Recovery Program so as to facilitate the program being offered at our church.

"God raised me with a passion for bringing hope to the hopeless, and I am thrilled that the AIM class has welcomed this opportunity to learn more about how to teach others to overcome their depression so that they, too, can truly feel the joy of the Lord.”

PROGRAM OVERVIEW

In the next nine weeks we will be covering the following:

Week 1:  Nutrition for the Brain

Week 2:  How to Improve your Brain

Week 3:  Lifestyle Therapies

Week 4:  Using Healthy Thinking to Overcome Depression

Week 5:  Making and Staying with Positive Life Choices

Week 6:  Stress without Distress

Week 7:  Overcoming Loss

Week 8:  Enhancing Frontal Lobe Function

Week 9:  Recap/Summary and Open Discussion of Material

phkrause

Magnesium Treats Depression Better Than Antidepressant Drugs

By Libby Daniel

Currently in the world there are an astounding 350 million people who are suffering from some form of depression. That’s 5% of the world population. As this condition becomes a more popular diagnosis, there needs to be alternatives to the common antidepressant prescription. Antidepressants can work wonders and perform miracles, but they can still leak toxins into the body that can cause addiction, worse health problems, and other mental health conditions. Depression is often caused by an imbalance of chemicals in the brain. Depression medications can cure these imbalances but usually leave some side effects including nausea, weight gain, insomnia, dry mouth, and blurred vision. For some people the side effects are minimal and almost absent, but for others the side effects can be as horrible as the depression. Many of those people are searching for a new type of treatment, one that can cure them without doing a different kind of harm.

https://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/magnesium-treats-depression-better-antidepressant-drugs.html

The Wanderer
16 hours ago, phkrause said:

Currently in the world there are an astounding 350 million people who are suffering from some form of depression.

If each of these were to pay, say $400 per month for "medications" which I think would be an average, approximate price, that would be a take of 105,000,000,000.00

rudywoofs (Pam)
On 8/30/2018 at 6:55 PM, phkrause said:

Magnesium Treats Depression Better Than Antidepressant Drugs

and if you overdo the magnesium supplement you'll get a wonderful case of the jungle trots...