Kingdom of Adventistan
Gregory Matthews

Who is JoMo?

Gregory Matthews

[I am transferring JoMOs post about himself to this thread--GM.]

Hey Wanderer,

Nice to "see" you!  A little about me:

I was raised as a good Catholic in a nice Italian family.  I always wanted to be a priest - until I discovered girls; and that lifelong celibacy thing was a deal-breaker.  As I went through my 20's and 30's, I became dissatisfied with Catholicism and started searching.  I was one of the original hippies in the late 1960's,  and became a complete new-age pagan Bohemian.  After graduation, I felt an urge to return to God.  I studied with JW's for a couple years; and about a month before I was to be baptized, I "discovered" the Sabbath through the Worldwide Church of God (Herbert and Garner Ted Armstrong).  We then moved from Missouri (pronounced Misery) to New Mexico in 1975.  There was no WWCoG there, so I looked through the phone book for a Christian Sabbath-Keeping church and stumbled upon SDA's I called the pastor and requested Bible Studies, got baptized, and it "took".

I was a real "Taliban" Adventist for many years - made EGW look like an infidel.  The legalism and paranoia about not being "good enough" and having my "brothers" watch over and critique every move my family made was really discouraging.  When my favorite pastor ever was drummed out of our congregation (and lost his credentials) for initiating a contemporary Sabbath service, I got so mad I left the church and joined a charismatic congregation.  That was a very enlightening and positive experience.

After a few years as a charismatic, I grew weary of hearing nothing but warm fuzzies about God; and how powerful we already were; and about how Jesus would return AFTER the church conquered the world for Jesus ( a form of amillennialism).  Somehow Gail stumbled upon a message I had left on LinkedIn and invited me to look at CA.  I liked the diversity and joined - but I had a real chip on my shoulder about SDA's.  A fine retired pastor on this site took me under his wing and we went through the 28 Fundies as written; not necessarily as practiced.  The more people I met here, the more "Adventist" and less "Charismatic" I became.  So here I am several years later still hooked.

I consider myself a "recovering legalist".  I am now more concerned about maintaining a constant dialog and relationship with my God; and am much less concerned with adherence to the small print on the SDA "contract" and performance management.  Yet, by focusing on Jesus and His Spirit rather than on myself, I find that I am coming more into conformance with the Family standards than ever; and it is happening "naturally" rather than by my cycles of futile effort and failure.  I still practice some of the spiritual stuff I learned as a charismatic (although usually in private); but I feel more balanced looking at the whole panorama of scripture rather than focusing exclusively on either the "warm fuzzies" or the "fire and brimstone".

My passions are eschatology and continual improvement of my relationship with and faith in Yahweh.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

Joel Melashenko

This is fabulous, thank you for sharing JoMO.  Great to get to know folks a bit more.  Will post myself on the weekend.

JoeMo
14 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

Hey, whats "wrong" with warm fuzzies about God?"

Absolutely nothing!  The "warm fuzzies" I got in the charismatic church are actually the things that got me into an intimate relationship with my Lord. It sounds weird; but when I pray, I visualize myself as a little boy sitting on my Daddy's lap with my head against His chest.  I learned what it meant to truly love my God and expect Him to work miracles on our behalf.  I was actually blessed enough to witness and participate in some miracles.  I still use the prayer language God gave me during this time; but only in private prayer.

As an ardent student of eschatology, I am a premillennialist and a futurist.  When I realized that charismatic theology leaned strongly towards amillennialism or postmillennialism; and "dominion theology" (a subtle derivative of supersessionism or "replacement theology" IMHO) and totally denied the tribulation, I could no longer stay.

JoeMo
41 minutes ago, GHansen said:

JOMO, Describing yourself as one of the original  hippies puts you in the big leagues. Know any of these guys?

Ha ha ha!  No; they were a little before my time.  The song mentioned in the article (Nature Boy) was originally recorded in 1948; I was born in 1950.  However, "nature Boy" is a great song - recorded years before its time.