Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
irenerheflin

Worried about my mother's health.

irenerheflin

Hey! My mother is seventy years old and she is getting weaker day by day. She is a stroke survivor and I am anxious about her health. Nowadays she is having bleeding gums and she is not taking proper food due to pain in her gums. I am going to schedule an appointment for gum disease treatment from a clinic in Mississauga ( http://www.parkerhilldental.com/our-services/gum-treatment/ ). In an article, I have read that bleeding gums could be a sign of heart attack. I am not sure if it is true or not. Anyone of you has any idea about this?

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

JoeMo

Hi Irene,

First, welcome to Club Adventist.  It is a fine, open minded, and diverse community.

I'm no doctor; but from what I have read, gum problems and cavities (indicative of an overabundance of "bad" bacteria in the mouth) correlates to an increased chance of heart problems and strokes.  Correlation does not always imply causation; and this correlation is a key advertising point that dentists use to inspire people to get their teeth cleaned regularly and otherwise practice good dental hygiene.  If her gums are already bleeding, she may need professional treatment; but the best treatment would likely be daily flossing and brushing with either an Oral-B or SoniCare electric toothbrush after every meal.  If she is disabled, someone may need to help her with this.

I suffered from such terrible gum disease about 15 years ago that I had to undergo osseous surgery - an experience of pain and hunger similar to 6 months of chemotherapy.  I lost over 30 pounds in the process (that was a good thing!).  I have brushed and flossed religiously ever since; and have had no problems ever since.

rudywoofs (Pam)

a vitamin deficiency can also cause gum bleeding...  perhaps a nutritional supplement would help your mother (it certainly couldn't hurt!).  My Mom drinks "Boost" a few times per week....she likes it better than "Ensure"...

(best to have a physician do a complete work-up to rule out other underlying issues)

Hope you mother starts feeling better!

Zieusi05

Our eating habits play a huge role in our dental health. I had started getting cavities so I consulted our family dentist Hermosa Beach. He suggested to adapt a healthy diet for the teeth and also provided me a diet chart that I followed regularly. So there are no more cavities forming up!