Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
james423

Lesson 8 - From Slaves to Heirs

james423    154
james423

Overall Question: Why is this change from "slaves" to "heirs" so important to a Christian?

Memory Text: Galatians 4:7 Christian Standard Bible So you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then God has made you an heir.

Sunday – Our Condition in Christ

Galatians 3:25-26 New International Reader’s Version 25 But now faith in Christ has come. So the law is no longer in charge of us. 26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God by believing in Christ.

Galatians 3:25 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY And what, indeed, happened for the child of God when Christ came, as touching the matter of “the law,” which had been “our schoolmaster”? As regards the ceremonial laws, they ceased by a divine statute of limitations, for Christ’s sacrifice took the place of animal sacrifices, and thus the laws governing such sacrifices ended. As regards the civil statutes, they lost their significance for the simple reason that Israel ended as a nation…and spiritual Israel took its place. As regards the moral law, the Decalogue, it no longer stands out on two tables of stone, as something apart from man. Instead, those who are “justified by faith” in Christ become new creatures in Christ Jesus, with the law of God written in their minds and hearts.

Galatians 3:26-28 New Century Version 26-27 You were all baptized into Christ, and so you were all clothed with Christ. This means that you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 28 In Christ, there is no difference between Jew and Greek, slave and free person, male and female. You are all the same in Christ Jesus.

Romans 6:1-11 God’s Word Translation What should we say then? Should we continue to sin so that God’s kindness will increase? 2 That’s unthinkable! As far as sin is concerned, we have died. So how can we still live under sin’s influence? 3 Don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 When we were baptized into his death, we were placed into the tomb with him. As Christ was brought back from death to life by the glorious power of the Father, so we, too, should live a new kind of life. 5 If we’ve become united with him in a death like his, certainly we will also be united with him when we come back to life as he did. 6 We know that the person we used to be was crucified with him to put an end to sin in our bodies. Because of this we are no longer slaves to sin. 7 The person who has died has been freed from sin. 8 If we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9 We know that Christ, who was brought back to life, will never die again. Death no longer has any power over him. 10 When he died, he died once and for all to sin’s power. But now he lives, and he lives for God. 11 So consider yourselves dead to sin’s power but living for God in the power Christ Jesus gives you.

1 Peter 3:21 Easy-to-Read Version And that water is like baptism, which now saves you. Baptism is not the washing of dirt from the body. It is asking God for a clean conscience. It saves you because Jesus Christ was raised from death.

Monday – Enslaved to Elementary Principles

Galatians 4:1-3 New English Translation Now I mean that the heir, as long as he is a minor, is no different from a slave, though he is the owner of everything. 2 But he is under guardians and managers until the date set by his father. 3 So also we, when we were minors, were enslaved under the basic forces of the world.

Galatians 4:2 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Paul here stresses the utter dependence of an heir during his minority. He is kept under constant surveillance to prevent him from wasting his inheritance. In OT times God placed Israel under the guardianship of the legal system, which was intended to point them forward to the coming Messiah and to lead them to have faith in Him.

Tuesday – God Sent Forth His Son

Galatians 4:4 English Standard Version But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law.

John 1:14 New Life Version Christ became human flesh and lived among us. We saw His shining-greatness. This greatness is given only to a much-loved Son from His Father. He was full of loving-favor and truth.

Galatians 4:4-5 New English Translation 4 But when the appropriate time had come, God sent out his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, so that we may be adopted as sons with full rights.

Romans 8:3-4 New Century Version 3 The law was without power, because the law was made weak by our sinful selves. But God did what the law could not do. He sent his own Son to earth with the same human life that others use for sin. By sending his Son to be an offering for sin, God used a human life to destroy sin. 4 He did this so that we could be the kind of people the law correctly wants us to be. Now we do not live following our sinful selves, but we live following the Spirit.

2 Corinthians 5:21 Easy-to-Read Version Christ had no sin, but God made him become sin so that in Christ we could be right with God.

Philippines 2:5-8 Common English Bible 5 Adopt the attitude that was in Christ Jesus: 6 Though he was in the form of God, he did not consider being equal with God something to exploit. 7 But he emptied himself by taking the form of a slave and by becoming like human beings. When he found himself in the form of a human, 8 he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

Hebrews 2:14-18 New Living Translation 14 Because God’s children are human beings—made of flesh and blood—the Son also became flesh and blood. For only as a human being could he die, and only by dying could he break the power of the devil, who had the power of death. 15 Only in this way could he set free all who have lived their lives as slaves to the fear of dying. 16 We also know that the Son did not come to help angels; he came to help the descendants of Abraham. 17 Therefore, it was necessary for him to be made in every respect like us, his brothers and sisters, so that he could be our merciful and faithful High Priest before God. Then he could offer a sacrifice that would take away the sins of the people. 18 Since he himself has gone through suffering and testing, he is able to help us when we are being tested.

Hebrews 4:14-15 Good News Translation 14 Let us, then, hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we have a great High Priest who has gone into the very presence of God—Jesus, the Son of God. 15 Our High Priest is not one who cannot feel sympathy for our weaknesses. On the contrary, we have a High Priest who was tempted in every way that we are, but did not sin.

Wednesday – The Privileges of Adoption

Galatians 4:5-7 Contemporary English Version 5 so he could set us free from the Law, and we could become God’s children. 6 Now that we are his children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts. And his Spirit tells us that God is our Father. 7 You are no longer slaves. You are God’s children, and you will be given what he has promised.

Ephesians 1:5 New Living Translation God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure.

Romans 8:15-16 Common English Bible 15 You didn’t receive a spirit of slavery to lead you back again into fear, but you received a Spirit that shows you are adopted as his children. With this Spirit, we cry, “Abba, Father.” 16 The same Spirit agrees with our spirit, that we are God’s children.

Romans 8:23 Living Bible And even we Christians, although we have the Holy Spirit within us as a foretaste of future glory, also groan to be released from pain and suffering. We, too, wait anxiously for that day when God will give us our full rights as his children, including the new bodies he has promised us—bodies that will never be sick again and will never die.

Romans 9:4-5 New Century Version 4 They are the people of Israel, God’s chosen children. They have seen the glory of God, and they have the agreements that God made between himself and his people. God gave them the law of Moses and the right way of worship and his promises. 5 They are the descendants of our great ancestors, and they are the earthly family into which Christ was born, who is God over all. Praise him forever! Amen.

Galatians 4:6 Modern English Version And because you are sons, God has sent forth into our hearts the Spirit of His Son, crying, “Abba, Father!”

Galatians 4:6 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES The "spirit" here referred to does not mean, as I suppose, the Holy Spirit as such; nor the miraculous endowments of the Holy Spirit, but the spirit which made them like the Lord Jesus; the spirit by which they were enabled to approach God as his children, and use the reverent, and tender, and affectionate language of a child addressing a father. It is that language used by Christians when they have evidence of adoption; the expression of the warm, and elevated, and glowing emotions which they have when they can approach God as their God, and address him as their Father.

Thursday – Why Turn Back to Slavery?

Galatians 4:8-20 Worldwide English (New Testament) 8 At first, you did not know God. At that time you obeyed things which are not real gods. 9 But now you know God. That is, God knows you. Then why do you turn to things that are weak and can do no good? Do you want to obey them again? 10 You have holy days, holy months, holy seasons, and holy years.

11 I fear that all my work for you has been for nothing.12 My brothers, I beg you, be like me because I am like you. You did me no wrong. 13 You know that I was sick when I first told you the good news. 14 My sickness troubled you. But you did not think wrongly of me or turn away from me. You received me as if I were an angel from God, as if I were Christ Jesus.

15 Why are you not happy any more? I saw myself that you would have taken out your own eyes and given them to me if you could do such a thing. 16 Do you hate me because I tell you the truth? 17 Other people are trying hard to get you on their side. But they do not mean to help you. They want to get you away from Christ so that you will listen to them. 18 Of course, it is good if someone tries to help you, but only if it is for a good reason. It is always good, not only when I am with you. 19 My dear children, I feel pain for you again, like a mother when her child is being born. I will feel pain until Christ lives in your heart. 20 I wish I could be with you now, and not have to talk this way. But I am troubled about you.

Galatians 4:9-11 New Living Translation 9 So now that you know God (or should I say, now that God knows you), why do you want to go back again and become slaves once more to the weak and useless spiritual principles of this world? 10 You are trying to earn favor with God by observing certain days or months or seasons or years. 11 I fear for you. Perhaps all my hard work with you was for nothing.

Galatians 4:10 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Paul here refers to the seven ceremonial sabbaths and the new moons of the ceremonial system. There is no basis in Scripture for assuming, as some do, that the “days” of which Paul here speaks refer to the seventh-day Sabbath. Nowhere in the Bible is the seventh day referred to in the language here used. Furthermore, the seventh-day Sabbath was instituted at creation, before the entrance of sin and some 2,500 years before the inauguration of the ceremonial system at Mt. Sinai. If observance of the seventh-day Sabbath subjects a man to bondage, it must be that the Creator Himself entered into bondage when He observed the world’s first Sabbath! And that conclusion is unthinkable.