Facts of our Faith

aka

We believe that God never changes:

"I am that I am. "Exodus 3:14

"For I am the LORD, I change not." Malachi 3:6

"Christ is the same Yesterday, and Today, and Forever." Hebrews 13:8

"... with whom there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." James 1:17

aka

The testimony of the Bible itself to the fact that "all Scripture is given by inspiration of God." 2 Timothy 3:16.

The New Testament was translated by M. Luther in the common language of the German people in 1521. Fifty-eight editions of it were printed between 1522 and 1533: seventeen editions at Wittenberg, thirteen at Augsburg, twelve at Basel, one at Erfurt, one at Grimma, one at Leipzig, and thirteen at Strassburg.

The Old Testament was first printed in four parts, 1523 to 1533, and finally the entire Bible was published in one volume in 1534.

aka

(this post and the following posts are tidbits taken from  http://tinyurl.com/y7lns5qy ).

The Inspiration Of The Bible

The Bible is not the product of man's thought and planning.

"For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the

Holy Ghost." 2 Peter 1:21. Peter says: "The Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake," and David himself declares: "The Spirit of the Lord spake by me." Acts 1:16; 2 Samuel 23:2.

Of Jeremiah we read: "Then the Lord put forth His hand, and touched my mouth. And the Lord said unto me, Behold, I have put My words in thy mouth." Jeremiah 1:9.

Thus the whole Bible is God's word spoken through human instrumentality, for "God hath spoken by the mouth of all His holy

prophets since the world began" (Acts 3:21), and His hand guided them while they wrote.

"All this," said David, "the Lord made me understand in writing by His hand upon me." 1 Chronicles 28:19.

And so, the prophets, after writing of Christ's coming, were "searching" their own writings to find out "what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow." 1 Peter 1:11

aka

Martin Luther’s bible translation caused uproar in the readers.

"Every honest intellect was at once struck with the strange discrepancy between the teaching of the Sacred Volume and that of the church of Rome."

"Historical Studies," Eugene Lawrence, p. 255. New York: Harper Brothers., 1876.

In the Book of God there were found no purgatory, no infallible pope, no masses for the dead, no sale of indulgences, no relics working miracles, no prayers for the dead, no worship of the Virgin Mary or of saints! But there the people found a loving Saviour with open arms welcoming the poorest and vilest of sinners to come and receive forgiveness full and free. Love filled their hearts and broke the shackles of sin and superstition.

Profanity, coarse jests, drunkenness, vice, and disorder disappeared. The blessed Book was read by young and old, and became the talk in home and shop, while the Church with its Latin mass lost its attraction.

aka

The strongest appeal of the Roman Catholic Church lies in its claim to "apostolic succession," that is, that its popes descended in direct line from the apostles.   Protestants, originating in the sixteenth century, have no such appeal. Their strong argument lies in their exact conformity with the Bible in faith and morals.

"The Bible, and the Bible only" is their battle cry.

The Bible reveals man's utter inability to attain justification by his own works, and offers it as a "free gift," obtained by faith in the merits of Jesus Christ alone. The Bible presents good works only as the natural fruit of genuine faith. On this foundation was Protestantism built.

aka

The Holy Spirit is our bible guide. Christ promised His followers: "Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth."

"He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance." John 16:13; 14:26.

That these promises are not confined to the leaders of the church, is made plain by John, who applies them to all Christians:

"But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, . . - ye shall abide in Him." 1 John 2:27

aka

The New Testament repeatedly referred to the Old Testament as inspired authority (about eight hundred twenty-four times).

Jesus declared the first five books in the Bible were written by Moses (Mark 12:26; Luke 24:25, 44, 45), and that He asked:

"If ye believe not his [Moses'] writings, how shall ye believe My words?" John 5: 46.

Jesus said: "Noe entered into the ark," and "the Flood came, and took them all away." Matthew 24:33, 39. He even believed the truthfulness of the account of Jonah's being in the great fish for three days, and of his preaching in Nineveh afterwards - (Matthew 12:40,41.)

aka

THE prophecies of the Bible are not difficult to understand, if we follow the rules laid down in Scripture for interpreting prophecy. These rules are few in number, and they are not complicated. When used in connection with prophetic symbols, "sea," or "waters," stand for "multitudes" of people (Revelation 17:15; Isaiah 8:7; 17: 12; Jeremiah 6:23); "wind " stands for "war " (Jeremiah 4:12, 13; 25: 31, 32); "beasts" stand for "kingdoms" (Daniel 7:23); and "days" for "years" (Ezekiel 4:6). "wind " stands for "war " (Jeremiah 4:12, 13; 25: 31, 32); "beasts" stand for "kingdoms"

In Jeremiah 49:19, 22, 28, a lion is used to symbolize the kingdom of Babylon (606-538 B. c). The second beast was like a bear  (Daniel 7: 5), and denoted Medo-Persia, the next world empire (538-331 B. C.). The "three ribs in the mouth of it " were the three chief countries which it conquered, Lydia, Babylon, and Egypt.

He next saw a leopard having four heads and four wings (v. 6), symbolizing the Grecian Empire (331168 B. C). A leopard is very alert, and adding to this symbol four wings would indicate that Grecia would make rapid conquest, which was true. Alexander the Great marched his army 5,100 miles in eight years and conquered the then known civilised world. The four heads on the leopard denote the four divisions into which that  empire was split up after the death of Alexander.

"The fourth beast," the angel explained, "shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth." V. 23. The fourth empire from Babylon was Rome (168 B. c. to 476 A. D). The angel also informs us that "the ten horns out of this kingdom are ten kings that shall arise." V. 24. The Roman Empire was split up into just ten smaller kingdoms between the years 351 and 476 A. D.

The following are their ancient and modern names:

1 . Alemanni - Germany. 2. Franks - France. 3. Anglo-Saxons - England. 4. Burgundians

-Swiitzerland. 5. Visigoths - Spain. 6. Suevi - Portugal. 7. Lombards - Italy. 8. Heruli. 9.

Vandals. 10. Ostrogoths.

This prophecy is so plain, and the explanation so natural and easy to understand, that all commentators, both Protestant and Catholic, fully agree on it.

aka

"I considered the horns, and, behold, there came up among them another little horn." Daniel 7: 8.

Let us now consider all the characteristics this prophecy gives to the littlehorn, and we shall be forced by weight of evidence to settle on just one power as the fulfillment of these predictions.

(1) It was to come up "among" the ten European kingdoms into which the Roman Empire was split. (V. 8)

(2) It "shall rise" to power "after them." (V. 24)

(3) "And he shall be diverse from the first" ten kingdoms; that is, different from ordinary, secular kingdoms. (V. 24) Any one acquainted with history knows that the Papacy is the only power that answers to all these specifications. It rose "among" the kingdoms of Western Rome, "after" they were established in A. D. 476, and it differed from a purely civil power. But the angel gives still another mark of identity to the little horn.

(4) Before it "there were three of the first horns plucked up by the roots." (V. 8.) That is, in coming up it pushed out before it three of the former horns by the roots. Thus three kingdoms were to be plucked up to give place for the Papacy. This prediction found its exact fulfilment in the destruction of the three Arian kingdoms: the Heruli, the Vandals, and the Ostrogoths, as we now shall see.

Rev. E. B. Elliott, M.A., says:

"I might cite three that were eradicated from before the Pope out of the list first given;

viz., the Heruli under Odoacer, the Vandals, and the Ostrogoths. "Horae Apocalypticae,"Vol. III, p. 168, Note 1. London: 1862.

In former days crowns of conquered kings were placed on the head of the conqueror. (2Samuel 12: 30.) It is symbolically fitting, therefore, that the pope wears a triple crown. Bishop Thomas Newton, speaking of the power that destroyed the three horns, says: "And the pope hath in a manner pointed himself out for the person by wearing the triple crown."     "Dissertations on the Prophecies," p. 220. London.

A brief statement of the political and religious conditions in the Roman world is necessary here in order that the reader may better grasp the real situation in which these three Arian kingdoms found themselves. After Constantine had removed the seat of the empire from Rome to Constantinople, the Roman people were (at intervals) ruled from that Eastern capital, until the pope had grown to power in Rome. While the Papacy was gradually gaining control over the people of the West, the Eastern emperors were courting the good will of the popes in order to hold their Western subjects.

From the time of Constantine to that of Justinian there was a deadly struggle between the two largest factions of the Church, the Catholics and the Arians. Often there was terrible strife, and even bloodshed. "The streets of Alexandria and of Constantinople were deluged with blood by the partisans of rival bishops."

"History of Christianity," H. H. Milman, Book III, chap. 5, par. 2, p. 410. New York: 2-vol. ed., 1881.

Most of the barbarian nations into which the Roman Empire was now split had accepted the Catholic faith. But the Heruli, the Vandals, and the Ostrogoths were Arians. While the emperors courted the help of the popes for political reasons, the popes sought the assistance of the emperors to destroy the Arians.

Theodosius, the Emperor of the East, had already (380-395 A. D.) given "fifteen stern edicts against heresy, one on the average for every year of his reign. . . . So began the campaign which ended in the virtual extinction of Arianism in the Roman world." - "Italy and her Invaders," Thomas Hodgkin, Vol. I, pp. 368, 369. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 8-vol. ed. of 1899.

-----------------------------

JoeMo

Hi aka,

Very good study on one of the visions of Daniel.  Your study assumes a preterist/historicist view of prophecy.  I take a futurist view of prophecy; that the prophesied events you discuss here are future events; not past events.  These prophecies were written for the time of the end (See Dan. 8:17, 8:19, 12:4, and 12:9).  Also. when I compare Daniel to Revelation, I don't see how Rome can be the end-time kingdom. Rev. 17:10 states "They are also seven kings. Five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come; but when he does come, he must remain for only a little while."  The 5 who had fallen at the time of john were Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Medo-Persia and Greece.  The one that "is" was Rome.  The one that is to come is not even the end-time king.

"The beast who once was, and now is not, is an eighth king. He belongs to the seven and is going to his destruction.  “The ten horns you saw are ten kings who have not yet received a kingdom, but who for one hour will receive authority as kings along with the beast. "(Rev 17:11-12)  This verse seems to indicate that all 10 horns are alive at the same time; and all of them are allied to the beast.

The rest of Rev. 17 and 18 describe Babylon and her fate.  These events have not happened yet.  Rome has never been suddenly and totally destroyed.  The RCC has never been "burned with fire".

aka

Hi JoMo,

I accept your slant as feasible. I slant to various views at the present and will know more the more I study.

The author of this manuscript I am giving these tidbits of here is Christian Edwardson. An SDA.  I accept his preterist/historicist view of prophecy. I like his method of writing and don't have such a hard time of grasping history as he is putting it. 

aka

“A Time, and Times. And Half a Time”

The little horn of Daniel 7: 8, 25, was to reign for "a time and times and the dividing of time." This same "time, and times, and half a time " is also mentioned in Revelation 12:14, and in the sixth verse it is said to be "a thousand two hundred and threescore days."

In prophecy a day always stands for a year. (Ezekiel 4:6) This prophetic period is therefore 1260 literal years.

We shall now show that these 1260 years began in 538 A.D., and invite the reader to notice the four great changes that took place that year:

1. We have already seen that the little horn symbolised the Papacy, and that three Arian kingdoms, which stood in its way, were plucked up by the roots, and that the last of these received its deathblow in 538 A. D. through the efforts of Justinian, the faithful son of the church of Rome.

2. History states that the work of Justin and Justinian in elevating the Papacy to power brought on a new era, introducing the Middle Ages. "With the conquest of Rome by Belisarius, the history of the ancient city may be considered as terminating; and with his defence against Witigis [A. D. 538], commences the history of the Middle Ages. "Greece Under the Romans," George Finlay, pp. 198, 240, Dent edition, 1877.

3. Even the Papacy itself changed, so there was a new order of popes after 538 A. D.

History relates:

"Down to the sixth century all popes are declared saints in the martyrologies. Vigillius (537-555) is the first of a series of popes who no longer bear this title, which is henceforth sparingly conferred. From this time on the popes, more and more enveloped  in worldly events, no longer belong solely to the church; they are men of the state, and then rulers of the state." "Medieval Europe," Belmont and Monod (revised by George Burton Adams), p. 120. New York: H. Holt & Co., 1902.

The Wanderer
2 hours ago, aka said:

Hi JoMo,

I accept your slant as feasible. I slant to various views at the present and will know more the more I study.

The author of this manuscript I am giving these tidbits of here is Christian Edwardson. An SDA.  I accept his preterist/historicist view of prophecy. I like his method of writing and don't have such a hard time of grasping history as he is putting it. 

I enjoy studies like this as well. There is so much to know. One way that I have been exploring for study of Daniel and Revelation is to synthesize a main point or two from a given book, or chapter of a book, is to write a poem about the point at hand. I have a good one that I have done regarding Daniel, chapter nine. I'll have to try to find it and post it. :)

8thdaypriest
On 9/27/2017 at 11:51 AM, aka said:

And so, the prophets, after writing of Christ's coming, were "searching" their own writings to find out "what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow." 1 Peter 1:11

Interesting that BOTH Old Testament and New Testament believers/teachers/prophets were "searching" the writings, trying to discern the "time" of the Christ's coming. 

8thdaypriest
On 9/28/2017 at 6:09 AM, aka said:

THE prophecies of the Bible are not difficult to understand, if we follow the rules laid down in Scripture for interpreting prophecy. These rules are few in number, and they are not complicated. When used in connection with prophetic symbols, "sea," or "waters," stand for "multitudes" of people (Revelation 17:15; Isaiah 8:7; 17: 12; Jeremiah 6:23); "wind " stands for "war " (Jeremiah 4:12, 13; 25: 31, 32); "beasts" stand for "kingdoms" (Daniel 7:23); and "days" for "years" (Ezekiel 4:6). "wind " stands for "war " (Jeremiah 4:12, 13; 25: 31, 32); "beasts" stand for "kingdoms"

In Jeremiah 49:19, 22, 28, a lion is used to symbolize the kingdom of Babylon (606-538 B. c). The second beast was like a bear  (Daniel 7: 5), and denoted Medo-Persia, the next world empire (538-331 B. C.). The "three ribs in the mouth of it " were the three chief countries which it conquered, Lydia, Babylon, and Egypt.

He next saw a leopard having four heads and four wings (v. 6), symbolizing the Grecian Empire (331168 B. C). A leopard is very alert, and adding to this symbol four wings would indicate that Grecia would make rapid conquest, which was true. Alexander the Great marched his army 5,100 miles in eight years and conquered the then known civilised world. The four heads on the leopard denote the four divisions into which that  empire was split up after the death of Alexander.

"The fourth beast," the angel explained, "shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth." V. 23. The fourth empire from Babylon was Rome (168 B. c. to 476 A. D). The angel also informs us that "the ten horns out of this kingdom are ten kings that shall arise." V. 24. The Roman Empire was split up into just ten smaller kingdoms between the years 351 and 476 A. D.

The following are their ancient and modern names:

1 . Alemanni - Germany. 2. Franks - France. 3. Anglo-Saxons - England. 4. Burgundians

-Swiitzerland. 5. Visigoths - Spain. 6. Suevi - Portugal. 7. Lombards - Italy. 8. Heruli. 9.

Vandals. 10. Ostrogoths.

This prophecy is so plain, and the explanation so natural and easy to understand, that all commentators, both Protestant and Catholic, fully agree on it.

More and more and more students of prophecy are beginning to question an ancient fulfillment of this prophecy.  The "lion" was also the symbol of Ancient Judea.  The "eagle" represents the United States military might which has supported the present geopolitical nation called "Israel".  But the time is fast approaching when the "eagles wings" will be "torn off", and Israel will be humbled.

The "bear" could very well represent Russia.   And the "leopard like beast" with "four heads and four wings, could easily represent a far Eastern trade coalition (China, Korea, Japan, ?India).

The verse which grabs my attention is Daniel 7:11-12.  AFTER the terrible "beast was slain and its body destroyed and given to the burning flame, "the rest of the beasts, are still alive.  "Their dominion" was "taken away, yet their lives were prolonged for a season and a time." 

The "rest of the beasts" would be the lion, bear, and leopard.  QUESTION:  What "season" and "time" would this be?   Answer:  Those of you who know me, know that I believe this will be for the 8th millennium, when "the rest of the dead" will be raised, to learn the ways of the LORD. 

The "lion" "bear" and "leopard" will be swallowed up, subjugated BY, incorporated INTO the "terrible beast" power, until that power is destroyed and burned.  In Rev. 13:2 we see the terrible beast is "like a leopard, his feet were like the feet of a bear, and his mouth like the mouth of a lion." 

The 10 Kings will rule for "one hour" WITH the Beast - the last hour of this age.  That places the 10 Kings right down at the END, not back in 351-476 AD. 

The "Little Horn" which subdues 3 of the 10 kings, is the very one who will persecute the saints for 42 months, (time, times, and a part) - (1260 days) LEADING UP TO the sitting of "the court" in Heaven, the change of "dominion" to Christ, and the victorious return of Christ in glory.

The "Little Horn" is the one who will "exalt himself above all that is called God".  He will demand worship.  He will sit in the Temple of God.

“Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition,  who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.”

Daniel 7 was written, to help us identify the "little horn".  When we are suffering his persecution, we will know that the END is very very near.

Just my opinion.

aka

Rachel, my head bows to you in acknowledging your Yom Kippur blessing.  Yom Kippur means "Day of Atonement". The Jewish approach to this day is way different than the SDA approach. I read that their community regulates the day by avoiding five actions....

• There's no eating or drinking of any type of fluid
  • There's no wearing of leather shoes
  • There's no applying lotions or creams
  • There's no showering, washing or bathing
  • There's no engaging in conjugal relations

No work is to be done like on a Sabbath day, and special candles are lit for the holiday. Yom Kippur is dedicated to introspection in seeking unforgiven sin in the soul, prayer for asking God for forgiveness.

Israel left Egypt in the year 2448 from creation (1313 BCE). Sadly they sinned by worshipping a golden calf. Moses ascended Mount Sinai and prayed to God to forgive them. Mercifully, full Divine favor was obtained. The day Moses came down the mountain (the 10th of Tishrei) was to be known forevermore as the Day of Atonement—Yom Kippur.

When the second Temple was destroyed in the year 3830 from creation (70 CE), the Yom Kippur service continued. Instead of a High Priest bringing the sacrifices in Jerusalem, now every single Jew performs the Yom Kippur service in the temple of his or her heart.

aka

“A Time, and Times. And Half a Time”

The little horn of Daniel 7: 8, 25, was to reign for "a time and times and the dividing of time." This same "time, and times, and half a time " is also mentioned in Revelation 12:14, and in the sixth verse it is said to be "a thousand two hundred and threescore days."

In prophecy a day always stands for a year. (Ezekiel 4:6) This prophetic period is therefore 1260 literal years.

We shall now show that these 1260 years began in 538 A.D., and invite the reader to notice the four great changes that took place that year:

1. We have already seen that the little horn symbolised the Papacy, and that three Arian kingdoms, which stood in its way, were plucked up by the roots, and that the last of these received its deathblow in 538 A. D. through the efforts of Justinian, the faithful son of the church of Rome.

2. History states that the work of Justin and Justinian in elevating the Papacy to power brought on a new era, introducing the Middle Ages. "With the conquest of Rome by Belisarius, the history of the ancient city may be considered as terminating; and with his defence against Witigis [A. D. 538], commences the history of the Middle Ages. "Greece Under the Romans," George Finlay, pp. 198, 240, Dent edition, revised by author, 1877.

3. Even the Papacy itself changed, so there was a new order of popes after 538 A. D.

History relates:

"Down to the sixth century all popes are declared saints in the martyrologies. Vigillius (537-555) is the first of a series of popes who no longer bear this title, which is henceforth sparingly conferred. From this time on the popes, more and more enveloped  in worldly events, no longer belong solely to the church; they are men of the state, and then rulers of the state." "Medieval Europe," Belmont and Monod (revised by George Burton Adams), p. 120. New York: H. Holt & Co., 1902.

aka

Close Of The 1260 Years

Having now seen that the 1260 years of papal supremacy began in 538 A. D., it is an easy matter to find their close.

Adding the 1260 years to 538 brings us to the year 1798.

And if we have given the right application to this prophecy, history must record an event in 1798 that would appear like a death stroke to the Papacy. Turning to history we find just such an event recorded:

The official Swedish newspaper, Slockholms Postlidning, for March 29, 1798, has the  following news item:

"Rome, the 21st of Feb. [1798], Pope Pins VI, has occupied the papal chair for all of twenty-eight years, but the 15th inst. his government in the Papal States was abolished, and five days later, guarded by one hundred French soldiers, he was taken away from his palace and his capital. . . ."His . . . property was sold by the French, and among it were seven hundred head of cattle, one hundred fifty horses, and eight hundred cords of wood. . . ."Poor Pius! He must have felt very sad as he left Rome to go into captivity. When he departed his tear-filled eyes were turned heavenward."

An English secular writer, John Adolphus, says of 1798:

"The downfall of the papal government, by whatever means effected, excited perhaps less sympathy than that of any other in Europe: the errors, the oppressions, the tyranny of Rome over the whole Christian world, were remembered with bitterness., many rejoiced, through religious antipathy, in the overthrow of a church which they considered as idolatrous, though attended with the immediate triumph of infidelity; and many saw in these events the accomplishment of prophecies, and the exhibition of signs promised in the most mystical parts of the Holy Scriptures. "History of France from 1790-1802," Vol. II, p. 879. London: 1803.

God's prophetic clock had set the year 1798 as the end of the papal supremacy, and when that hour struck, the mighty ruler on the Tiber, before whose anathemas the kings and emperors of Europe had so long trembled, went "into captivity" (Revelation 13: 10), and his government in the Papal States was abolished. Thus the historical events fit exactly into the mold of prophecy, and establish the fact that "we have also a more sure word of prophecy; where unto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn." 2 Peter 1: 19.

But prophecy foretells that this "deadly wound" would be healed, and that the world once more, for a brief moment, would follow the papal power. (Revelation 13:3)

JoeMo

"After you have finished this, lie down again, this time on your right side, and bear the sin of the people of Judah. I have assigned you 40 days, a day for each year." Ezek 4:6)  This is a specific application to one specific prophecy.

" Your children will be shepherds here for forty years, suffering for your unfaithfulness, until the last of your bodies lies in the wilderness.  For forty years—one year for each of the forty days you explored the land—you will suffer for your sins and know what it is like to have me against you.’ (Numbers 14:33-34) Again - a specific application for one specific prophecy.

Where is the logic that says just because something applies to two specific prophecies (actually judgments; not prophecies) that it applies in general to all prophecies?  The prophecies surrounding Christ's birth, ministry, death, and resurrection were fulfilled in real time.  Why wouldn't the events surrounding his return be fulfilled real time?

While I understand historically why the RCC and papacy used to be tied to the end-time beast/antichrist, I fail to see how - in this age - one can realistically believe that now.  How many bands of marauding Catholics do we see running around the world beheading people?  I can think of another religion that has those kind of people, and are currently terrorizing the world - especially the Middle East and North Africa, the specific area where most of the Bible was written about.

Just because something was considered true in the past doesn't make it true.  People used to believe the earth was flat.  Should we honor that belief for history's sake?  Same the the antichrist RCC.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.