Kingdom of Adventistan
Gregory Matthews

Baptizing the Devil

Aubrey

Why, then, this irresistible urge to “baptize the devil” by seeking to harmonize evolution with Genesis? 

In short, people want to believe in God but have a difficult time doing so when science contradicts the Bible. I realize the author is looking at the topic from another perspective--equating evolution with the devil. 

Gregory Matthews

Does science contradict the Bible?

Or, does science contradict my personal understanding of the Bible?

Or, are both possible?

JoeMo
5 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

Does science contradict the Bible?

Or, does science contradict my personal understanding of the Bible?

Or, are both possible?

I pick option 3.

Bravus

The book's blurb:

"Most every age has myths, even creation myths.  Ours is evolution. “But evolution can’t be a myth,” people say. “It’s science!” But the meta-myth of our age is that because something is science it must be true. Baptizing the Devil hopes to free believers from that myth, and the knee-jerk reaction that the only logical and rational response to the phrase “But it’s science!” is to surrender one’s beliefs to it, even such a foundational belief as creation."

"Myth' does not mean something is untrue or fictional. A myth is a meaning-making story. If recent creation makes meaning, it's a myth, and saying so is not saying anything about its truth.

Saying that something is 'science' is also not especially useful: any rich definition of science includes at least (1) a set of methods of inquiry, (2) attitudes and values in relation to knowledge, (3) technical language and conventions of communication (e.g. nomenclature, units), (4) a body of measurement results (data) and (5) a set of interrelated theoretical frameworks that has descriptive, predictive and explanatory power in relation to the data.

Knowledge and belief are also different, inter-related things.

The bottom line, for me, is that the quote from the blurb either (a) displays a lack of understanding of some of these distinctions or (b) understands them but deliberately elides them for rhetorical effect.

Gregory Matthews

As to myth:  Bravus is correct.  In the formal understanding of the word, a myth in a story that has significant value to a subset of people.  That myth may be true and it may be false.  Whether it is true or false is not indicated by calling it a myth.

In this sense of the word. the  creation myth is important for both Adventists and for many people.

Aubrey
3 minutes ago, Gregory Matthews said:

As to myth:  Bravus is correct. 

Whew! I thought there for a minute that maybe he wasn't! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Aubrey

And...having said that, I think it is yet again time for me to take a break from ClubAdventist. 

(I can't stand being "corrected" or even told that I'm "correct". See ya' in a couple of months, maybe.)

The Wanderer
12 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

For the latest from Clifford Goldstein see the book Baptizing the Devil.

https://www.baptizingthedevil.com/

It can be purchased from Amazon.

I do believe that I will pass on this offer.

Clifford, from Marketing, keeps coming up with ever-increasingly flamboyant and off-centred ways and means by which to peddle books that deal with basic questions and  "answers." The subliminal projections as evidenced on the website baptizingthedevil.com speak for themselves, and garner the desired sales requisite for his personal retirement fund. The entire web site, flashy as it is, really only has a few complete sentences, locking spectators into buying mode, and getting out the credit card to find out what comes next. I have serious questions about how this accomplishes "the Lord's work." What a waste of $25.00 plus shipping.

I will follow Gregory's example and say no to buying the book. But I would definitely question calling either evolution or creation, "myths."

phkrause

I for one will be purchasing my Jewish brothers book!!!!! First off, Cliff doesn't peddle any book, never has and never will!!!!! The book will accomplish much for the Lord's work!! I have a lot more to say, but I'll leave it here!! I don't want to say something that I can't take back. As I've said many times, Jews just have a different mind set, as we can see from the Bible itself, etc. I will be buying this book, and it wont be a waste of money, period!!

Gregory Matthews

Aubrey, you lost me on your post of being corrected.  I fail to find any post in this thread where you were either corrected, or told that you were correct.

The only possible post that I can find is a post where I thought you had raised an important issue and I expanded it for further discussion.

Enlighten me please.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.