Kingdom of Adventistan
Gail

Tassels

Gail

@8thdaypriest

@Kevin H

Apparently the corner of one's hem was pressed into the clay tablets representing legal documents because the hem contained threads which signified the person's status and authority {JPS Torah Commentary, Numbers, pp 410-414, Jewish Publication Society, 1990

Think the tassels with the blue thread...

Think also the significance of David's cutting of the corner of Saul's garment.

Gail

How about the sick woman who touched the hem of Jesus’ garment? What did she see that gave her that hope?

debbym

i have seen two men in the SDA church wearing blue tassels either at four corners of their person or one on each side i cannot perfectly recall.

i  immediately thought of the Jews being required to wear them to continually remind them they belonged to the Lord and were to always walk circumspectly.

I was ok with it, but  i understood that the Kingdom of Christ came without outward Show as the  religious leaders of Christ's day made great show of their religiousity.

not that Christ does not show in your life, but simple physical measures taken was  not proof of the kingdom of God.

debbym
34 minutes ago, Gail said:

How about the sick woman who touched the hem of Jesus’ garment? What did she see that gave her that hope?

Jesus was known for having power over diseases, even leprosy... her faith took hold of the possibility of healing by the power of Jesus..

debbym
34 minutes ago, Gail said:

Yes, but why the hem?

she was trying to be as invisible as possible.

The Wanderer
30 minutes ago, Gail said:

Yes, but why the hem?

I think its connected to the woman who touched the hem of His garment.

"He touched me and set me upright..." (Dan 8:19)

Mar 5:28  For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole.
Mar 5:29  And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague.
Mar 5:30  And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes?

"Virtue" had gone out of Him...I believe that hem has something to do with Christ's "virtue." The hem being evident, reflecting what we could call His virtue.

His virtue will "set me upright."

Kevin H

Yes the hem was where the tassel was. It was the sign of the family's authority. The different families would tie different knots in it to differentiate. An interesting thing was the specific colors for the Hebrews were the colors of priestly clothes. This was a reminder that they were a kingdom of priests, and a notification for the trade caravans who passed through that they could approach anyone in Israel/Judah as priests for their spiritual needs.

One of the earliest ways of replacing the word of God with the traditions of man was about 200 years before Christ when there was a move with in Judaism to STOP having women priests and rabbis. They wanted to make sure that the women would not consider themselves as priests or spiritual leaders by saying that women needed to remove this tassel from their clothing and only men could wear this tassel. Moses had commanded both men and women to wear it.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.