Kingdom of Adventistan
Gregory Matthews

SDA Racism

Gregory Matthews

The following article in informative in regard to the history of the SDA denomination, rather than critical.

After months of delay, William Henry Branson, world president of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, decided he could wait no longer. It was time for action. Five months had passed, and the Supreme Court had not yet issued the ruling widely anticipated to overturn the Plessy v. Ferguson decision of 1896.

See:

https://spectrummagazine.org/article/2017/11/30/adventism-and-americas-original-sin-part-1

Kyran

And the sobering reaches an even deeper level when we read the General Conference president’s frank acknowledgement that Adventists were “trailing behind the procession” of major change in race relations.

Oh noes, we're not embracing babelism fast enough!

The Wanderer
On 12/1/2017 at 5:03 AM, Gregory Matthews said:

The following article in informative in regard to the history of the SDA denomination, rather than critical.

See:

https://spectrummagazine.org/article/2017/11/30/adventism-and-americas-original-sin-part-1

OK Two things for starters.

What is it that this guy (Branson) did specifically? Is this article just talking about that letter that Branson sent out as the "action" that he took? This story is sounding lop-sided already. Two. I was surprised when the article ended. It seemed way too short, and I was expecting it to continue more, perhaps on a page two or something. I am trying to figure out what the main point of said article even was? If its just to say that the head of The Buffalo Club sent out an important letter to everyone; I would hardly call that "action." Am I making sense to anyone; or do I just have a bee in my bonnet?

B/W Photodude
21 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

If its just to say that the head of The Buffalo Club sent out an important letter to everyone; I would hardly call that "action." Am I making sense to anyone; or do I just have a bee in my bonnet?

As with many articles on Spectrum, it just seems to be another way to criticize the church either directly, or indirectly thru the reader comments. One person reading this article took the time for another gratuitous swipe at the current President Wilson, who was not even part of the article!

Occasionally, they get near to a reasonable point to be made. Regarding racism, bet many do not even know about the Free SDA church that formed shortly after the death of EGW. Here is a bit of their history from their website:

http://www.freesda.org/history/freesdabeginnings.html

Gregory Matthews

The Wanderer:  As I understand it, the article as # 1 in a planned series.  So, wait for the coming additions to it.

The Wanderer
11 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

The Wanderer:  As I understand it, the article as # 1 in a planned series.  So, wait for the coming additions to it.

I didnt catch that, thank you

The Wanderer
On 12/1/2017 at 5:03 AM, Gregory Matthews said:

he could wait no longer. It was time for action.

OK, maybe I am isolated from the "problem" IDK, but I seriously do not know whats being talked about here. I have never seen this "racism" at any church I attended, from BC to Ontario here in Canada. Every church I have attended has had many different cultural back grounds, and all worshipped together. I have always thought "our church was cool" because of this kind of thing. The only exception I have ever seen is at the one church I attended in a large city, there was a separate service for one particular cultural back ground, but that was only because none of them spoke English, and the services were done by a bilingual Pastor who also spoke their language. Our church, at the time, was helping them as refugees/immigration sponsors. So, I guess my question is, where is this problem actually happening? Are there any real life examples, or is this all just "on paper?"  I am not denying that the problem exists, just wondering where, when, why, and how. I think i recall some of EGW writings addressing the issue from back in the 1800s, but Id have to do a refresher to be able to say anything definite.

The Wanderer
18 hours ago, B/W Photodude said:

As with many articles on Spectrum, it just seems to be another way to criticize the church either directly, or indirectly thru the reader comments. One person reading this article took the time for another gratuitous swipe at the current President Wilson, who was not even part of the article!

Occasionally, they get near to a reasonable point to be made. Regarding racism, bet many do not even know about the Free SDA church that formed shortly after the death of EGW. Here is a bit of their history from their website:

I have never heard of this church either until now. here is a quote from the article:

as more and more colored members began to be brought into the faith and the racial climate got worse, church leaders began to adopt new practices and policies, and people of color were denied equal rights within the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

My question is exactly what is meant by "rights" here? Are they truly talking about "racism?"

PS  I am a church member of color too. White is a color.

Edited by The Wanderer
added PS

The Wanderer
18 hours ago, B/W Photodude said:

and near the end of the article we see:

It is important to note that most of these separations occurred after Ellen White’s death in 1915, since matters involving the rights due to colored people in the church were not rectified

So again, my question is: Just what exactly do they mean by "rights" here?  Why wont they say  it?

B/W Photodude
23 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

So again, my question is: Just what exactly do they mean by "rights" here?  Why wont they say  it?

I am not sure what part of the country you write from, but apparently, things were not well for "people of color" in the American South at the time of the beginnings of the Adventist church. The rights I am assuming to be pretty much many of the rights not enjoyed by "people of color" by anyone in regular society. This includes being able to be full participating members of the church in seating, drinking fountains, bathrooms, etc. It is not hard to find pictures of segregated facilities from that era extending all the way to within my lifetime for minorities in America. In a not so extreme example of Blacks dealing with racism in the church, you have separate conferences for Blacks. This helped Blacks have an opportunity for church leadership, albeit in the Black community only. Today, things have changed in such a way that it is hard to remember that things were not so good at one time. Even the Southern Union conference is very different with a Black president. Probably would not have happened 100 years ago:

http://www.southernunion.com/article/37/administration/president

Unfortunately, I have heard very "devout" SDA members say some very harsh words for those of color. "Birds of a feather flock together" (Never mind that a blue parakeet will mate with a yellow parakeet!). Even worse, "in heaven, all people of color will be made white!" Seriously, I have heard this. These words will come back to haunt the ones who uttered them, baring forgiveness.

So, I am not surprised that I just found this church myself. I only wonder why this breach has not been repaired and the "freeSDA"s have not rejoined the "mother" church. Is there something still lacking in Christian love that prevents healing?

jim_crow2.jpg

Gregory Matthews

I found the citation to the so-called Free SDAs to be informative and interesting.  I had never heard of them as an organization.  However, I was aware of some of the clergy that they name as having broken away from the SDA denomination due to racial issues.

To the question of rights and discrimination:  When the first African-American man was elected to a Vice-President position in the General Conference, in modern times,  he was NOT welcome eat his lunch in the regular section of the GC Cafeteria!

Do you want me to bring up the well documented situation of a SDA hospital refusing to treat an African-American women on their Emergency Department.  As a result, she died.

How much more do you want?  There is more.

B/W Photodude
18 minutes ago, Gregory Matthews said:

Do you want me to bring up the well documented situation of a SDA hospital refusing to treat an African-American women on their Emergency Department.  As a result, she died.

I recall the story very well. While the behaviors of the medical staff at this hospital was extremely deplorable, it is a stretch to say that she died as a result of refusal of care. This was an event that occurred nearly 80 years ago. She was in an extreme health situation in the ER and quite likely would have died even if care had been given promptly and with complete Christian motives. However, refusing to treat her was acting in bad faith.

Gregory Matthews

Perhaps she would have died even is given care.  The fact is that they the SDA hospital made no effort to save her.  She died.

The Wanderer

Gregory; its never been about "how much do I want," (as in evidence), its just something I have never seen, and I was asking what/why people are talking about with this. I have not seen this kind of racial conflict at any church here in Canada. What that means to you, is of course, your choice.

The Wanderer
3 hours ago, B/W Photodude said:

I recall the story very well. While the behaviors of the medical staff at this hospital was extremely deplorable,

I would agree. My question is  "Are we talking about  history now, or is this same racial conflict still going on?"

debbym

human failings are rife, in my heart, in my church, in the world.

people are human, and racism is just as real in the SDA Church as divorce, alcoholism,  lying, stealing,  adultery, idolatry and covetousness.

i think there is a brand of racism in the USA that is serious, and dangerous.  There is a lot of fear, which has lead to maximum prison sentencing, innocent presumed guilty, and police killings, and more which are incomprehensible.

whoever is other, is so readily regarded as less and second class citizens, etc. .

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.