Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
Gregory Matthews

Bible Study

Gregory Matthews

I am not one who generally makes New Years Resolutions.  That way I do not break them  :)

Over the years, I have read the Bible through many times and in a number of versions.  One of the Bibles that I own has four (4) different versions.  I have decided that during 2018 I will read that Bible through, by reading each chapter in those four versions before I go on to the next chapter.  As I am a detailed person, I have worked out a schedule for reading the Bible, that if I keep to it will allow me to finish reading the Bible, in all four versions, in one year.   Frankly, working out that schedule took more time than I had expected.

In order to accomplish this, I will need to average reading 3.26 chapters each day.  I think that this is doable.

Even though this is a late start in the year,  I invite all who wish to do so, to join me.  I have spent so much time working on my schedule, that I am having to read slightly more than the 3.26 chapter in order to catch up

Probably most of you will only read from one version of the Bible.  Well, at 3.26 chapters, you can complete it in one year.

If you want to you can set a start day that begins tomorrow and simply adjust my scheduled accordingly which will take you to January 10, 2019.

I will attach my schedule to this post, FYI.

May the Lord bless you.

BibleYear2.xlsx

B/W Photodude

The folks over at Blue Letter Bible have a lot of resources for Bible study.

https://www.blueletterbible.org

Here is a chronological plan to read thru the bible as they estimate it was written. You will notice you will be skipping around a bit, but the idea is to read it in order of history. You will be stopping at the beginning of the story of Abraham and go to the book of Job. I am currently on this plan:

https://www.blueletterbible.org/assets/pdf/dbrp/1Yr_ChronologicalPlan.pdf

I also sometimes feel like I read too much Old Testament, and not enough New Testament when reading thru the Bible. Here is a plan that will give you one Old Testament and two New Testament reads in one year! A novel approach and it will be my next journey thru:

https://www.blueletterbible.org/assets/pdf/dbrp/1Yr_LifeJournalPlan.pdf

Gregory Matthews

The New Testament contains 260 chapters.  One can read it through in one month if one reads 10 chapters a day, Or nine chapter a day in every month except February.

B/W Photodude

I read somewhere that HMS Richards Sr read the entire book of John everyday!

Gregory Matthews

My understanding  is that he read the New Testament through every month.  I do not remember how often he read through the Old Testament, but it was more than once a year.

pierrepaul

I've done this a few times in a few different languages. I usually pace myself by pages rather than chapters. For example, my Spanish language Bible has 914 pages of text. If I want to read it through in 3 months (91-92 days) I have to cover 10 pages per day.  For a year I'd have to cover 3-4 pages per day. I usually get bogged down when I hit the Psalms/Proverbs books, and my pace begins to slow.

B/W Photodude
On 1/9/2018 at 7:12 PM, pierrepaul said:

I've done this a few times in a few different languages. =

I plan on reading the Bible in another language. I had a parallel English-Spanish, but noticed the English version is NIV. I am looking for one with a different English version.

I have Strong's Interlinear English-Hebrew OT & English-Greek NT which I would like to do the OT in. 

And I would like to do a parallel English-German Bible sometime!

I am finding that versions of the parallel language Bibles can be expensive.

This would be good for the mind as well as your spiritual life! There is reasonable research that shows learning new languages is good for the mind.

It has been shown that children score higher in standard IQ tests when they have been given music training. Their school experience will be improved. Oliver Sacks considered music to be a form of language and even suggested that music may even carry a message we do not even understand. I keep this in mind when hearing "Christian Rock" music.

pierrepaul

When reading foreign languages, I keep an app open on my phone with either a French Bible (Louis Segond) or an English Bible (KJV, NIV). I only refer to the French or English version if I didn't understand a particular text. If you already have a mobile device (smart phone or tablet) it's easier than looking up individual words in a dictionary and less expensive than parallel bilingual Bibles. For Spanish, if you're reading one of the Reina Valera versions, then the KJV is probably your best English language option for comparison. If you're reading the Spanish Nueva versión internacional, then of course the English NIV would be a better option for comparison.

For German I have a couple of old Luther 1535 translations in the old Fraktur script, but my German reading skills aren't good enough yet to get much out of the text.