Kingdom of Adventistan
Guest Paragon

Question for Seventh-Day Adventist

Guest Paragon

I am taking an SDA beliefs course at the moment and one of my assignments this week is to interview Seventh-day Adventist and see how different Adventist answer certain questions. If you could take just a few minutes to answer some of these pre-set questions I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you. 

1. How long have you been a Seventh-day Adventist?
2. Which of the Adventist beliefs is most central to your life?
3. Which of the Adventist beliefs is most problematic for you?
4. How is your lifestyle related to your beliefs as an Adventist?

chilco
1 hour ago, Guest Paragon said:

I am taking an SDA beliefs course at the moment and one of my assignments this week is to interview Seventh-day Adventist and see how different Adventist answer certain questions. If you could take just a few minutes to answer some of these pre-set questions I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you. 

1. How long?  Many decades.

2. By "beliefs" are you referring to the 28 statements of doctrinal faith?

Assuming it is the 28 statements I would point to #10 as the most central to my life
The Experience of Salvation:  all the rest are clustered around  this central truth

# 10 In infinite love and mercy God made Christ, who knew no sin, to be sin for us, so that in Him we might be made the righteousness of God. Led by the Holy Spirit we sense our need, acknowledge our sinfulness, repent of our transgressions, and exercise faith in Jesus as Lord and Christ, as Substitute and Example. This faith which receives salvation comes through the divine power of the Word and is the gift of God's grace. Through Christ we are justified, adopted as God's sons and daughters, and delivered from the lordship of sin. Through the Spirit we are born again and sanctified; the Spirit renews our minds, writes God's law of love in our hearts, and we are given the power to live a holy life. Abiding in Him we become partakers of the divine nature and have the assurance of salvation now and in the judgment.

3.  I would say that none are really "problematic" for me, at least not in their foundational concept, though I've found some of them are rather vaguely  stated to allow for more differing opinions among Adventist as to what Adventists actually believe, so I would probably express them differently and explain what they mean to me in more detail.

4. Adventism is very much a "lifestyle" as well as a faith.   I live the basic lifestyle.  Perfect I am NOT.  That said -- we are all weak and problem ridden Christians who still need to do a lot of growing in Christ,  it is only as we surrender our lives daily to the Lord that He can led us  upward and enable us to reflect Him to others.  The Lord still has a lot of work to do in me.  Thank God, I can depend on Him  "being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in me will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:" Phil. 1:6 

Guest Paragon
25 minutes ago, chilco said:

1. How long?  Many decades.

2. By "beliefs" are you referring to the 28 statements of doctrinal faith?

Assuming it is the 28 statements I would point to #10 as the most central to my life
The Experience of Salvation:  all the rest are clustered around  this central truth

3.  I would say that none are really "problematic" for me, at least not in their foundational concept, though I've found some of them are rather vaguely  stated to allow for more differing opinions among Adventist as to what Adventists actually believe, so I would probably express them differently and explain what they mean to me in more detail.

4. Adventism is very much a "lifestyle" as well as a faith.   I live the basic lifestyle.  Perfect I am NOT.  That said -- we are all weak and problem ridden Christians who still need to do a lot of growing in Christ,  it is only as we surrender our lives daily to the Lord that He can led us  upward and enable us to reflect Him to others.  The Lord still has a lot of work to do in me.  Thank God, I can depend on Him  "being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in me will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:" Phil. 1:6 

Thank you for this detailed response. I really find it interesting how your response is so different from other Seventh-Day Adventist that I have asked. I cannot wait to see what others say. Thanks again!

Gregory Matthews

1. How long have you been a Seventh-day Adventist?  I was baptized about 70 years ago,

2. Which of the Adventist beliefs is most central to your life?  I can trust God to welcome me into spending eternity with God.

3. Which of the Adventist beliefs is most problematic for you?  There are two aspects to this question:  The SDA Church has teachings that are not fundamental and are not required to become and remain a members.  In addition, the SDA denomination has a wide range as to how a belief is understood and applied to one's life.   Therefore, while I might find some members statemets of a belief to be  problematic, I consider myself to be within the required norm and do not consider our beliefs to be problematic.  

4. How is your lifestyle related to your beliefs as an Adventist?  Strongly.  Very much so.  Not because it is a requirement, but because I believe it to be right.

Guest Paragon
1 hour ago, Gregory Matthews said:

1. How long have you been a Seventh-day Adventist?  I was baptized about 70 years ago,

2. Which of the Adventist beliefs is most central to your life?  I can trust God to welcome me into spending eternity with God.

3. Which of the Adventist beliefs is most problematic for you?  There are two aspects to this question:  The SDA Church has teachings that are not fundamental and are not required to become and remain a members.  In addition, the SDA denomination has a wide range as to how a belief is understood and applied to one's life.   Therefore, while I might find some members statemets of a belief to be  problematic, I consider myself to be within the required norm and do not consider our beliefs to be problematic.  

4. How is your lifestyle related to your beliefs as an Adventist?  Strongly.  Very much so.  Not because it is a requirement, but because I believe it to be right.

Wow thank you very much for commenting Gregory I appreciate it. It is interesting how your response is fairly different from the other Adventist that I asked the same questions to. This will be very helpful in my paper. Thanks again!

Gregory Matthews

As I have said:  SDAs are a diverse group of people who vary in their understanding of SDA beliefs and how they should be applied to one's life.  On just about any doctrine one can find variance.

By the way:   I would be interested in knowning a bit more about you.  Are you SDA?  How are your studies on SDA beliefs connected to a school and an academic program?

Outta Here
22 hours ago, Guest Paragon said:

Twenty-five years. Although, I've been a Christian my entire life, I was a "hard core" SDA (convert, all things church 24/7) for about 15 years, now I'm a "loose core" SDA (for about the past 10 years--rebuilding my Christian life with people and activities outside the church). Prior to Adventism, I was a Lutheran; prior to Lutheranism, I was Presbyterian. 

Central to my life is the belief that I can (and do) have my own personal relationship with God. 

The most problematic for me regarded the keeping of the Sabbath; I witness too much hypocrisy in the church in my "infancy" after conversion. It gave me the sense that not many people were serious in their proclamation of faith. This led me to seek out an online group of "like" believers. Here at Club Adventist and at a couple of other SDA forums I discovered many different interpretations of what the Sabbath rest meant for us. Now, this is not a problem for me, as my understanding is somewhat different than what is commonly preached at the pulpit or in the Sabbath school.

Our lifestyle was greatly affected after our initial conversion. We broke many ties with the "outside" world; our families felt estranged from us because we kept the Sabbath, we went to church, we ate vegetarian foods, we did not see movies, our kids couldn't read books that promoted wizardry or supernatural ideas, we didn't participate in sports, etc. Now, our lifestyle is such that while we lead lives that we hope Christ would find acceptable, we do not distance ourselves from the secular world. We do keep in mind the beliefs of others and try to respect them the best we can. (This includes the beliefs of even non-Christian friends/family.) We have also found ourselves sort of "picking up the scraps" when our SDA friends find themselves at odds with the church--when the church cuts ties with those people for various reasons, my husband and I have been there to soften the transition to life outside of the church.)

debbym
On 1/21/2018 at 12:18 PM, Guest Paragon said:

1. over 40 years

2. Jesus as Savior and Intercessor in heaven today

3. I don't have any issues with  the Adventist beliefs.

4. well, because i accepted Adventist beliefs, i came into range of a lot of education on healthy life style choices, and i enjoy the healthy lifestyle and all the benefits.

The Wanderer
On 1/21/2018 at 1:18 PM, Guest Paragon said:

I would be interested to know more about who you are and what course you are taking, and at what school you are taking it at.  Why would you post this as a guest?

LifeHiscost

One of the best ways I have found the last 50 years of Adventist security, has been my contact , not personal, with Amazing Facts and Pastor Doug Batchelor. No other source has led me so intertwined with the Holy Bible since his program never fails to associate scripture text with Biblical Truth.

31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free... John 8

God is Love!~Jesus saves!  :D    :prayer:    :offtobed:

Guest Paragon
17 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

As I have said:  SDAs are a diverse group of people who vary in their understanding of SDA beliefs and how they should be applied to one's life.  On just about any doctrine one can find variance.

By the way:   I would be interested in knowning a bit more about you.  Are you SDA?  How are your studies on SDA beliefs connected to a school and an academic program?

I am not a SDA but I am taking an intro to SDA beliefs course and our assignment this week was to ask these few questions to Seventh-Day Adventist and see how different people answer the questions. 

Guest Paragon
9 hours ago, Aubrey said:

Twenty-five years. Although, I've been a Christian my entire life, I was a "hard core" SDA (convert, all things church 24/7) for about 15 years, now I'm a "loose core" SDA (for about the past 10 years--rebuilding my Christian life with people and activities outside the church). Prior to Adventism, I was a Lutheran; prior to Lutheranism, I was Presbyterian. 

Central to my life is the belief that I can (and do) have my own personal relationship with God. 

The most problematic for me regarded the keeping of the Sabbath; I witness too much hypocrisy in the church in my "infancy" after conversion. It gave me the sense that not many people were serious in their proclamation of faith. This led me to seek out an online group of "like" believers. Here at Club Adventist and at a couple of other SDA forums I discovered many different interpretations of what the Sabbath rest meant for us. Now, this is not a problem for me, as my understanding is somewhat different than what is commonly preached at the pulpit or in the Sabbath school.

Our lifestyle was greatly affected after our initial conversion. We broke many ties with the "outside" world; our families felt estranged from us because we kept the Sabbath, we went to church, we ate vegetarian foods, we did not see movies, our kids couldn't read books that promoted wizardry or supernatural ideas, we didn't participate in sports, etc. Now, our lifestyle is such that while we lead lives that we hope Christ would find acceptable, we do not distance ourselves from the secular world. We do keep in mind the beliefs of others and try to respect them the best we can. (This includes the beliefs of even non-Christian friends/family.) We have also found ourselves sort of "picking up the scraps" when our SDA friends find themselves at odds with the church--when the church cuts ties with those people for various reasons, my husband and I have been there to soften the transition to life outside of the church.)

Thank you very much for this detailed response I appreciate it!

Guest Paragon
7 hours ago, debbym said:

1. over 40 years

2. Jesus as Savior and Intercessor in heaven today

3. I don't have any issues with  the Adventist beliefs.

4. well, because i accepted Adventist beliefs, i came into range of a lot of education on healthy life style choices, and i enjoy the healthy lifestyle and all the benefits.

Thank you for this Debby.

Guest Paragon
7 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

I would be interested to know more about who you are and what course you are taking, and at what school you are taking it at.  Why would you post this as a guest?

The course is an intro to SDA beliefs class and I posted as a Guest because I have tried signing into other forums but I have had to wait to be confirmed and let in so I just decided to quickly do it the easier way. 

jeannieb

Hello, Guest Paragon,

Welcome to Adventistan.   You'll find a variety of persons here, as well as a variety of beliefs and interpretations of the SDA doctrines.   But as far as I'm concerned, we are not required to be perfect on this earth, but to surrender ourselves to our Saviour and to allow Him to take us with Him into heaven.  The greatest benefit arising out of the SDA faith, to me, is knowing Him in a personal relationship, and having the blessed hope of salvation and a wonderful everlasting life in the New Earth together with God.  I feel so sad for the friends here in my earthly  community who have no hope of a future life after death.  It's what's keeping me going, now that I'm in my 80s.

God bless you.

Jeannieb43

Gregory Matthews

Just wondering:  What school has an Introduction to SDA beliefs, course?

On another subject,  I would be interested in knowing how you understand SDA beleifs toward worship on Sunday.  Are you aware of the number of SDA clergy, like me, who have regularly conducted worship services on Sunday?

Gregory Matthews

Would I be correct if I said that you are a student as LaSierra and the one teaching the class is Sam Leonor?

The Wanderer
8 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

Are you aware of the number of SDA clergy, like me, who have regularly conducted worship services on Sunday

OOO Boy. Now you in trouble (wink)

The Wanderer
23 minutes ago, Gregory Matthews said:

Actually, I am not in trouble.

I hope you realize i was just "pulling your leg" a little. Sunday, or any other day services are a very good idea for many reasons.

GayatfootofCross
On 1/21/2018 at 12:18 PM, Guest Paragon said:

Hello Guest Paragon... Thank you for your inquiry that has us reflecting our spiritual journeys .

Your name does sound familiar.. Are you perchance related to any of the Guests I know? :P

1. I grew up in a non christian home and at 12 years of age we moved next door to a Lay SDA Minister's home and I gobbled the doctrine up. Over 40 years now. :)

A friend said I would have become a J.W.or Mormon or Hare Krishna if I moved next door to them ...I say "YEP!" ... I was such a naive impressionable thirsty for any GOD "knowledge"  child.

2. The teaching of the Dead and Resurrection (#26)" and the emphasizing of Heaven/New Earth (#28) and most glorious- God becoming Man and the effect it has on us humans(# 2, #3, #4, #9, #10) .. and a few other things ultimately pointing to what a Loving Magnanimous God He truly and purely  is.
 I will say this till my dying breath -HE is The Most Beautiful Being in the Entire Universe.

3.  And the saddest thing is I find is  Moses words tends to trump Jesus' character and Words in a few or many  ..and cause of all the rules and regulations and laws and expectations we give ourselves and others in attaining holiness/perfection tends to give anxiety and fear and uneasiness and plays into our controlling tendencies and therefore blocking Jesus from so many large sections of people that do not fit in our narratives .  :(

4. For spiritual survival I had to laser focus my heart and thoughts and talk and prayer etc. to only one thing:

God's love for me and others. 

Every breath I take reminds me of God is in me. ..although I forget far too much and fall!
"But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us." 2 Cor 4:7(#19, #22)  ..We cannot make ourselves Holy by all the rules. God has done it already and we grow in our awareness Just how loved We are in HIS Eyes it does something wonderful to our hearts!   ..How we are not condemned no matter what we say and do and think!  We as a Church will fulfill  Our Mission (#13) when we collectively and individually understand/experience this impartial unconditional yet Simple Love. It will naturally Spill all over illuminating the Earth before Jesus comes saving billions.(#25).

for the list of the 28 Fundamental Beliefs

https://szu.adventist.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/28_Beliefs.pdf

JoeMo
On 1/21/2018 at 1:18 PM, Guest Paragon said:

1. I have been as SDA for 41 years.

2. Honoring Saturday as the Sabbath; conditional immortality; and salvation by faith alone.

3. EGW as an infallible prophet and the papacy as the only option for the antichrist/beast.

4. I was a hedonistic Bohemian before becoming an SDA.  Through the power of the Holy Spirit, I have shed many of the behaviors associated with that lifestyle; but I am still a work in progress.  As the country singer John Anderson once said "I'm just an old chuck of coal; but I'll be a diamond some day."  No matter how "good" I become; I still deserve etrenal damnation; but because of the mercy and grace of Jesus, I am covered in His righteousness.  In my life, I try to keep in mind that God is always with me - in good times and bad - coaxing me to do the right thing.  I don't always "listen"; but I pray I'm getting better at it all the time.

Gail
On January 21, 2018 at 12:18 PM, Guest Paragon said:

How long have you been a Seventh-day Adventist?
4. How is your lifestyle related to your beliefs as an Adventist?

1. 39 years

2. God's love, which is well beyond what we know as humans

3. I don't think any of the beliefs are problematic to me. What is problematic is refusal to grow in understanding. If the presentation of any of the beliefs denies God's character of love as it is plainly stated in Scripture, I believe the problem to be in human interpretation. Along with the belief in the love of God is that His love provides perfect freedom to choose one's direction. His love allows time for growth toward Him and changes the believer's heart toward love.

4. As a believer I do have a desire for a simple, natural lifestyle. I like to socialize with people from all backgrounds. Interests tend away from materialism.

Thank you for your interest, Paragon! I think you will find a diversity among Adventist believers. Good luck on your project and I wish you well in your class :) 

The Wanderer
On 1/22/2018 at 9:39 PM, Guest Paragon said:

I am not a SDA but I am taking an intro to SDA beliefs course and our assignment this week was to ask these few questions to Seventh-Day Adventist and see how different people answer the questions. 

I got side-tracked an intended to make it back here a lot sooner, but it didnt turn out that way. But I am back now, so thats all that counts.

1. Id have to count to be sure but I think its been 30 years since I was baptized in the SDA Church. Technically, we are not supposed to call it SDA anymore as there are other groups around the world that have adopted the SDA abbreviation  and that do not embrace the official beliefs of Seventh-day Adventists.

2.  The belief that is most central to my life and its something that can be derived from every one of the doctrines is that there is always a little bit of light. (Micah 7:8)  Each doctrine is simply intended to speak to various needs that we all experience from time to time

3. None of the beliefs are problematic for me; but I have had questions from time to time about the way I have seen others practice them

4. My lifestyle is one where I believe that my hardships and trials can serve as lessons for others, as in we can tell what Jesus has done for us; how He has comforted us, so that they too can receive the same comfort. This is a good way to share God with others of different faith back grounds or with no faith background. Its kind of hard for anyone to argue with personal experience. (1 John 1:1-3)

I would still like to know what school and course you are doing. Just curious to know more about who we are speaking to here. :) 

Hope these comments will help you in your studies

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.