Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
Gregory Matthews

Albert Wong

Gregory Matthews

Albert Wong is the now deceased Army veteran associated with the incident at the Yountville Veteran's Home.  The news media has  described him as a highly decorated veteran.   My understanding is that he was awarded the Good Conduct Medal and the Army Commendation Medal.  If you want to see the official meaning for those awards, you can look them up on the Internet.  I will give you my unofficial meaning:

Army Good Conduct Medal:  This is generally awarded to certain enlisted persons who did their job well and did not get into any trouble during the time period involved, which is often three (3) years but may be less.

Army Commendation Medal:  This is awarded to certain members of the military who have served in combat in a manner that was above that of the average and/or whose achievement/service meritorious.  NOTE:  It also may be awarded for service not in combat.

If I were to summarize, I would say that Albert Wong was a combat veteran who served his country at a level that was above that of the average.

However, I would not be able to say that he was a highly decorated veteran.

I would restrict such a description to those who have received either the Meritorious Service Medal, or the Legion of Merit,  (I have not decided which.) or higher.

Others would restrict such to those who have received the Silver Star, or higher.

You can look all of them up, and more if you wish.

Jeannieb43

Isn't it sad that so many of the best and most highly decorated U.S. soldiers turn out to be so confused after they return home that they don't know any other way of expressing themselves except through gunfire.   So sad.

Gregory Matthews

NOTE:   It is now coming out that it was determined that Wong need more intensive treatment for his PTSD than he was being provided in Yountville and efforts were being made to place him is such a program.