Kingdom of Adventistan
Narcah

2 Readings for Incoming Members?

Narcah

Is it common to only have 1 reading for incoming members transfering from another congregation?  I’m originally from CA and we always did 2 readings (1st reading 1 week, 2nd reading and vote next Sabbath.)

At my home church in TN now, they did the reading and voting on incoming transfer all on the 1st Sabbath. Just wondering if that is normal?

Henryvern

Of course the practice of two readings is to avoid objections from the floor during a Sabbath service.  After first reading any objections can be addressed privately.  The concern that I have with my church is the practice of having the church board vote on incoming/outgoing transfer requests before presenting to the church.  Church membership in the Seventh-day Adventist is approved by the local church body.  Not the conference or the church board.  All requests for church membership should be voted on by church body even if the board doesn't like it.

Narcah

Has anyone ever actually seen a congregation not approve a transfer either in or out?

rudywoofs (Pam)
4 hours ago, Narcah said:

Has anyone ever actually seen a congregation not approve a transfer either in or out?

I saw that happen.  A lady whose husband had died was a dedicated member of our church, along with her children.  A year or so after the husband's death, she began to date a fellow who was in the process of getting a divorce.  After the fellow's divorce was final, she and he were married.  They all moved to another State (his work took him there), and the lady sent in for a membership transfer.  A number of the church members refused to honor the request, and the motion to grant the transfer was rejected.  The transfer rejection caused many issues for the lady.... including a "requirement" to get re-baptized in order to join the church again.  It was a mess.

The lady was one of my Mom's best friends, and her oldest son was my brother's best friend.  To my non-SDA father, the whole thing did nothing but make the Adventist church appear to be composed of self-righteous bigots who had nothing better to do than to make life miserable for a very sweet lady.

Gregory Matthews

Yes.  I have seen the following happen, and more than once:

*  The pastor, congregation, Church Board, refuses to vote a transfer out.

NOTE:  I am aware of denominational policy and the violation of such that is represented by some of what I have said above.  I am simply saying that regardless, I have seen it happen.

*  Discussion with the pastor, congregation, Church Board takes place and the decision not to vote a transfer remains.

*  The above is informed that on a specific Sabbath that congregation requesting a transfer in will vote to receive the individual on Profession of Faith, if the other congregation by that time has not voted to transfer out.

*  On the specific Sabbath, the congregation votes to transfer in if such a recommendation has been received and to accept on Profession of Faith if it has not been received and I have personally seen both happen.

Folks, we have denominational policy.  Under policy, congregations have the authority to determine membership status of individuals.   Sometimes things go wrong and  innovative ways have to be put in place in order to correct injustice.

On a related, but slightly different note, I know of one pastor who would only bring a vote to transfer out to the congregation once a year.  A person who missed that one-time vote would have to wait until the one time vote in the next year.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.