Kingdom of Adventistan
Gregory Matthews

Adventist Idols

Gregory Matthews

The following article suggest that Adventists may have idols that are worshiped, and a few are named in the article--Doug Bachelor, Barry Black & Mark Finley are included in the examples.

See:

https://spectrummagazine.org/article/2018/07/05/adventist-idol

The Wanderer
2 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

The following article suggest that Adventists may have idols that are worshiped, and a few are named in the article--Doug Bachelor, Barry Black & Mark Finley are included in the examples.

See:

https://spectrummagazine.org/article/2018/07/05/adventist-idol

I would agree with much of this article; certainly I have learned something new from it:

Recently, Doug Bachelor was taken to task about his statements on eternal subordination of Christ to the Father. This theological question has been studied and settled many times over. To put it bluntly, Batchelor is wrong. The fact that a beloved church darling was at theological odds with the established doctrine of the church caused a meltdown in some circles of Adventism

This is me asking respectfully; but what are they talking about here in the quote I enclosed from the article? I had never heard of this "incidcent" and was wondering if you know more? It is true, the "personality cult" is alive and well, in most churches.  I guess I am really out of touch, I had no idea about this thing with Doug.B

Gregory Matthews

Doug Bachelor is a powerful figure in the life of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

If I had to chose between getting into a discussion with Doug Bachelor and President Ted Wilson, I would probably chose President  Ted.

I have generally taken, to some extent, a position that I will not "bad mouth" others.

As to your question about Doug Bachelor, I will simply leave it alone.

The Wanderer
42 minutes ago, Gregory Matthews said:

Doug Bachelor is a powerful figure in the life of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

If I had to chose between getting into a discussion with Doug Bachelor and President Ted Wilson, I would probably chose President  Ted.

I have generally taken, to some extent, a position that I will not "bad mouth" others.

As to your question about Doug Bachelor, I will simply leave it alone.

Thats no problem I was just wondering what he taught/teaches about that one specific thing. I had never heard of him teaching that, and certainly, I was not intending to "badmouth" anyone either. I am just asking if anyone knows details of this "teaching."

rudywoofs (Pam)

the comments following the article are more interesting than the article itself....

Anyway, I guess the average SDA doesn't remember that it isn't just the statue in Nebuchadnezzar's dream that had feet of clay.... makes it hard to find the right pair of shoes...

The Wanderer
On 7/8/2018 at 11:35 AM, Gregory Matthews said:

I actually dont have any major problems regarding pastor Doug, I have heard his testimony years ago; and it is a powerful testimony indeed. In fact, when I learned that he had lost his son, I sent him a letter to extend my sympathy and prayers to him I don't have a way of knowing if he ever read it, but I still have the letter.

There is a quote in the article that id like to comment on if I may:

Yet this is a pitfall Adventists often fall into. On a Sabbath where the sermon is being given by Barry Black or Wintley Phipps, attendance will swell to a far larger number than the local pastor may usually attract. Having Mark Finley or Carlton Byrd headline an evangelistic series is significantly more desirable than having the conference evangelist, even if the biblical messages are the same.

I have to wonder about this author of said article who has a MDiv, PhD is a clinical psychologist and ordained minister of the gospel. Thats a lot of education to come up with such a primitive comment; and rather than question anything about Doug, I would seriously question this author's ability to properly interpret what they are writing. In fact, its not really true. I have personally attended some functions where an allegedly "famous" Adventist was speaking and attendance was very low. I think this author's disparagement of Adventists in general, through this type of commentary is what should be questioned. So Pastor Doug didn't get something quite as "correct" as said author thinks it should be?  To talk like this about it turns it into a completely different subject. IMHO

phkrause
22 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

I actually dont have any major problems regarding pastor Doug, I have heard his testimony years ago; and it is a powerful testimony indeed. In fact, when I learned that he had lost his son, I sent him a letter to extend my sympathy and prayers to him I don't have a way of knowing if he ever read it, but I still have the letter.

There is a quote in the article that id like to comment on if I may:

I have to wonder about this author of said article who has a MDiv, PhD is a clinical psychologist and ordained minister of the gospel. Thats a lot of education to come up with such a primitive comment; and rather than question anything about Doug, I would seriously question this author's ability to properly interpret what they are writing. In fact, its not really true. I have personally attended some functions where an allegedly "famous" Adventist was speaking and attendance was very low. I think this author's disparagement of Adventists in general, through this type of commentary is what should be questioned. So Pastor Doug didn't get something quite as "correct" as said author thinks it should be?  To talk like this about it turns it into a completely different subject. IMHO

Jealousy comes to my mind!!

22 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

So Pastor Doug didn't get something quite as "correct" as said author thinks it should be?

I guess he's not allowed his opinion on whatever subject he talks about!!

JoeMo

I read the article; and I got more out of the comments.  I think implying that Doug is an idol is quite a stretch.  It's a little less of a stretch to call EGW and idol; but it's still a stretch. I prefer Isaiah over EGW; but Isaiah is not my "idol".  Just because I would prefer to see one preacher over another doesn't make the preferred preacher an idol any more than my preference to see the Foo Fighters over the Beach Boys makes the Foo Fighters my idol.

An idol is something we worship - not something we simply enjoy or appreciate.  I don't accept much of what Amazing Facts publishes; but I respect Doug as a sincere and decent human being.

I must agree that giving EGW's writings equal footing with or precedence over the Bible is cultish and "wrong".

GayatfootofCross
On 7/12/2018 at 11:08 AM, JoeMo said:

I read the article; and I got more out of the comments.  I think implying that Doug is an idol is quite a stretch.  It's a little less of a stretch to call EGW and idol; but it's still a stretch. I prefer Isaiah over EGW; but Isaiah is not my "idol".  Just because I would prefer to see one preacher over another doesn't make the preferred preacher an idol any more than my preference to see the Foo Fighters over the Beach Boys makes the Foo Fighters my idol.

An idol is something we worship - not something we simply enjoy or appreciate.  I don't accept much of what Amazing Facts publishes; but I respect Doug as a sincere and decent human being.

I must agree that giving EGW's writings equal footing with or precedence over the Bible is cultish and "wrong".

Perhaps there is a better term or word for  what I seeing described.

Sometimes people who are celebrated in circles are put on a pedestal and admiration goes through the roof and possibly takes center stage in how look upon everything.

Speaking of Idol Worship...

Once upon a time..I myself would have been all giggly if I had met Dr. Ben Carson and would have fainted like he was The Beatles or something.

On 7/12/2018 at 9:56 AM, phkrause said:

I guess he's not allowed his opinion on whatever subject he talks about!!

Well only if he was in a CULT or SOMETHING scary.

On 7/8/2018 at 11:19 AM, The Wanderer said:

Thats no problem I was just wondering what he taught/teaches about that one specific thing. I had never heard of him teaching that, and certainly, I was not intending to "badmouth" anyone either. I am just asking if anyone knows details of this "teaching."

I am curious too.

On 7/8/2018 at 10:35 AM, Gregory Matthews said:

I found a wonderful guy on utube affirming your thoughts. :)

6 and a half minutes long.