Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
james423

Lesson 2 - Causes of Disunity

james423

Overall Question:  What are the causes of disunity in this world?

Memory Text: Proverbs 9:10 Good News Translation To be wise you must first have reverence for the Lord. If you know the Holy One, you have understanding.

Proverbs 9:10 COMMENTARY FAMILY BIBLE NOTES The foundation of all true wisdom is the knowledge and fear of God.  A wicked heart separates man from God, and keeps them in darkness and self-delusion.

Sunday – “Return, O Backsliding Children”

Deuteronomy 28:1-14 New International Version If you fully obey the Lord your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations on earth. 2 All these blessings will come on you and accompany you if you obey the Lord your God:  3 You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country. 4 The fruit of your womb will be blessed, and the crops of your land and the young of your livestock—the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks. 5 Your basket and your kneading trough will be blessed. 6 You will be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out. 7 The Lord will grant that the enemies who rise up against you will be defeated before you. They will come at you from one direction but flee from you in seven. 8 The Lord will send a blessing on your barns and on everything you put your hand to. The Lord your God will bless you in the land he is giving you. 9 The Lord will establish you as his holy people, as he promised you on oath, if you keep the commands of the Lord your God and walk in obedience to him. 10 Then all the peoples on earth will see that you are called by the name of the Lord, and they will fear you. 11 The Lord will grant you abundant prosperity—in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your ground—in the land he swore to your ancestors to give you. 12 The Lord will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none. 13 The Lord will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the Lord your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom. 14 Do not turn aside from any of the commands I give you today, to the right or to the left, following other gods and serving them.

Jeremiah 3:14-18 New American Standard Bible ‘Return, O faithless sons,’ declares the Lord; ‘For I am a master to you, And I will take you one from a city and two from a family, And I will bring you to Zion.’ 15 “Then I will give you shepherds after My own heart, who will feed you on knowledge and understanding. 16 It shall be in those days when you are multiplied and increased in the land,” declares the Lord, “they will no longer say, ‘The ark of the covenant of the Lord.’ And it will not come to mind, nor will they remember it, nor will they miss it, nor will it be made again. 17 At that time they will call Jerusalem ‘The Throne of the Lord,’ and all the nations will be gathered to it, to Jerusalem, for the name of the Lord; nor will they walk anymore after the stubbornness of their evil heart. 18 In those days the house of Judah will walk with the house of Israel, and they will come together from the land of the north to the land that I gave your fathers as an inheritance.

Monday – “Right in His Own Eyes”

Judges 17:6 New Living Translation In those days Israel had no king; all the people did whatever seemed right in their own eyes.

Judges 17:6 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Anarchy prevailed. Might was right, and the whims of men guided them rather than the instruction of the laws of God. The Israelites had been warned that they should not be ruled by such a philosophy of life (Deut. 12:8).

Judges 21:25 New Century Version In those days Israel did not have a king. All the people did whatever seemed right in their own eyes.

Judges 2:11-13 Easy-to-Read Version 11 So the Israelites did something very evil before the Lord. They began serving the false god Baal. 12 It was the Lord, the God their ancestors worshiped, who had brought the Israelites out of Egypt. But they stopped following him and began to worship the false gods of the people living around them. This made the Lord angry. 13 The Israelites stopped following the Lord and began worshiping Baal and Ashtoreth.

Judges 3:5-7 Common English Bible 5 So the Israelites lived among the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites. 6 But the Israelites intermarried with them and served their gods. 7 The Israelites did things that the Lord saw as evil, and they forgot the Lord their God. They served the Baals and the Asherahs.

Tuesday – The Division of the Hebrew Nation

1 Kings 12:1-16 Contemporary English Version Rehoboam went to Shechem where everyone was waiting to crown him king. 2 Jeroboam son of Nebat heard what was happening, and he stayed in Egypt, where he had gone to hide from Solomon. 3 But the people from the northern tribes of Israel sent for him. Then together they went to Rehoboam and said, 4 “Your father Solomon forced us to work very hard. But if you make our work easier, we will serve you and do whatever you ask.” 5 “Give me three days to think about it,” Rehoboam replied, “then come back for my answer.” So the people left. 6 Rehoboam went to some leaders who had been his father’s senior officials, and he asked them, “What should I tell these people?” 7 They answered, “If you want them to serve and obey you, then you should do what they ask today. Tell them you will make their work easier.” 8 But Rehoboam refused their advice and went to the younger men who had grown up with him and were now his officials. 9 He asked, “What do you think I should say to these people who asked me to make their work easier?” 10 His younger advisors said: Here’s what we think you should say to them: “Compared to me, my father was weak. 11 He made you work hard, but I’ll make you work even harder. He punished you with whips, but I’ll use whips with pieces of sharp metal!” 12 Three days later, Jeroboam and the others came back. 13 Rehoboam ignored the advice of the older advisors. 14 He spoke bluntly and told them exactly what his own advisors had suggested: “My father made you work hard, but I’ll make you work even harder. He punished you with whips, but I’ll use whips with pieces of sharp metal!” 15-19 When the people realized that Rehoboam would not listen to them, they shouted: “We don’t have to be loyal to David’s family. We can do what we want. Come on, people of Israel, let’s go home! Rehoboam can rule his own people.” Adoniram was in charge of the forced labor, and Rehoboam sent him to talk to the people. But they stoned him to death. Then Rehoboam ran to his chariot and hurried back to Jerusalem. So the people from the northern tribes of Israel went home, leaving Rehoboam to rule only the people from the towns in Judah. Ever since that day, the people of Israel have opposed David’s family in Judah. All of this happened just as the Lord’s prophet Ahijah had told Jeroboam.

Proverbs 4:1-9 God’s Word Translation Sons, listen to your father’s discipline, and pay attention in order to gain understanding. 2 After all, I have taught you well. Do not abandon my teachings. 3 When I was a boy learning from my father, when I was a tender and only child of my mother, 4 they used to teach me and say to me, “Cling to my words wholeheartedly.           Obey my commands so that you may live. 5 Acquire wisdom.             Acquire understanding. Do not forget. Do not turn away from the words that I have spoken. 6 Do not abandon wisdom, and it will watch over you.           Love wisdom, and it will protect you. 7 The beginning of wisdom is to acquire wisdom. Acquire understanding with all that you have.8                 Cherish wisdom. It will raise you up. It will bring you honor when you embrace it. 9 It will give you a graceful garland for your head. It will hand you a beautiful crown.”

Proverbs 9:10 International Standard Version The fear of the Lord is where wisdom begins, and knowing holiness demonstrates understanding.

James 1:5 English Standard Version If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.

Wednesday – Schism in Corinth

1 Corinthians 1:10-17 The Living Bible 10 But, dear brothers, I beg you in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ to stop arguing among yourselves. Let there be real harmony so that there won’t be splits in the church. I plead with you to be of one mind, united in thought and purpose. 11 For some of those who live at Chloe’s house have told me of your arguments and quarrels, dear brothers. 12 Some of you are saying, “I am a follower of Paul”; and others say that they are for Apollos or for Peter; and some that they alone are the true followers of Christ. 13 And so, in effect, you have broken Christ into many pieces. But did I, Paul, die for your sins? Were any of you baptized in my name? 14 I am so thankful now that I didn’t baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius. 15 For now no one can think that I have been trying to start something new, beginning a “Church of Paul.” 16 Oh, yes, and I baptized the family of Stephanas. I don’t remember ever baptizing anyone else. 17 For Christ didn’t send me to baptize, but to preach the Gospel; and even my preaching sounds poor, for I do not fill my sermons with profound words and high-sounding ideas, for fear of diluting the mighty power there is in the simple message of the cross of Christ.

Thursday – “Wolves Will Come”

Acts 20:25-31 New Living Translation 25 “And now I know that none of you to whom I have preached the Kingdom will ever see me again. 26 I declare today that I have been faithful. If anyone suffers eternal death, it’s not my fault, 27 for I didn’t shrink from declaring all that God wants you to know. 28 “So guard yourselves and God’s people. Feed and shepherd God’s flock—his church, purchased with his own blood—over which the Holy Spirit has appointed you as leaders. 29 I know that false teachers, like vicious wolves, will come in among you after I leave, not sparing the flock. 30 Even some men from your own group will rise up and distort the truth in order to draw a following. 31 Watch out! Remember the three years I was with you—my constant watch and care over you night and day, and my many tears for you.

2 Timothy 2:14-19 New Life Version 14 Tell your people about these things again. In the name of the Lord, tell them not to argue over words that are not important. It helps no one and it hurts the faith of those who are listening. 15 Do your best to know that God is pleased with you. Be as a workman who has nothing to be ashamed of. Teach the words of truth in the right way. 16 Do not listen to foolish talk about things that mean nothing. It only leads people farther away from God. 17 Such talk will spread like cancer. Hymenaeus and Philetus are like this. 18 They have turned from the truth. They say the dead have already been raised. The faith of some people has been made weak because of such foolish talk. 19 But the truth of God cannot be changed. It says, “The Lord knows those who are His.” And, “Everyone who says he is a Christian must turn away from sin!”

2 Timothy 3:12-17 New English Translation 12 Now in fact all who want to live godly lives in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. 13 But evil people and charlatans will go from bad to worse, deceiving others and being deceived themselves. 14 You, however, must continue in the things you have learned and are confident about. You know who taught you 15 and how from infancy you have known the holy writings, which are able to give you wisdom for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 Every scripture is inspired by God and useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the person dedicated to God may be capable and equipped for every good work.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

RichardRuhling

The same night that Christ sweat blood, He prayed for our unity, John 17. Pioneers burned midnight oil to seek unity. To arrive at it, we should be willing to hear the other person's view.

"Those who cannot consider the evidences of a position that differs from theirs are not fit to teach in any department of God's cause." 1SM 411. But church leaders must not compel others---

"To define and punish heresy is one of the most deeply rooted of papal errors." Great Controversy 292.

Unity comes from mutual acceptance of the message for our time. No where in the Bible does it suggest women's ordination as a message for our time. I'm not saying it is good or bad--it just does not qualify as a message nor should it divide the church. 

When pioneers gave the 1st angel's message of judgment & "the Bridegroom comes," neither message fit as they expected, and Christ (Angel in Rev 10:10,11) said, You must prophesy again." Those messages would fit now and if well-understood, would ready us for what is impending.

God executed JUDGMENT on Egypt and took Israel to a covenant marriage (Jer 3:14). Paul included the Exodus in "all those things happened to them for examples....ends of the world." 1Cor 10:1,11. 

Egypt killed babies but the US has aborted 60 million and enslaved most people in alcohol, tobacco, drugs (leading cause of death, and we call it 'healthcare') God is going to "execute judgment" Ex 12:12 on the US and the 1st angel's message needs to come into focus--SUNDAY IS NOT NEXT (3rd angel's message) If people read EW's statement in CW 27, they would understand this.

We should unify on the message(s) for our time--a time of impending judgment. The Bridegroom's coming is NOT about His visible coming, but as God came to Egypt & took Israel to a covenant by which they became His kingdom and Bride, Exod 19:5,6; Jer 3:14. 

TRINITY

Mankind is naturally in disunity with God. Church cannot unify us with God. Our choice to allow God's (Jesus') Holy Spirit to unify us with Him in our thoughts and feelings is the only way for us to be unified with God. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

james423

Quite true, but the church can point each of us in the right direction.

whbae

I do not agree with the idea that mankind is naturally disunity with God.  We human being are seeking superior power to worship by nature, it could be any kind of god or animal or some other creatures.  A lot of people are misguided by their custom or lack of knowledge of the true God.