Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
james423

Lesson 10 - Unity and Broken Relationships

james423

Overall Question:  What should Christian unity do for broken relationships?

Memory Text: Romans 5:10 New Century Version While we were God’s enemies, he made us his friends through the death of his Son. Surely, now that we are his friends, he will save us through his Son’s life.

Sunday – Restored Friendship

Colossians 4:10-11 New Living Translation 10 Aristarchus, who is in prison with me, sends you his greetings, and so does Mark, Barnabas’s cousin. As you were instructed before, make Mark welcome if he comes your way. 11 Jesus (the one we call Justus) also sends his greetings. These are the only Jewish believers among my co-workers; they are working with me here for the Kingdom of God. And what a comfort they have been!

2 Timothy 4:11 Modern English Version Only Luke is with me. Get Mark, and bring him with you, for he is profitable to me for the ministry.

2 Timothy 4:11 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES If he suspected that there was on the part of Mark any lingering apprehension that the great apostle was not entirely reconciled to him, or retained a recollection of what had formerly occurred, nothing would be more natural than that at this trying time of his life, Paul should summon him to his side, and express towards him the kindest emotions. It would soothe any lingering irritation in the mind of Mark to receive such a message.

Monday – From Slave to Son

Philemon 1-25 Easy-to-Read Version 1 Greetings from Paul, a prisoner for Jesus Christ, and from Timothy, our brother. To Philemon, our dear friend and worker with us. 2 Also to our sister Apphia, to Archippus, who serves with us in the Lord’s army, and to the church that meets in your home. 3 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 4 I remember you in my prayers. And I always thank my God for you. 5 I thank God because I hear about the love you have for all of God’s holy people and the faith you have in the Lord Jesus. 6 I pray that the faith you share will make you understand every blessing we have in Christ. 7 My brother, you have shown love to God’s people, and your help has greatly encouraged them. What a great joy and encouragement that has been to me. 8 There is something that you should do. And because of the authority I have in Christ, I feel free to command you to do it. 9 But I am not commanding you; I am asking you to do it out of love. I, Paul, am an old man now, and I am a prisoner for Christ Jesus. 10 I am asking you for my son Onesimus. He became my son while I was in prison. 11 In the past he was useless to you. But now he has become useful for both you and me. 12 I am sending him back to you, but it’s as hard as losing part of myself. 13 I would like to keep him here to help me while I am still in prison for telling the Good News. By helping me here, he would be representing you. 14 But I did not want to do anything without asking you first. Then whatever you do for me will be what you want to do, not what I forced you to do. 15 Onesimus was separated from you for a short time. Maybe that happened so that you could have him back forever, 16 not to be just a slave, but better than a slave, to be a dear brother. That’s what he is to me. And I know he will mean even more to you, both as your slave and as one who shares your faith in the Lord. 17 If you accept me as your friend, then accept Onesimus back. Welcome him like you would welcome me. 18 If he has done any wrong to you or owes you anything, charge that to me. 19 I, Paul, am writing this in my own handwriting: I will pay back anything Onesimus owes. And I will say nothing about what you owe me for your own life. 20 So, my brother, as a follower of the Lord please do this favor for me. It would be such a great encouragement to me as your brother in Christ. 21 I write this letter knowing that you will do what I ask, and even more than I ask. 22 Also, please prepare a room for me. I hope that God will answer your prayers and that I will be able to come and see you. 23 Epaphras is a prisoner with me for Christ Jesus. He sends you his greetings. 24 Also Mark, Aristarchus, Demas, and Luke send their greetings. They are workers together with me. 25 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.

Philemon 11 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Onesimus was at one time unprofitable to Philemon, but is now returning to his master a new and different man. Philemon, as well as Onesimus, will profit by a gracious reception, because Philemon’s former slave will now render service vastly different from former days.

Tuesday – Spiritual Gifts for Unity

1 Corinthians 3:5-11 Contemporary English Version 5 Apollos and I are merely servants who helped you to have faith. It was the Lord who made it all happen. 6 I planted the seeds, Apollos watered them, but God made them sprout and grow. 7 What matters isn’t those who planted or watered, but God who made the plants grow. 8 The one who plants is just as important as the one who waters. And each one will be paid for what they do. 9 Apollos and I work together for God, and you are God’s garden and God’s building.10 God was kind and let me become an expert builder. I laid a foundation on which others have built. But we must each be careful how we build, 11 because Christ is the only foundation.

1 Corinthians 3:8 COMMENTARY FAMILY BIBLE NOTES the common Master of all will apportion to each his just reward, so that invidious comparisons between the different servants of Christ on the part of their fellow-Christians are entirely out of place. Ministers of Christ who are engaged in his work, are not laboring to attach men to themselves or to any human leader, but to Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 12:1-11 God’s Word Translation Brothers and sisters, I don’t want there to be any misunderstanding concerning spiritual gifts. 2 You know that when you were unbelievers, every time you were led to worship false gods you were worshiping gods who couldn’t even speak. 3 So I want you to know that no one speaking by God’s Spirit says, “Jesus is cursed.” No one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit. 4 There are different spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit gives them. 5 There are different ways of serving, and yet the same Lord is served. 6 There are different types of work to do, but the same God produces every gift in every person. 7 The evidence of the Spirit’s presence is given to each person for the common good of everyone. 8 The Spirit gives one person the ability to speak with wisdom. The same Spirit gives another person the ability to speak with knowledge. 9 To another person the same Spirit gives courageous faith. To another person the same Spirit gives the ability to heal. 10 Another can work miracles. Another can speak what God has revealed. Another can tell the difference between spirits. Another can speak in different kinds of languages. Another can interpret languages. 11 There is only one Spirit who does all these things by giving what God wants to give to each person.

2 Corinthians 10:12-15 New Living Translation 12 Oh, don’t worry; we wouldn’t dare say that we are as wonderful as these other men who tell you how important they are! But they are only comparing themselves with each other, using themselves as the standard of measurement. How ignorant! 13 We will not boast about things done outside our area of authority. We will boast only about what has happened within the boundaries of the work God has given us, which includes our working with you. 14 We are not reaching beyond these boundaries when we claim authority over you, as if we had never visited you. For we were the first to travel all the way to Corinth with the Good News of Christ. 15 Nor do we boast and claim credit for the work someone else has done. Instead, we hope that your faith will grow so that the boundaries of our work among you will be extended.

Wednesday – Forgiveness

Romans 5:8-11 Good News Translation 8 But God has shown us how much he loves us—it was while we were still sinners that Christ died for us! 9 By his blood we are now put right with God; how much more, then, will we be saved by him from God's anger! 10 We were God's enemies, but he made us his friends through the death of his Son. Now that we are God's friends, how much more will we be saved by Christ's life! 11 But that is not all; we rejoice because of what God has done through our Lord Jesus Christ, who has now made us God's friends.

Romans 5:11 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY The Christian rejoices in the beneficence of God and in the fact that the universe is under God’s administration. The sinner is opposed to God and finds no pleasure in Him. He fears or hates Him. One evidence that we are truly converted and reconciled to God is that we rejoice in Him and find pleasure in the contemplation of His perfection as they are revealed in Scripture.

Luke 23:31-34 The Amplified Bible 31 For if they do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?” 32 Two others also, who were criminals, were being led away to be executed with Him. 33 When they came to the place called The Skull, there they crucified Him and the criminals, one on the right and one on the left. 34 And Jesus was saying, “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.” And they cast lots, dividing His clothes among themselves.

Luke 23:31 Amplified Bible note A proverb meaning if the innocent has to suffer what will happen to the guilty.

2 Corinthians 5:20-21 New Life Version 20 We are Christ’s missionaries. God is speaking to you through us. We are speaking for Christ and we ask you from our hearts to turn from your sins and come to God. 21 Christ never sinned but God put our sin on Him. Then we are made right with God because of what Christ has done for us.

Ephesians 4:26 New Century Version When you are angry, do not sin, and be sure to stop being angry before the end of the day.

Thursday – Restoration and Unity

Matthew 18:15-17 The Message “If a fellow believer hurts you, go and tell him—work it out between the two of you. If he listens, you’ve made a friend. If he won’t listen, take one or two others along so that the presence of witnesses will keep things honest, and try again. If he still won’t listen, tell the church. If he won’t listen to the church, you’ll have to start over from scratch, confront him with the need for repentance, and offer again God’s forgiving love.

Matthew 18:15-20 COMMENTARY BY MATTHEW HENRY If a professed Christian is wronged by another, he ought not to complain of it to others, as is often done merely upon report, but to go to the offender privately, state the matter kindly, and show him his conduct.

Friday – Further Thought

Colossians 3:12-17 Worldwide English (New Testament) 12 You are chosen by God. He loves you and has made you holy. So then, care for one another. Be kind. Do not be proud. Be humble. Be patient. 13 Be patient with one another. If any one has a complaint against another, forgive that one. Christ forgave you. So you should forgive each other. 14 Beside all these, you must have love. This joins everything together as it should be.15 Hold on to the peace of God which is in your hearts. You were called to have peace because you are all like one body. Be thankful.

16 Let your hearts be filled with the word of Christ. Be very wise when you teach people and help them to understand what is right and wrong. Sing with music. Sing praises and Christian songs. Sing to the Lord with praise in your hearts. 17 Whatever you say, or whatever you do, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus. Give thanks to God the Father through Jesus.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.