Kingdom of Adventistan
Gregory Matthews

SDA Interfaith Marriage

Gregory Matthews

See:

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50564946/couples-explain-why-interfaith-marriage-works/

This article comments on the marriage between a  SDA  and a Buddhist.

It should be noted that when the marriage began, both were members of the Buddhist faith.  At a later time, the woman became a SDA.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

The Wanderer

- from the article

Though they are of different faiths, the couple has never argued over which religion is correct.

“Having a different religion doesn’t mean that a couple cannot be happy. Happiness doesn’t depend on religious beliefs, it depends on love and forgiveness,” Mr Samoeun says. “If a couple can learn to love and forgive, that couple will last forever.”

this is very true, well said

B/W Photodude

It is interesting that the couple were both Buddhist when they married but one converted and became a Christian. The article kept stressing that a Buddhist could marry whoever they wished. However, the Christian wife is doing just what Paul advocated in the New Testament by staying with her husband. It is almost a no brainer kind of situation.

The story may have been more challenging if they were of different religions prior to marriage.

Another situation that does not often get discussed are those who are divorced and unBiblically remarried and then become Christians.  What then of their marriage?

What if they are both "Christians" when they do the deed? Are they still married albeit it unBiblically? Is the "adultery" a sin of the moment or do they continue to live in sin and should divorce?

Sin did bad things to marriage, like it did to so many other things.

The Wanderer
1 hour ago, B/W Photodude said:

The story may have been more challenging if they were of different religions prior to marriage.

More challenging to who though?

Keeping in mind the fundamental belief on UNITY, how do we define "unequally yoked?"

NOTE: that is a loaded question. :)

phkrause
17 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

how do we define "unequally yoked

I've always thought that would be people of two different denominations and/or a unbeliever (gentle, as the Hebrews/Jews used to say)

LifeHiscost

Would not this always apply?

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 [a]But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. Matthew 5

God is Love!~Jesus saves!  :D

LifeHiscost
10 minutes ago, LifeHiscost said:

Would not this always apply?

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 [a]But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. Matthew 5

God is Love!~Jesus saves!  :D

The Wanderer
On 1/4/2019 at 12:40 PM, phkrause said:

I've always thought that would be people of two different denominations and/or a unbeliever (gentle, as the Hebrews/Jews used to say)

I would suggest that "unequally yoked" has nothing to do with being of the same denomination or specific doctrinal tenets.

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? (2 Cor 6:14, KJV)

Do not try to work together as equals with unbelievers, for it cannot be done. How can right and wrong be partners? How can light and darkness live together? (2 Cor 6:14, GNB)

For purposes of illustration, I am enclosing a brief quote from EGW writings. The reason being is because I think it illustrates the general idea that "the church" appears to go with for the most part.

The town of Zorah being near the country of the Philistines, Samson came to mingle with them on friendly terms. Thus in his youth intimacies sprang up, the influence of which darkened his whole life. A young woman dwelling in the Philistine town of Timnath engaged Samson's affections, and he determined to make her his wife. To his God-fearing parents, who endeavored to dissuade him from his purpose, his only answer was, "She pleaseth me well." The parents at last yielded to his wishes, and the marriage took place.  {CC 131.2}

Just as he was entering upon manhood, the time when he must execute his divine mission--the time above all others when he should have been true to God--Samson connected himself with the enemies of Israel. He did not ask whether he could better glorify God when united with the object of his choice, or whether he was placing himself in a position where he could not fulfill the purpose to be accomplished by his life. To all who seek first to honor Him, God has promised wisdom; but there is no promise to those who are bent upon self-pleasing. . . .  {CC 131.3}

Christianity ought to have a controlling influence upon the marriage relation, but it is too often the case that the motives which lead to this union are not in keeping with Christian principles. Satan is constantly seeking to strengthen his power over the people of God by inducing them to enter into alliance with his subjects; and in order to accomplish this he endeavors to arouse unsanctified passions in the heart. . . .  {CC 131.4}

After considering the Bible's principles regarding marriage; is it really supposed to mean "from the same church" or having "the same doctrinal beliefs? I believe that if we can uncover more from the Bible accounting of Samson, that it might shed some light on what we have long-thought to be dark. Without further references, for this post, I could sum up my understanding of "unequally yoked" as having very little to do with both parties being clones of one anothers beliefs and/or practices thereof.

pierrepaul

When two people agree on everything, it means only one of them is doing all the thinking. I married a SdA and there are tons of stuff on which we do not agree. The convenience of being of the same denomination is not sharing identical opinions, but rather sharing the common cultural trappings of Adventism - attending church as a family rather than each spouse going to his/her own church or none at all, some similarities in diet, etc.