Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
james423

Lesson 2 - Among the Lampstands

james423

Overall Question:   What is some further information about John's Book of Revelation that we need to keep in mind?

Memory Text: Revelation 2:7 Common English Bible If you can hear, listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches. I will allow those who emerge victorious to eat from the tree of life, which is in God’s paradise.

Sunday – On Patmos

Revelation 1:9 Good News Translation I am John, your brother, and as a follower of Jesus I am your partner in patiently enduring the suffering that comes to those who belong to his Kingdom. I was put on the island of Patmos because I had proclaimed God's word and the truth that Jesus revealed.

Daniel 3:16-23 Contemporary English Version 16 The three men replied, “Your Majesty, we don’t need to defend ourselves. 17 The God we worship can save us from you and your flaming furnace. 18 But even if he doesn’t, we still won’t worship your gods and the gold statue you have set up.” 19 Nebuchadnezzar’s face twisted with anger at the three men. And he ordered the furnace to be heated seven times hotter than usual. 20 Next, he commanded some of his strongest soldiers to tie up the men and throw them into the flaming furnace. 21-23 The king wanted it done at that very moment. So the soldiers tied up Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and threw them into the flaming furnace with all of their clothes still on, including their turbans. The fire was so hot that flames leaped out and killed the soldiers.

Acts 7:54-60 Easy-to-Read Version 54 When those in the council meeting heard this, they became very angry. They were so mad they were grinding their teeth at him. 55 But Stephen was full of the Holy Spirit. He looked up into heaven and saw the glory of God. And he saw Jesus standing at God’s right side. 56 Stephen said, “Look! I see heaven open. And I see the Son of Man standing at God’s right side.” 57 Everyone there started shouting loudly, covering their ears with their hands. Together they all ran at Stephen. 58 They took him out of the city and began throwing stones at him. The men who told lies against Stephen gave their coats to a young man named Saul. 59 As they were throwing the stones at him, Stephen was praying. He said, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!” 60 He fell on his knees and shouted, “Lord, don’t blame them for this sin!” These were his last words before he died.

Monday – On the Lord’s Day

Revelation 1:10 English Standard Version I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet.

Revelation 1:10 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY although the Scripture nowhere identifies Sunday as having any religious connection with the Lord, repeatedly it recognizes that the seventh day, the Sabbath, is the Lord’s special day… Some have suggested that kuriakē hēmera, as used by John, also refers to an imperial day…It seems more likely that John chose the expression kuriakē hēmera for the Sabbath as a subtle means of proclaiming the fact that, as the emperor had special days devoted to his honor, so John’s Lord, for whose sake he now suffered, also had His day.

Exodus 31:13 Modern English Version Speak also to the children of Israel, saying, “You must surely keep My Sabbaths, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you.

Isaiah 58:13 New English Translation You must observe the Sabbath rather than doing anything you please on my holy day. You must look forward to the Sabbath and treat the Lord’s holy day with respect. You must treat it with respect by refraining from your normal activities, and by refraining from your selfish pursuits and from making business deals.

Isaiah 58:13 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY The Sabbath was never intended to be an end in itself, but rather a means by which man might become acquainted with the character and purposes of his Creator (see Ex. 20:8).

Matthew 12:8 New Living Translation For the Son of Man is Lord, even over the Sabbath!

Exodus 20:11 New Living Translation For in six days the Lord made the heavens, the earth, the sea, and everything in them; but on the seventh day he rested. That is why the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and set it apart as holy.

Deuteronomy 5:15 New Century Version Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there by his great power and strength. So the Lord your God has commanded you to rest on the Sabbath day.

Tuesday – John’s Vision of Christ on Patmos

Revelation 1:12-18 New Revised Standard Version 12 Then I turned to see whose voice it was that spoke to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, 13 and in the midst of the lampstands I saw one like the Son of Man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash across his chest. 14 His head and his hair were white as white wool, white as snow; his eyes were like a flame of fire, 15 his feet were like burnished bronze, refined as in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of many waters. 16 In his right hand he held seven stars, and from his mouth came a sharp, two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining with full force. 17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he placed his right hand on me, saying, “Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, 18 and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive forever and ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades.

Revelation 1:16 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Seven stars. This symbol represents the “angels,” or messengers, sent to the seven churches.

Daniel 10:5-6 New International Version 5 I looked up and there before me was a man dressed in linen, with a belt of fine gold from Uphaz around his waist. 6 His body was like topaz, his face like lightning, his eyes like flaming torches, his arms and legs like the gleam of burnished bronze, and his voice like the sound of a multitude.

Revelation 2:2 New American Standard Bible ‘I know your deeds and your toil and perseverance, and that you cannot tolerate evil men, and you put to the test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and you found them to be false.

Revelation 2:2 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY To each of the seven churches Christ declares, “I know thy works.” His admonition is that of One who is fully acquainted with problems of each church and who is therefore able to recommend an appropriate and effective solution.

Revelation 2:9 The Living Bible “I know how much you suffer for the Lord, and I know all about your poverty (but you have heavenly riches!). I know the slander of those opposing you, who say that they are Jews—the children of God—but they aren’t, for they support the cause of Satan.

Revelation 2:13 English Standard Version I know where you dwell, where Satan's throne is. Yet you hold fast my name, and you did not deny my faith even in the days of Antipas my faithful witness, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells.

Revelation 2:19 Lexham English Bible I know your works, and your love, and faith, and service, and patient endurance—and your last works are greater than the first.

Revelation 3:1 New Revised Standard Version And to the angel of the church in Sardis write: These are the words of him who has the seven spirits of God and the seven stars: I know your works; you have a name of being alive, but you are dead.

Revelation 3:8 New Living Translation I know all the things you do, and I have opened a door for you that no one can close. You have little strength, yet you obeyed my word and did not deny me.

Revelation 3:15 New International Reader’s Version I know what you are doing. I know you aren’t cold or hot. I wish you were either one or the other!

Wednesday – Christ’s Messages for Then and Now

Revelation 1:11 English Standard Version saying, “Write what you see in a book and send it to the seven churches, to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea.

Revelation 1:11 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY The messages to the seven churches applied to conditions in the church of John’s day. Had this not been so, these messages would have mystified and discouraged the Christians in the churches of Asia who were to read them. John would have proved to be a false prophet if the messages he addressed to his churches had not revealed the true situation in those congregations and had not been appropriate to their spiritual needs. These messages were sent at a time when the Christians of Asia were suffering great tribulation, and their firm reproof, reassuring comfort, and glorious promises must have been designed to fill those needs. Accepting and heeding these messages, the Christian churches of Asia would be prepared spiritually to understand the drama of the great controversy portrayed in the remainder of the Revelation, and to maintain a steadfast hope in the ultimate triumph of Christ and His church.

Revelation 1:19-20 Holman Christian Standard Bible 19 Therefore write what you have seen, what is, and what will take place after this. 20 The secret of the seven stars you saw in My right hand and of the seven gold lampstands is this: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.

Thursday – Message to the Church in Ephesus

Revelation 2:1-4 Easy-to-Read Version “Write this to the angel of the church in Ephesus: “Here is a message from the one who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands. 2 “I know what you do, how hard you work and never give up. I know that you don’t accept evil people. You have tested those who say they are apostles but are not. You found that they are liars. 3 You never stop trying. You have endured troubles for my name and have not given up. 4 “But I have this against you: You have left the love you had in the beginning

Revelation 2:4 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES The Saviour governs the church always on essentially the same principles; and it is no uncommon thing that when a church has lost the ardour of its first love, it is suffered more and more to decline, until "the candlestick is removed"--until either the church becomes wholly extinct, or until vital piety is wholly gone, and all that remains is the religion of forms.

Revelation 2:5-7 New Century Version 5 So remember where you were before you fell. Change your hearts and do what you did at first. If you do not change, I will come to you and will take away your lampstand from its place. 6 But there is something you do that is right: You hate what the Nicolaitans do, as much as I. 7 “Every person who has ears should listen to what the Spirit says to the churches. To those who win the victory I will give the right to eat the fruit from the tree of life, which is in the garden of God.

Revelation 1:6 COMMENTARY BY ADAM CLARKE The Nicolaitanes taught the community of wives, that adultery and fornication were things indifferent, that eating meats offered to idols was quite lawful; and mixed several pagan rites with the Christian ceremonies.

Revelation 1:7 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY the overcoming here referred to is….victory over the false apostles and teachers who had been tempting believers to eat of the tree of human knowledge.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.