Kingdom of Adventistan
JoeMo

What's Going On?

JoeMo

Having been a member here for over a decade, I have noticed recently that activity on this site has taken a dive.  Most currently active topics are related to controversial views on prophecy and church "politics".  I have frankly exhausted my desire to continually debate my reasons for my more "eccentric" views on things.  I have come to the same conclusion as King Solomon did in Ecclesiastes.  Even as I have argued stridently to support some of my opinions, they really don't matter that much in the scheme of things.  I believe this, and you believe that, and someone else believes something else; and most of the issues are not salvational issues. 

I would venture to say this is becoming more and more to be an exclusive SDA club.  Very few non-SDA's visit the site or comment on things any more.  Is there any way we can broaden or refresh the topics we discuss?  Do any of you have any ideas on new topics?  Nothing crazy; but reasonable topics of a more universal Christian concern?  Or do we want this to be an exclusive SDA club?  I'm okay either way; I just want to see this be a more evangelic outreach.  We're supposed to bring the gospel to the world; not sit in the safety of our cocoons  discussing our minutiae in the privacy of our fortresses.  I understand that many of us have ministries outside of this site. 

I apologize in advance if this is stepping on anyone's toes or offending them.  Am I off base on this?

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

The Wanderer
55 minutes ago, JoeMo said:

Is there any way we can broaden or refresh the topics we discuss?  Do any of you have any ideas on new topics?  Nothing crazy; but reasonable topics of a more universal Christian concern?  Or do we want this to be an exclusive SDA club?  I'm okay either way; I just want to see this be a more evangelic outreach.

I share some of your concerns here 4 sure. I have been "accused" of being only interested in promulgating Adventist church stuff; and granted; I do some of that. But the fact remains I have not been in a Church for about 5 years; except for a couple of Catholic Masses I had to attend for family-related events. I can only speak for myself on this, of course, but the reason I post what i do is simply because its how I currently understand things, and yes, a lot of it is "Adventist" in nature; but it is honestly because I am saying it the way I see it. I think everyone here does that, and its not "wrong" for anyone to do.

I like the fact that you are examining your personal role as a witness for Christ online, and trying to find better ways of doing so. thats also a good thing. I think of the verse which says "examine YOURSELVES to see if you are in the faith," and admitting there's a problem could be a good first step in that direction?

As far as I know, we are all free to start a topic or topics that would be more "evangelistic" in nature. Sometimes, to help me do that; I have found it to be a good idea to enable notifications for ONLY the subjects I feel I can contribute to in a valuable way that would help someone in that general direction.

The Wanderer
1 hour ago, JoeMo said:

We're supposed to bring the gospel to the world; not sit in the safety of our cocoons  discussing our minutiae in the privacy of our fortresses.  I understand that many of us have ministries outside of this site. 

I apologize in advance if this is stepping on anyone's toes or offending them.  Am I off base on this

well; you should not apologize until you do something wrong.

What you said re having ministries outside this site made me think that it might be a good idea for us to share with forum members what we are doing for and with Christ; what is He doing in and through us or through those we know off line? (see 1 John 1:1-3) Maybe a thread on personal testimonies would be a good idea? The Bible is filled with tons of them; and if we take some of those, plus add our own testimonies to same; it might have the desired effect, re your OP?

There are actually a lot of people from many different countries that monitor this forum, and you'd be very surprised to know who some of them are.

rudywoofs (Pam)

it does seem rather "ho-hum" on the forum these days...

I hate to say it, but I think political correctness has gotten in the way of vibrancy and interest — and has left a sense that one needs to walk on eggshells ...

Sad.

I miss the days of Mrs. Gray, and topics that aren't gleaned exclusively from other websites.  Just IMHO.

JoeMo

I miss some of the more prolific and challenging posters that used to be active hear - People like 8thdaypriest, Woody, Thomas the Doubter, and Tom Wetmore.  I also miss the wise words of some that post only occasionally now - like Pam, and Debbym, and Gail.  I liked Wanderer's idea about posting personal testimonies. I might just start a thread along those lines.

The Wanderer
38 minutes ago, JoeMo said:

I miss some of the more prolific and challenging posters that used to be active hear - People like 8thdaypriest, Woody, Thomas the Doubter, and Tom Wetmore.  I also miss the wise words of some that post only occasionally now - like Pam, and Debbym, and Gail.  I liked Wanderer's idea about posting personal testimonies. I might just start a thread along those lines.

No body here is perfect, nor "expert" posters of any kind; especially me. And we all need a break from it at times.I do share your ideas about how the forum could be better. While it sounds scholarly to just say "be the change we want to see in others" there really is no good way to do that on a forum. Everything will be critisized by someone, at some point in time. If you take a look at some of the topics with very high numbers of viewers, you will see there are almost no people clicking on the like button for some of them. For eg, I have a topic I started  "Happy Sabbath To All;" and it has a lot of views, yet only one or two people hit the like button on that topic when I post there. I noticed there are a few other topics like that on the forum as well. So I would say just go where your heart is, post what you are interested in, and what personally motivates or helps you from scripture. (1 John 1:1-3). Like Elijah who thought he was alone, there were 7000 just like him hidden in the shadows of history - I see the forum as something like that.

I just started one topic you might be interested in: "God's Providence."  I have a few more ideas for interesting topics; but my time and energy are in short supply. Id really like to hear your take on that topic!

The Wanderer
7 hours ago, JoeMo said:

I miss some of the more prolific and challenging posters

are you saying that I am not "challenging?" lol

Edited by The Wanderer

JoeMo
4 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

are you saying that I am not "challenging?" lol

You are challenging!  Sometimes you wear me out.  But you are still here; so I don't miss you THAT much! :nana: