Kingdom of Adventistan
The Wanderer

Should Footwashing Be Practiced As a Means of Grace Within the Church?

The Wanderer
4 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

Yes, there is stuff you do not know.  It is evident that you have never had your feet washed while you were  wearing nylons.

I sometimes use them in my contracting to strain paint with :)

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

Gregory Matthews

I hope that you are not telling us that you get your supply from women who have removed them in order to participate in the foot washing.

The Wanderer

Can Canadians claim whatever that ammendment is re not incriminating ones self? "there is a time for silence..." :)

B/W Photodude
20 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

pardon my profound ignorance, but what is this about?

Here is a lengthly quote from which I quoted from:

Jesus set us the example and told us to do as He had done to us. I saw that the example of Christ should be as exactly followed as possible. <- (My quote)Yet brethren and sisters have not always moved as judiciously as they should in washing feet, and confusion has been caused. I saw that the messengers of God must be careful how they introduce this duty. I saw that no example was given us in God's Word for the brethren to wash the sisters’ feet, but there was an example of the sisters washing their brethren's feet.7

Should this passage on intergender foot washing be taken as implying that it was common practice among Sabbatarian Adventists in the early 1850s for men to wash the feet of women and vice versa? Does the passage constitute instruction radically curtailing such practices? There are only a handful of reports in the Review, during this period, of the foot-washing ceremony being observed, and none of them describe how it was carried out. It seems unlikely, however, that mixed gender washing, particularly men washing the feet of women, was a common feature. Such a practice was considered scandalous and had raised a hue and cry in both the secular and religious press during 1845-1846, when some Millerite factions had adopted “promiscuous” (i.e., mixed) foot washing. It seems more than likely that if mixed gender washing had been a common feature of Sabbatarian Adventism in the early 1850s it would have been highlighted by critics of the movement. Although no comprehensive study has been done of early critics of the Sabbatarian Adventists, random reading of this literature has not uncovered accusations of such practice.

An alternative interpretation of this passage is that Ellen White is primarily addressing those who argued that foot washing per se was an unbiblical practice. According to one such argument, as set out here by B. Mathewson in 1858, “in Christ Jesus ‘there is neither male nor female. … Where is one example where Christ ever separated the sexes for worship or the performance of an ordinance?” Hence, he argues, “there can be no impropriety for the sexes to engage … promiscuously … in the ordinance of the Lord's supper.” And yet, as “all must see,” such a mixed service “would have an appearance of evil” and “be a great source of scandal to the church.” The inescapable conclusion is that Christ never intended foot washing as a general ordinance. To this kind of argument James White responded some years later, in 1859: “We reply that confining ourselves strictly to the example set us in the sacred record involves no breach of propriety. We have the examples of females washing the feet of males, but not vice versa.” James White's counterargument clearly echoed the position found in this 1853 letter by Ellen White.

B/W Photodude
11 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

I sometimes use them in my contracting to strain paint with :)

They also make great soft focus filters in photography. If you get those approx 3in metal rings from a craft store and apply glue all the way around the ring. Stretch the nylon out in something like an embroidery ring. Lay the metal ring onto the nylon and let it dry. when dry, just cut it out around the ring. If you get the black ones, color will be best maintained with even a bit of neutral density. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 22.48.58.jpg

This photographer just rubber banded them on, but I prefer the stretched on a ring better. Can't find mine at the moment or I would have put a pic here.

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 22.48.41.jpg

This appears to be like what you get with black stockings, Color maintained with soft focus.

The Wanderer

well; now whose nylons will I use for this kind of photography? lol I didnt half-realize what I was getting into when I started this topic! THAT much I do know!

re your comments above: whenever there are only "a handful of notes" there is always a good reason for it - be it EGW writings, or scripture. I started this topic because I have been wondering if we have made "the lord's supper" something scripture never intended?

I will definitely experiment re the photography. :)

B/W Photodude
On 1/22/2019 at 9:37 AM, Gregory Matthews said:

As to women wearing nylons:  They are not required to remove them in order to participate in the foot washing, the idea being the same that allows people wearing clothing to be baptized in their clothing.

Baptized in their clothing?! Never wore my outer clothes to baptism. Underclothes and the baptismal robe was all.

In the mikveh today, mikveh being the predecesser of baptism, among the orthodox Jews, it is done naked with no jewelry, makeup, or anything that would obstruct the water from touching every area of skin.

Christian nudists make a big point how early Christian baptisms were done naked. No one ever comments on whether it was mixed company.

The Wanderer
3 minutes ago, B/W Photodude said:

Christian nudists make a big point how early Christian baptisms were done naked. No one ever comments on whether it was mixed company.

Oy yoi yoi!