Kingdom of Adventistan
james423

Lesson 8 - Satan, a Defeated Enemy

james423

Overall Question:   Who defeated Satan?   What does this mean to us as Christians?

Memory Text: Revelation 12:11 New Living Translation And they have defeated him by the blood of the Lamb and by their testimony. And they did not love their lives so much that they were afraid to die.

Sunday – The Woman and the Dragon

Revelation 12:1-5 New Century Version And then a great wonder appeared in heaven: A woman was clothed with the sun, and the moon was under her feet, and a crown of twelve stars was on her head. 2 She was pregnant and cried out with pain, because she was about to give birth. 3 Then another wonder appeared in heaven: There was a giant red dragon with seven heads and seven crowns on each head. He also had ten horns. 4 His tail swept a third of the stars out of the sky and threw them down to the earth. He stood in front of the woman who was ready to give birth so he could eat her baby as soon as it was born. 5 Then the woman gave birth to a son who will rule all the nations with an iron rod. And her child was taken up to God and to his throne.

Revelation 12:4 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Some believe that …. “the third part of the stars of heaven” represents a third part of the heavenly angels, who joined Lucifer in his rebellion and were expelled from heaven…To devour. This represents the efforts of Satan to destroy the infant Jesus. One needs only to recall the attitude of Herod as he listened to the message from the wise men to perceive the appropriateness of this figurative description of the event.

Revelation 12:9 Common English Bible So the great dragon was thrown down. The old snake, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world, was thrown down to the earth; and his angels were thrown down with him.

Genesis 3:15 Contemporary English Version You and this woman will hate each other; your descendants and hers will always be enemies. One of hers will strike you on the head, and you will strike him on the heel.

Revelation 12:4 Easy-to-Read Version Its tail swept a third of the stars out of the sky and threw them down to the earth. It stood in front of the woman who was ready to give birth to the baby. It wanted to eat the woman’s baby as soon as it was born.

Monday – Satan Cast Down to Earth

Revelation 12:7-9 Good News Translation 7 Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, who fought back with his angels; 8 but the dragon was defeated, and he and his angels were not allowed to stay in heaven any longer. 9 The huge dragon was thrown out—that ancient serpent, named the Devil, or Satan, that deceived the whole world. He was thrown down to earth, and all his angels with him.

Revelation 12:8 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Prevailed not. Inasmuch as the phrase “war in heaven” (v. 7) may have a dual application, describing both the original controversy in heaven between Lucifer and God and the controversy on earth between Satan and the incarnate Christ, the phrase “prevailed not” would appropriately apply to both stages of the conflict. In neither was Satan successful. Their place. This phrase may be understood either as the place once possessed, or occupied, by them, or the place once assigned them. Lucifer was at one time the covering cherub, and the angels who joined him in rebellion held various positions of responsibility. These, Lucifer and his angels lost when they were cast out of heaven.

Revelation 12:11 God’s Word Translation They won the victory over him because of the blood of the lamb and the word of their testimony. They didn’t love their life so much that they refused to give it up.

Revelation 12:11 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES The result of the attempts to destroy the Christian religion by persecution demonstrated that it was to triumph. No more mighty power could be employed to crush it than was employed by the Roman emperors; and when it was seen that Christianity could survive those efforts to crush it, it was certain that it was destined to live for ever.

Ephesians 6:10-18 New English Translation 10 Finally, be strengthened in the Lord and in the strength of his power. 11 Clothe yourselves with the full armor of God so that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavens. 13 For this reason, take up the full armor of God so that you may be able to stand your ground on the evil day, and having done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm therefore, by fastening the belt of truth around your waist, by putting on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 by fitting your feet with the preparation that comes from the good news of peace, 16 and in all of this, by taking up the shield of faith with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 With every prayer and petition, pray at all times in the Spirit, and to this end be alert, with all perseverance and requests for all the saints.

Tuesday – The War on Earth

Revelation 12:13-14 New Century Version 13 When the dragon saw he had been thrown down to the earth, he hunted for the woman who had given birth to the son. 14 But the woman was given the two wings of a great eagle so she could fly to the place prepared for her in the desert. There she would be taken care of for three and one-half years, away from the snake.

Daniel 7:23-25 Modern English Version 23 Thus he said: “The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth, which shall be different from all kingdoms, and shall devour the whole earth and shall tread it down and break it in pieces. 24 The ten horns out of this kingdom are ten kings that shall arise; and another shall rise after them, and he shall be different from the first, and he shall subdue three kings. 25 He shall speak words against the Most High and shall wear out the saints of the Most High and plan to change times and law. And they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and half a time. [for a year, two years, and half a year or 1260 days / years]

Daniel 7:25 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY The prophetic period of the little horn began in A.D. 538, when the Ostrogoths abandoned the siege of Rome, and the bishop of Rome, released from Arian control, was free to exercise the prerogatives of Justinian’s decree of 533, and thenceforth to increase the authority of the “Holy See” (see on v. 8). Exactly 1260 years later (1798), the spectacular victories of the armies of Napoleon in Italy placed the pope at the mercy of the French revolutionary government, which now advised him that the Roman religion would always be the irreconcilable enemy of the Republic, and added that “there is one thing even more essential to the attainment of the end desired, and that is to destroy, if possible, the centre of unity of the Roman Church; and it is for you, who unite in your person the most distinguished qualities of the general and of the enlightened politician, to realize this aim if you consider it practicable” (Ibid., p. 158). In response to these instructions and at the command of Napoleon, Berthier, with a French army, entered Rome, proclaimed the political rule of the papacy at an end and took the pope prisoner, carrying him off to France, where he died in exile.

Revelation 12:16 New Living Translation But the earth helped her by opening its mouth and swallowing the river that gushed out from the mouth of the dragon.

Wednesday – War Against the Remnant

Revelation 12:17 Common English Bible So the dragon was furious with the woman, and he went off to make war on the rest of her children, on those who keep God’s commandments and hold firmly to the witness of Jesus.

Revelation 12:17 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Testimony of Jesus Christ. Or, “witness of Jesus Christ.” In the Greek this phrase may be understood either as the “testimony” (or “witness”) Christians bear concerning Jesus or as the “testimony” (or “witness”) that originates with Jesus and is revealed to His church through the prophets. A comparison with ch. 19:10 clearly favors the latter interpretation. There the “testimony of Jesus” is defined as the “spirit of prophecy,” meaning that Jesus is witnessing to the church through the medium of prophecy.

Revelation 19:10 Common English Bible Then I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said, “Don’t do that! I’m a servant just like you and your brothers and sisters who hold firmly to the witness of Jesus. Worship God! The witness of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy!”

Revelation 22:9 Easy-to-Read Version But the angel said to me, “Don’t worship me! I am a servant like you and your brothers the prophets. I am a servant like all those who obey the words in this book. You should worship God!”

Thursday – Satan’s End-Time Strategy

2 Thessalonians 2:8-12 New Living Translation 8 Then the man of lawlessness will be revealed, but the Lord Jesus will slay him with the breath of his mouth and destroy him by the splendor of his coming. 9 This man will come to do the work of Satan with counterfeit power and signs and miracles. 10 He will use every kind of evil deception to fool those on their way to destruction, because they refuse to love and accept the truth that would save them. 11 So God will cause them to be greatly deceived, and they will believe these lies. 12 Then they will be condemned for enjoying evil rather than believing the truth.

Revelation 13:13-14 New International Version 13 And it performed great signs, even causing fire to come down from heaven to the earth in full view of the people. 14 Because of the signs it was given power to perform on behalf of the first beast, it deceived the inhabitants of the earth. It ordered them to set up an image in honor of the beast who was wounded by the sword and yet lived.

Revelation 19:20 Tree of Life Version Then the beast was captured, and along with him the false prophet who had performed the signs before him by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast, as well as those who had worshiped his image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Revelation 13:18 Contemporary English Version You need wisdom to understand the number of the beast! But if you are smart enough, you can figure this out. Its number is six hundred sixty-six, and it stands for a person.

Revelation 13:18 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY An interpretation that gained currency in the period following the Reformation was that 666 stood for Vicarius Filii Dei, meaning “vicar of the Son of God,” one of the titles for the pope of Rome.

Revelation 17:9 Common English Bible This calls for an understanding mind. The seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman is seated. They are also seven kings.

Revelation 17:9 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Mountains. A common prophetic symbol designating political or religio-political powers…This symbol may also be an allusion to the city of Rome with its seven hills. Classical writers often refer to Rome as the City of Seven Hills…This symbol may also be an allusion to the city of Rome with its seven hills. Classical writers often refer to Rome as the City of Seven Hills.

Friday – Further Thought

Luke 12:48 New Century Version But the servant who does not know what his master wants and does things that should be punished will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded. And from the one trusted with much, much more will be expected.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

The Wanderer

Its hard to imagine Satan as "defeated" right now, with everything that is going on these days.

THIS I can see more clearly:

50 minutes ago, james423 said:

From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded. And from the one trusted with much, much more will be expected.

JoeMo
On 2/15/2019 at 4:06 PM, james423 said:

And they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and half a time. [for a year, two years, and half a year or 1260 days / years]

Daniel 7:25 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY The prophetic period of the little horn began in A.D. 538, when the Ostrogoths abandoned the siege of Rome, and the bishop of Rome, released from Arian control, was free to exercise the prerogatives of Justinian’s decree of 533, and thenceforth to increase the authority of the “Holy See” (see on v. 8). Exactly 1260 years later (1798),

I have a question.  Rev. 11:3 - 7 talks about the two witnesses that prophecy for 1260 days.

"3And I will appoint my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth.” 4 They are “the two olive trees” and the two lampstands, and “they stand before the Lord of the earth.”[a] 5 If anyone tries to harm them, fire comes from their mouths and devours their enemies. This is how anyone who wants to harm them must die. 6 They have power to shut up the heavens so that it will not rain during the time they are prophesying; and they have power to turn the waters into blood and to strike the earth with every kind of plague as often as they want. 7 Now when they have finished their testimony, the beast that comes up from the Abyss will attack them, and overpower and kill them. "

Given the assumed meaning of 1,260 days in the rest of Revelation, I can only assume that the two witnesses described as prophesying and calling down fire, drought, and plagues during the same 1,260 year reign of the papacy.  Who were these prophets; and when were they called to heaven?

Guest James423

According to the SDA Commentary, the best explanation is that these two prophets were the Old and New Testaments in the Christian Bible.  They were attacked by French people during the French Revolution and killed.  For 3.5 days or 3.5 years, they were dead to the French people but were revived by God so they were able to continue their work. 

The Wanderer
20 hours ago, JoeMo said:

I have a question.  Rev. 11:3 - 7 talks about the two witnesses that prophecy for 1260 days.

"3And I will appoint my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth.” 4 They are “the two olive trees” and the two lampstands, and “they stand before the Lord of the earth.”[a] 5 If anyone tries to harm them, fire comes from their mouths and devours their enemies. This is how anyone who wants to harm them must die. 6 They have power to shut up the heavens so that it will not rain during the time they are prophesying; and they have power to turn the waters into blood and to strike the earth with every kind of plague as often as they want. 7 Now when they have finished their testimony, the beast that comes up from the Abyss will attack them, and overpower and kill them. "

Given the assumed meaning of 1,260 days in the rest of Revelation, I can only assume that the two witnesses described as prophesying and calling down fire, drought, and plagues during the same 1,260 year reign of the papacy.  Who were these prophets; and when were they called to heaven?

I have always viewed "the two witnesses" as The Old & New Testament. I am aware of a lot of the debate that swirls around such a statement; but I think there is good reasons from scripture for thinking this way about it.

JoeMo
1 minute ago, The Wanderer said:

I have always viewed "the two witnesses" as The Old & New Testament.

That what it said in "Great Controversy" when I looked it up last night. But when I read the passage quoted above, I don't see a collection of books taking the actions described.  It seems more like it is two beings or two groups of beings.  It also said the witnesses are in the holy city - which definitely isn't in France as the GC puts forth.  The Old and New Testament weren't called up to heaven at the end of the 1,260 years; indeed, one of the greatest revivals and uplifting of the scriptures in the history of the world took place in the 19th century.

Could they be the literal Moses and Elijah who appeared with Jesus at the transfiguration?

Could it be the two "churches" (groups of people) - Smyrna and Philadelphia - present at the end times who whom Jesus has nothing bad to say in Rev. 2 and 3 who bring the Three Angel's  Message to the world?  I say possibly those two churches because Jesus says the two witnesses are the two olive trees and two lampstands. In Rev. 1:19 he says "The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches."

The Wanderer
2 hours ago, JoeMo said:

That what it said in "Great Controversy" when I looked it up last night. But when I read the passage quoted above, I don't see a collection of books taking the actions described

For now; I could offer the following: I personally dont use The Great Controversy to determine or decipher anything in scripture. I do read it, sometimes quite regularly, but the reasons I have developed, are from scripture. IMO we can all do the same thing, and take a passage that we dont know what on earth it means, and try to use scripture only, to see what kinds of explanations might be possible. I have found scripture from both OT & NT that seem to suggest "the two witnesses" are "the word of God," and that would mean both OT & NT.

JoeMo
18 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

I have found scripture from both OT & NT that seem to suggest "the two witnesses" are "the word of God," and that would mean both OT & NT.

Could you share some of those passages, please?

The Wanderer
2 hours ago, JoeMo said:

Could you share some of those passages, please?

Thank you for the question. I will come back as I am able to try to fill in some detail. My time and energy is quite limited right now. But this is a subject of great interest to me.

The Wanderer
On 3/8/2019 at 6:14 PM, JoeMo said:

Could it be the two "churches" (groups of people) - Smyrna and Philadelphia - present at the end times who whom Jesus has nothing bad to say in Rev. 2 and 3 who bring the Three Angel's  Message to the world?  I say possibly those two churches because Jesus says the two witnesses are the two olive trees and two lampstands. In Rev. 1:19 he says "The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches."

OK, I only have a moment or two. Let me just pose a question here. The clues we need to solve this question are right in the cited text. The question I would pose is as follows: You mentioned "possibly" and my question is simply, from an exegetical POV: "Is it a good idea to use a "possibility" to verify/justify a certainty?"

The "certainty" here, being "The Two Witnesses."  "THE" when used in this type of text always refers to something quite specific. THE Two Witnesses. If scripture were to explain scripture here; where should we start?

Edited by The Wanderer

JoeMo
11 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

You mentioned "possibly" and my question is simply, from an exegetical POV: "Is it a good idea to use a "possibility" to verify/justify a certainty?"

I'm not trying to justify a "certainty".  I'm asking questions, because I don't have a "certain" answer.  I question the two witnesses being the OT and NT because there wasn't a NT in John's day.  I don't see a collection of books doing things like calling down plagues, drought, and famine.  I'm still waiting for verses from you that indicate the Bible is the two witnesses.  I'm willing to listen.

11 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

THE Two Witnesses. If scripture were to explain scripture here; where should we start?

My question exactly.  I can think of some possibilities, buy nothing I would be willing to state as a "certainty".

The Wanderer
2 minutes ago, JoeMo said:

I'm not trying to justify a "certainty".  I'm asking questions, because I don't have a "certain" answer.  I question the two witnesses being the OT and NT because there wasn't a NT in John's day.  I don't see a collection of books doing things like calling down plagues, drought, and famine.  I'm still waiting for verses from you that indicate the Bible is the two witnesses.  I'm willing to listen.

My question exactly.  I can think of some possibilities, buy nothing I would be willing to state as a "certainty".

Ill try again here. I wasnt talking about you personally, when I mentioned "certainty." The "certainty" is already there in the text. "The Two Witnesses" are already there in the text, so thats not a question here. The question is, what are these "two witnesses?" I used your words such as "possibly," to show that we too often use some "possibly" theory to denote a "certainty" or to "possibly" denote it. And what I am questioning is that. Theres nothing wrong with keeping in mind "possibilities" but should we use them to indicate something about what is a certainty? I would not use a possible theory to define a certainty. I would only use something that is clearly a certain fact. What I am saying is the clues we can focus on are right in the text itself, and those clues will lead to certain well-defined facts. Sorry for making you "wait." I post according to time and energy. But sometimes instead of just giving the answer, I think its wise to give some tools for people to figure it out on their own.  Not saying Im the expert and you are not. Just that the text regarding "the two witnesses," already has the Bible clues we need to resolve this question.

phkrause
6 hours ago, JoeMo said:

I question the two witnesses being the OT and NT because there wasn't a NT in John's day.

If I'm not mistaken the 2 witnesses has to do with the 1260 day/year prophecy?? In that case, even though that's what John saw, it had to do with the future, no? And that period of time would be from 538 till 1798!! When the NT was obviously in play and would be the reason that I accept the OT and NT as the 2 witnesses!!

The Wanderer
4 hours ago, phkrause said:

If I'm not mistaken the 2 witnesses has to do with the 1260 day/year prophecy?? In that case, even though that's what John saw, it had to do with the future, no? And that period of time would be from 538 till 1798!! When the NT was obviously in play and would be the reason that I accept the OT and NT as the 2 witnesses!!

Apparently, written testimony is stronger than oral  "tradition" as we consider that Jesus declared of the Old Testament Scriptures, "They are they which testify of Me." John 5:39. Therefore, in deciding what/who the two witnesses are, we can consider any OT passages which are related somehow to the text at hand, from Rev 11.

“These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth”. (Rev 11:4) [of the KJV Version] This is a direct description of “the two witnesses.”  Textual allusion is evident here, as we can see it points  to Zech 4:11-14, where it is implied that the two olive trees are taken to represent the word of God. David also testifies, "The entrance of Thy words giveth light;" and, "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." Psalms 119:130; Psalms 119:105. Here, scripture interprets scripture. OT & NT are united.

Additionally, scripture tells us: "And if any man will hurt them, [the two witnesses] fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed."  (Rev 11:5). To hurt the word of God is to oppose, corrupt, or pervert its testimony, and turn people away from it. Against those who do this work, fire proceedeth out of their mouth to devour them, that is, the  judgment of fire is pronounced in that very word of God against such. It declares that they will have their punishment in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone. (Mal 4:1; Rev 20:15; Rev 22:18-19.)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.