Kingdom of Adventistan
Gregory Matthews

EGW & 8 Prominent Women

Gregory Matthews

The following website mentions eight (8) women who played a major role in giving women in the U.S. equal rights and lived during the time that Ellen White was alive.  Why is this of interest to us today:

*  In understanding the role that these women had in society, we gain an understanding the society in which Ellen White lived.

*  As you review these women, can you identify any who were related to Adventism?  Who?  [Clue, one or more may be related to Adventism.]

*  How might these women have influenced EGW?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/kids/people-places/eight-women-who-fought-the-fight/ar-BBQSolz?ocid=spartandhp

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

The Wanderer
7 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

very interesting links and material. I think I figured who the Adventist lady is you were mentioning? from the latter link:

Sojourner Truth (Isabella Van Wagener), the famous abolitionist, was believed to be a Seventh-day Adventist - through the efforts of Uriah Smith.

Though her baptism by Smith is questioned by some historians, it is generally accepted that Sojourner Truth was acquainted with Advent teachings and accepted the Sabbath. She knew Ellen White, John Byington, Dr. J. H. Kellogg, and other prominent church leaders. She spoke at the Battle Creek Sanitarium and several other church gatherings. Her grave is in the Oak Hill Cemetery in Battle Creek, near the White family burial place.

Kevin H

Besides Sojourner Truth, there is another connection to Mrs. White. Victoria Woodhull's running mate was Frederick Douglas who was a personal friend of the White's and who may have become a Seventh-day Adventist. We do know that he had children who were Seventh-day Adventists. 

We do not know how Douglas and the White's met, but there is some very strong circumstantial evidence. When the Whites were in Rochester New York and getting the publishing work started, there was a publisher there who helped them. Our records do not give the name of that publisher. However Frederick Douglas happened to have been a Publisher in Rochester NY at the time. He was very friendly towards Millerites and allowed Rochester's Millerites wait on the roof of his building. He encouraged them and helped them with the great disappointment and was always willing to give Millerites a helping hand.  

B/W Photodude
13 hours ago, Kevin H said:

Sojourner Truth
Victoria Woodhull
Frederick Douglas

Interesting collection of individuals.

I knew about Sojourner Truth and her possibly being an Adventist. 

Frederick Douglass - I have read some of his writings. But I was surprised to hear of his association with Victoria Woodhull. 

Victoria Woodhull was a character in the suffragette movement and she had a very strange life including no formal education. But she was into spiritualism and seances. She had a table she conducted seances on. Unfortunately, I believe it was Edith Cady Stanton who sat down at that table to write her speech for the Seneca Falls convention. she reports sitting down to write and the ideas flowed out on to the paper! Makes you wonder where those ideas originated from. When Victoria Woodhull died, that table was at the head of her casket.

Woodhull also championed a style of clothing that Sister White had some serious rebukes to. And she had some comments to say regarding the whole suffragette movement. The radical feminist movement has always been very much against Christianity, no matter how much lipstick you put on the feminist movement.