Kingdom of Adventistan
Gregory Matthews

Dr. Desmond Ford

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

The Wanderer

lol, I thought the first link was more of "special value:"

It was a good article. I could relate to much of it:

To be dismissed from ministry is more like a divorce than the loss of a job. Overnight I was no longer an esteemed teacher of religion at Andrews University, but a nomad chasing sun devils across the desert. At this wind blown point in my life Des Ford offered me a position with Good News Unlimited in Auburn, California. For two years we preached the gospel together from Finland to New Zealand. I am forever grateful to him. As we all know, he too had been defrocked for heresy by the General Conference. When the vote to dismiss us was taken at headquarters it stipulated that we were never to be reinstated to ministry “regardless of repentance and reformation.” Somebody on the disciplinary committee seems to have had quite a bee in his bonnet. But years have passed—and Des has too.

I didnt know that the GC had stipulated such a draconian measure. I have never heard of such a thing until I read the article.

Kevin H

Powerful passages. I remember when he came to AUC for week of prayer, and I ate lunch with him one day. The week included a Sabbath afternoon debate with our New Testament Professor, Dr. James Valentine. Sadly due to work I was not able to attend all of it, nor have I been able to find a copy of it.   The most memorial part of what I heard was several times Des would reply to something James brought up, that he had a hard time fitting that verse into his theology.

Our professors were strong critics of him and equally strong of the so called "Historic Adventists" which has ended up having a strong affect on my approach to scripture. The Spectrum article by William Johnson really hits home, where he would say that he is right. Our AUC professors pointed out that Dr. Ford was an expect in the teachings of the reformers and a fantastic New Testament Theologian. They said that his biggest problem is that he would speak with equal authority in both the fields of his expertise and in the fields that he did not have expertise. They pointed out that where he got into trouble was in the fields outside of his expertise. Our Old Testament professor said "If I was to speak with the same authority on the  New Testament as he does on the Old Testament I'd be in just as much trouble." He also said that Ford could be reinstated if he would only say things like "I don't see how the Investigative Judgment fits, but that is more of an Old Testament idea and I will leave that to the Old Testament professors" and to just focus on what he indeed did know.

The Wanderer

I always find it a little strange to consider how nice a person suddenly becomes, as soon as they die. Why couldnt the church talk like that about him while he was still around to hear it? (for those who dont realize - thats not a comment about Dr Ford).