Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
james423

Lesson 1 - The Rhythms of Life

james423

Overall Question:  What are some of the basic rhythms of life this lesson discussed?

Memory Text: Ecclesiastes 3:1 New Living Translation For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven.

Sunday – In the Beginning

Genesis 1 New Century Version In the beginning God created the sky and the earth. 2 The earth was empty and had no form. Darkness covered the ocean, and God’s Spirit was moving over the water. 3 Then God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, so he divided the light from the darkness. 5 God named the light “day” and the darkness “night.” Evening passed, and morning came. This was the first day. 6 Then God said, “Let there be something to divide the water in two.” 7 So God made the air and placed some of the water above the air and some below it. 8 God named the air “sky.” Evening passed, and morning came. This was the second day. 9 Then God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered together so the dry land will appear.” And it happened. 10 God named the dry land “earth” and the water that was gathered together “seas.” God saw that this was good. 11 Then God said, “Let the earth produce plants—some to make grain for seeds and others to make fruits with seeds in them. Every seed will produce more of its own kind of plant.” And it happened. 12 The earth produced plants with grain for seeds and trees that made fruits with seeds in them. Each seed grew its own kind of plant. God saw that all this was good. 13 Evening passed, and morning came. This was the third day. 14 Then God said, “Let there be lights in the sky to separate day from night. These lights will be used for signs, seasons, days, and years. 15 They will be in the sky to give light to the earth.” And it happened. 16 So God made the two large lights. He made the brighter light to rule the day and made the smaller light to rule the night. He also made the stars. 17 God put all these in the sky to shine on the earth, 18 to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. God saw that all these things were good. 19 Evening passed, and morning came. This was the fourth day. 20 Then God said, “Let the water be filled with living things, and let birds fly in the air above the earth.” 21 So God created the large sea animals and every living thing that moves in the sea. The sea is filled with these living things, with each one producing more of its own kind. He also made every bird that flies, and each bird produced more of its own kind. God saw that this was good. 22 God blessed them and said, “Have many young ones so that you may grow in number. Fill the water of the seas, and let the birds grow in number on the earth.” 23 Evening passed, and morning came. This was the fifth day. 24 Then God said, “Let the earth be filled with animals, each producing more of its own kind. Let there be tame animals and small crawling animals and wild animals, and let each produce more of its kind.” And it happened. 25 So God made the wild animals, the tame animals, and all the small crawling animals to produce more of their own kind. God saw that this was good. 26 Then God said, “Let us make human beings in our image and likeness. And let them rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the tame animals, over all the earth, and over all the small crawling animals on the earth.” 27 So God created human beings in his image. In the image of God he created them. He created them male and female. 28 God blessed them and said, “Have many children and grow in number. Fill the earth and be its master. Rule over the fish in the sea and over the birds in the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” 29 God said, “Look, I have given you all the plants that have grain for seeds and all the trees whose fruits have seeds in them. They will be food for you. 30 I have given all the green plants as food for every wild animal, every bird of the air, and every small crawling animal.” And it happened. 31 God looked at everything he had made, and it was very good. Evening passed, and morning came. This was the sixth day.

Genesis 8:22 New International Reader’s Version “As long as the earth lasts, there will always be a time to plant and a time to gather the crops. As long as the earth lasts, there will always be cold and heat. There will always be summer and winter, day and night.”

Monday – The Rhythms of Life

1 - Ecclesiastes 3:2 Holman Christian Standard Bible a time to give birth and a time to die; a time to plant and a time to uproot.

2 - Genesis 21:8 Contemporary English Version The time came when Sarah no longer had to nurse Isaac, and on that day Abraham gave a big feast.

Judges 13:24 Christian Standard Bible So the woman gave birth to a son and named him Samson. The boy grew, and the Lord blessed him.

3 - Psalm 71:5 Easy-to-Read Version Lord God, you are my hope. I have trusted you since I was a young boy.

Proverbs 5:18 English Standard Version Let your fountain be blessed,     and rejoice in the wife of your youth

4 - Genesis 15:15 Good News Translation You yourself will live to a ripe old age, die in peace, and be buried.

Judges 8:32 Modern English Version Gideon son of Joash died at a good old age, and he was buried in the tomb of his father Joash in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.

5 - Psalm 90:10 Good News Translation Seventy years is all we have—    eighty years, if we are strong; yet all they bring us is trouble and sorrow;    life is soon over, and we are gone.

Tuesday – The Unexpected

Job 1:13-19 New English Translation 13 Now the day came when Job’s sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother’s house, 14 and a messenger came to Job, saying, “The oxen were plowing and the donkeys were grazing beside them, 15 and the Sabeans swooped down and carried them all away, and they killed the servants with the sword! And I—only I alone—escaped to tell you!” 16 While this one was still speaking, another messenger arrived and said, “The fire of God has fallen from heaven and has burned up the sheep and the servants—it has consumed them! And I—only I alone—escaped to tell you!” 17 While this one was still speaking another messenger arrived and said, “The Chaldeans formed three bands and made a raid on the camels and carried them all away, and they killed the servants with the sword! And I—only I alone—escaped to tell you!” 18 While this one was still speaking another messenger arrived and said, “Your sons and your daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother’s house, 19 and suddenly a great wind swept across the wilderness and struck the four corners of the house, and it fell on the young people, and they died! And I—only I alone—escaped to tell you!”

Job 2:7-9 Contemporary English Version 7 Satan left and caused painful sores to break out all over Job’s body—from head to toe. d8 Then Job sat on the ash-heap to show his sorrow. And while he was scraping his sores with a broken piece of pottery, 9 his wife asked, “Why do you still trust God? Why don’t you curse him and die?”

Wednesday – Transitions

Acts 8:1 New International Version And Saul approved of their killing him. On that day a great persecution broke out against the church in Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria.

Acts 8:3 New Living Translation But Saul was going everywhere to destroy the church. He went from house to house, dragging out both men and women to throw them into prison.

Acts 9:1-22 New Century Version In Jerusalem Saul was still threatening the followers of the Lord by saying he would kill them. So he went to the high priest 2 and asked him to write letters to the synagogues in the city of Damascus. Then if Saul found any followers of Christ’s Way, men or women, he would arrest them and bring them back to Jerusalem. 3 So Saul headed toward Damascus. As he came near the city, a bright light from heaven suddenly flashed around him. 4 Saul fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul! Why are you persecuting me?” 5 Saul said, “Who are you, Lord?” The voice answered, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 6 Get up now and go into the city. Someone there will tell you what you must do.” 7 The people traveling with Saul stood there but said nothing. They heard the voice, but they saw no one. 8 Saul got up from the ground and opened his eyes, but he could not see. So those with Saul took his hand and led him into Damascus. 9 For three days Saul could not see and did not eat or drink. 10 There was a follower of Jesus in Damascus named Ananias. The Lord spoke to Ananias in a vision, “Ananias!”  Ananias answered, “Here I am, Lord.” 11 The Lord said to him, “Get up and go to Straight Street. Find the house of Judas, and ask for a man named Saul from the city of Tarsus. He is there now, praying. 12 Saul has seen a vision in which a man named Ananias comes to him and lays his hands on him. Then he is able to see again.” 13 But Ananias answered, “Lord, many people have told me about this man and the terrible things he did to your holy people in Jerusalem. 14 Now he has come here to Damascus, and the leading priests have given him the power to arrest everyone who worships you.” 15 But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! I have chosen Saul for an important work. He must tell about me to those who are not Jews, to kings, and to the people of Israel. 16 I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.” 17 So Ananias went to the house of Judas. He laid his hands on Saul and said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus sent me. He is the one you saw on the road on your way here. He sent me so that you can see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” 18 Immediately, something that looked like fish scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and he was able to see again! Then Saul got up and was baptized. 19 After he ate some food, his strength returned. Saul stayed with the followers of Jesus in Damascus for a few days. 20 Soon he began to preach about Jesus in the synagogues, saying, “Jesus is the Son of God.”

21 All the people who heard him were amazed. They said, “This is the man who was in Jerusalem trying to destroy those who trust in this name! He came here to arrest the followers of Jesus and take them back to the leading priests.”  22 But Saul grew more powerful. His proofs that Jesus is the Christ were so strong that his own people in Damascus could not argue with him.

Galatians 1:15-17 God’s Word Translation 15 But God, who appointed me before I was born and who called me by his kindness, was pleased 16 to show me his Son. He did this so that I would tell people who are not Jewish that his Son is the Good News. When this happened, I didn’t talk it over with any other person. 17 I didn’t even go to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was. Instead, I went to Arabia and then came back to Damascus.

Philippines 1:6 Common English Bible So now there isn’t any condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Romans 8:1 Christian Standard Bible Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus

Thursday – Interactions

Romans 15:7 Easy-to-Read Bible Christ accepted you, so you should accept each other. This will bring honor to God.

Ephesians 4:2 English Standard Version with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love

Ephesians 4:32 Contemporary English Version Instead, be kind and merciful, and forgive others, just as God forgave you because of Christ.

1 Thessalonians 3:12 Good News Translation May the Lord make your love for one another and for all people grow more and more and become as great as our love for you.

James 5:16 New International Reader’s Version So confess your sins to one another. Pray for one another so that you might be healed. The prayer of a godly person is powerful. Things happen because of it.

Luke 11:34 New Living Translation “Your eye is like a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is healthy, your whole body is filled with light. But when it is unhealthy, your body is filled with darkness.

Mark 4:24-25 New International Version 24 “Consider carefully what you hear,” he continued. “With the measure you use, it will be measured to you—and even more. 25 Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.”

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

Aliensanctuary

Genesis 1:

14 Then God said, “Let there be lights in the sky to separate day from night. These lights will be used for signs, seasons, days, and years. 15 They will be in the sky to give light to the earth.” And it happened. 16 So God made the two large lights. He made the brighter light to rule the day and made the smaller light to rule the night. He also made the stars. 17 God put all these in the sky to shine on the earth, 18 to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. God saw that all these things were good.

Technically, the moon is not a light, but a reflective body. If the brighter and the lesser lights were located inside of the dome, or firmament, they might be miniature suns.

If the "heavens" were located below the firmament, then Genesis 1:1 is about the creation of the  heavens and the Earth, not the universe. BTW, the Earth already existed before Day 1 because God did not say "Let there be Earth", only "Let there be Light."

JoeMo
7 hours ago, Aliensanctuary said:

Genesis 1:1 is about the creation of the  heavens and the Earth, not the universe. BTW, the Earth already existed before Day 1

I agree.  Genesis 1:2 makes it clear that God created the earth from existing material.

"And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep."

We cannot determine from scripture how long the universe itself existed before God made the earth habitable.  We have to rely on science, which has determined that the universe is 12 - 13 billion years old.