Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
james423

Lesson 3 - Preparing for Change

james423

Overall Question:   Change will come. How can we prepare for it?

Memory Text: Psalm 85:13 Contemporary English Version Justice will march in front, making a path for you to follow.

Sunday – Unprepared

1 Corinthians 10:1-13 God’s Word Translation I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that all our ancestors who left Egypt were under the cloud, and they all went through the sea. 2 They were all united with Moses by baptism in the cloud and in the sea. 3 All of them ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all of them drank the same spiritual drink. They drank from the spiritual rock that went with them, and that rock was Christ. 5 Yet, God was not pleased with most of them, so their dead bodies were scattered over the desert. 6 These things have become examples for us so that we won’t desire what is evil, as they did. 7 So don’t worship false gods as some of them did, as Scripture says, “The people sat down to a feast which turned into an orgy.” 8 We shouldn’t sin sexually as some of them did. Twenty-three thousand of them died on one day. 9 We shouldn’t put the Lord to the test as some of them did. They were killed by snakes. 10 Don’t complain as some of them did. The angel of death destroyed them. 11 These things happened to make them an example for others. These things were written down as a warning for us who are living in the closing days of history. 12 So, people who think they are standing firmly should be careful that they don’t fall. 13 There isn’t any temptation that you have experienced which is unusual for humans. God, who faithfully keeps his promises, will not allow you to be tempted beyond your power to resist. But when you are tempted, he will also give you the ability to endure the temptation as your way of escape.

Acts 5:1-10 New Living Translation But there was a certain man named Ananias who, with his wife, Sapphira, sold some property. 2 He brought part of the money to the apostles, claiming it was the full amount. With his wife’s consent, he kept the rest. 3 Then Peter said, “Ananias, why have you let Satan fill your heart? You lied to the Holy Spirit, and you kept some of the money for yourself. 4 The property was yours to sell or not sell, as you wished. And after selling it, the money was also yours to give away. How could you do a thing like this? You weren’t lying to us but to God!” 5 As soon as Ananias heard these words, he fell to the floor and died. Everyone who heard about it was terrified. 6 Then some young men got up, wrapped him in a sheet, and took him out and buried him. 7 About three hours later his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 Peter asked her, “Was this the price you and your husband received for your land?” “Yes,” she replied, “that was the price.” 9 And Peter said, “How could the two of you even think of conspiring to test the Spirit of the Lord like this? The young men who buried your husband are just outside the door, and they will carry you out, too.” 10 Instantly, she fell to the floor and died. When the young men came in and saw that she was dead, they carried her out and buried her beside her husband.

Genesis 16:1-2 Holman Christian Standard Bible Abram’s wife Sarai had not borne him children. She owned an Egyptian slave named Hagar. 2 Sarai said to Abraham, “Since the Lord has prevented me from bearing children, go to my slave; perhaps I can have children by her. And Abram agreed to what Sarai said.

Genesis 16:5-6 New Century Version 5 Then Sarai said to Abram, “This is your fault. I gave my slave girl to you, and when she became pregnant, she began to treat me badly. Let the Lord decide who is right—you or me.” 6 But Abram said to Sarai, “You are Hagar’s mistress. Do anything you want to her.” Then Sarai was hard on Hagar, and Hagar ran away.

Matthew 20:20-22 New English Translation 20 Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to him with her sons, and kneeling down she asked him for a favor. 21 He said to her, “What do you want?” She replied, “Permit these two sons of mine to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your kingdom.” 22 Jesus answered, “You don’t know what you are asking! Are you able to drink the cup I am about to drink?” They said to him, “We are able.”

Monday – Preparing for Marriage

1 Corinthians 13:4-8 Good News Translation 4 Love is patient and kind; it is not jealous or conceited or proud; 5 love is not ill-mannered or selfish or irritable; love does not keep a record of wrongs; 6 love is not happy with evil, but is happy with the truth. 7 Love never gives up; and its faith, hope, and patience never fail. 8 Love is eternal. There are inspired messages, but they are temporary; there are gifts of speaking in strange tongues, but they will cease; there is knowledge, but it will pass.

Galatians 5:22-23 Contemporary English Version 22 God’s Spirit makes us loving, happy, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, 23 gentle, and self-controlled. There is no law against behaving in any of these ways.

Characteristics of a Good Future Spouse

• Hard worker? Proverbs 24:30-34 Easy-to-Read Version 30 I walked past a field that belonged to a lazy man. It was a vineyard that belonged to someone who understood nothing. 31 Weeds were growing everywhere! Wild vines covered the ground, and the wall around the vineyard was broken and falling down. 32 I looked at this and thought about it. This is what I learned: 33 a little sleep, a little rest, folding your arms, and taking a nap— 34 these things will make you poor very quickly. Soon you will have nothing, as if a thief broke in and took everything away.
  • Bad temper? Proverbs 22:24 Holman Christian Standard Bible Don’t make friends with an angry man, and don’t be a companion of a hot-tempered man.
  • Common beliefs? 2 Corinthians 6:14-15 New International Reader’s Version 14 Do not be joined to unbelievers. What do right and wrong have in common? Can light and darkness be friends? 15 How can Christ and Satan agree? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?
  • Family and friends’ attitude? Proverbs 11:14 Holman Christian Standard Bible Without guidance people fall, but with many counselors there is deliverance.
  • Relying on faith or on feelings? Proverbs 3:5-6 New International Version 5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

Tuesday – Preparing for Parenting

1 Samuel 1:27 Holman Christian Standard Bible I prayed for this boy, and since the Lord gave me what I asked Him for.

Judges 13:7 The Clear Word for Kids He told me that I would have a baby toy, and that I should not drink alcohol or eat unclean foods, because the baby will be special.

Luke 1:6 Andrews Study Bible (NKJV) And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

Luke 1:13-17 The Clear Word for Kids 13-14 The angel said, “Don’t be afraid. Your prayers have been answered. You and your wife will have a baby boy. You to name him John. You both will be very happy because of him, and so will many others. 15-16 He will do a great work for God, but will live a simple life. He must not drink wine or alcohol. From birth he will be guided by the Holy Spirit, and he will bring many people to the Lord. 17 He will point them to thee Messiah and will preach with the spirit and power of Elijah. He will bring families back together. Parents will love their child, and child will love their parents. He will help them know what it means to be good and will point them to the Messiah.

Luke 1:39-55 Modern English Version 39 In those days Mary arose and quickly went into the hill country, to a city of Judah, 40 and entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. 41 When Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the baby leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 She spoke out with a loud voice, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! 43 But why is this granted to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 Indeed, as soon as the sound of your greeting came to my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45 Blessed is she who believed, for there will be a completion to those things which were told her by the Lord.” 46 And Mary said: “My soul magnifies the Lord, 47 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. 48 For He has regarded the low estate of His servant; surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed. 49 For He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His name. 50 His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation. 51 He has shown strength with His arm; He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. 52 He has pulled down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of low degree. 53 He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich He has sent away empty. 54 He has helped His servant Israel, in remembrance of His mercy,55 as He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his descendants forever.”

Luke 1:76-79 New Life Version 76 “And you, my son, will be the one who speaks for the Most High. For you will go before the Lord to make the way ready for Him. 77 You will tell His people how to be saved from the punishment of sin by being forgiven of their sins. 78 Because the heart of our God is full of loving-kindness for us, a light from heaven will shine on us. 79 It will give light to those who live in darkness and are under the shadow of death. It will lead our feet in the way of peace.”

Wednesday – Preparing for Old Age

Psalm 71 (in part) New International Version 1 In you, Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame. 2 In your righteousness, rescue me and deliver me; turn your ear to me and save me. 3 Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress. 4 Deliver me, my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of those who are evil and cruel. 5 For you have been my hope, Sovereign Lord,    my confidence since my youth. 6 From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother’s womb. I will ever praise you. 7 I have become a sign to many; you are my strong refuge. 8 My mouth is filled with your praise,     declaring your splendor all day long. 9 Do not cast me away when I am old;    do not forsake me when my strength is gone. 10 For my enemies speak against me; those who wait to kill me conspire together. 11 They say, “God has forsaken him; pursue him and seize him, for no one will rescue him.” 12 Do not be far from me, my God; come quickly, God, to help me. 13 May my accusers perish in shame; may those who want to harm me be covered with scorn and disgrace. 14 As for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more. 15 My mouth will tell of your righteous deeds, of your saving acts all day long— though I know not how to relate them all. 16 I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, Sovereign Lord; I will proclaim your righteous deeds, yours alone. 17 Since my youth, God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds. 18 Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come. 19 Your righteousness, God, reaches to the heavens, you who have done great things. Who is like you, God? 20 Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up.21 You will increase my honor and comfort me once more.22 I will praise you with the harp for your faithfulness, my God; I will sing praise to you with the lyre, Holy One of Israel. 23 My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to you— I whom you have delivered. 24 My tongue will tell of your righteous acts all day long, for those who wanted to harm me have been put to shame and confusion.

Thursday – Preparing for Death

1 Corinthians 15:24-26 Easy-to-Read Version 24 Then the end will come. Christ will destroy all rulers, authorities, and powers. Then he will give the kingdom to God the Father. 25 Christ must rule until God puts all enemies under his control. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed will be death.

1 Kings 2:1-4 The Clear Word for Kids As David grew weaker, he called for Solomon and said to Him, “I could die any day now. I want you to be a courageous king for the Lord.  Do what God says. Keep His commandments, and He will bless and prosper you. He gave us His laws for our good. The Lord promised that if we obey Him, our royal house will never fail.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.