Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
Gregory Matthews

Under Law

JoeMo
2 hours ago, 8thdaypriest said:

Has God ever been called "the forgiver" ? 

I couldn't find any place where the explicit word "forgiver" was found in scripture.  There are many places where God or Jesus forgives sins; and plenty of other places where NT writers said God forgives sin.  Doesn't that imply that God is "the forgiver"; since only He can forgive sins?

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

8thdaypriest
On 8/8/2019 at 7:19 PM, Gustave said:

Isaiah 60, 18: Violence shall no more be heard in thy land, wasting nor destruction within thy borders; but thou shalt call thy walls Salvation, and thy gates Praise. The sun shall be no more thy light by day; neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee: but the Lord shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory. Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for the Lord shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended. Thy people also shall be all righteous: they shall inherit the land for ever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I may be glorified.

Revelation 21, 22: And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it. And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof. And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.  And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.

The ancient Lunar Month, the Gregorian week will be irrelevant - those who make it will be eternally inside God's Rest.  Let's pray for each other that we all make it. 

I can't agree that the weekly cycle, monthly cycle - from creation, "will become irrelevant". 

If I read it right, WITHIN THE HOLY CITY there is constant light.  So no sun/moon day/night.  Everywhere outside the city, there will be cycles of day and night.  The new moon will be visible, as will the full moon for the Feasts of Passover and Sakkot. 

Isaiah 66:23 "From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me," says the LORD. (NIV)

When this earth was created, the LORD called it "very good".  It turned on its axis.  The sun, the moon, the stars, were all part of the "very good" creation.  It appears the "new earth" will involve most of the same bodies. 

8thdaypriest

Heppenstall says Paul's "second use" of the expression "under law" is in his descriptions of the Christian experience.  By grace we are not "under the law" - which means that "sin shall not have dominion over you" (Romans 6:12-14). 

Romans 6:12 "Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. 13 Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness. 14 For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace. (NIV)

In this verse (if I'm reading it right) "under the law" means "under the law" of sin - with sin having the dominion.  

It appears (to me) - in Paul's view, that sin had dominion over men (it controlled men) UNTIL Christ came and died to set us free from that dominion, through the indwelling of His Spirit.  That IS the New Covenant Promise - that He would put His spirit within us and then we would keep His Law (not because we are controlled, but because we are enabled to do so).  

The key might be in Paul's use of the words "another law".  The OTHER LAW would be the irresistible law of sin - the dominion of sin over mankind.  We are free to choose between the two, and we must choose between the two.  There is no in between.  No man can serve two masters. 

According to Paul, without Christ one doesn't really have a choice - one is not able to control one's thoughts or behavior, even when he knows the behavior is killing him, or will soon cut him off from God.   Sin is an overpowering addiction.  "Who will deliver me from this body of death?"  The answer of course - is Christ within.  As Paul said, "For me to live is Christ."  

I had not seen this meaning before - of "under the law".  But it does make sense. 

8thdaypriest
1 minute ago, 8thdaypriest said:

Heppenstall says Paul's "second use" of the expression "under law" is in his descriptions of the Christian experience.  By grace we are not "under the law" - which means that "sin shall not have dominion over you" (Romans 6:12-14). 

Romans 6:12 "Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. 13 Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness. 14 For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace. (NIV)

In this verse (if I'm reading it right) "under the law" means "under the law" of sin - with sin having the dominion.  

It appears (to me) - in Paul's view, that sin had dominion over men (it controlled men) UNTIL Christ came and died to set us free from that dominion, through the indwelling of His Spirit.  That IS the New Covenant Promise - that He would put His spirit within us and then we would keep His Law (not because we are controlled, but because we are enabled to do so).  

The key might be in Paul's use of the words "another law".  The OTHER LAW would be the irresistible law of sin - the dominion of sin over mankind.  We are free to choose between the two, and we must choose between the two.  There is no in between.  No man can serve two masters. 

According to Paul, without Christ one doesn't really have a choice - one is not able to control one's thoughts or behavior, even when he knows the behavior is killing him, or will soon cut him off from God.   Sin is an overpowering addiction.  "Who will deliver me from this body of death?"  The answer of course - is Christ within.  As Paul said, "For me to live is Christ."  

I had not seen this meaning before - of "under the law".  But it does make sense. 

Under the law of sin's dominion, the "first covenant" was indeed "a ministry of death written on stones" (2Cor 3:7).  Why? 

Answer:  Because they could not obey it in their own strength.  The dominion of sin was too strong over them.  That description of "the Ten" did not mean they should be discarded.  It just meant they were unattainable - without Christ within.  Now - under the "new covenant" The Ten are a promise of what He will do - in us.