Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
james423

Lesson 7 - Jesus and Those in Need

james423

Overall Question:  How did Jesus treat those in need?

Memory Text: Luke 4:18-19 New Century Version 18 “The Lord has put his Spirit in me, because he appointed me to tell the Good News to the poor. He has sent me to tell the captives they are free and to tell the blind that they can see again. [Isaiah 61:1] God sent me to free those who have been treated unfairly [Isaiah 58:6] 19 and to announce the time when the Lord will show his kindness.” [Isaiah 61:2]

Sunday – Mary’s Song

Luke 1:46-55 Good News Translation 46 Mary said, “My heart praises the Lord; 47 my soul is glad because of God my Savior, 48 for he has remembered me, his lowly servant! From now on all people will call me happy, 49 because of the great things the Mighty God has done for me. His name is holy; 50 from one generation to another he shows mercy to those who honor him. 51 He has stretched out his mighty arm and scattered the proud with all their plans. 52 He has brought down mighty kings from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly. 53 He has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away with empty hands. 54 He has kept the promise he made to our ancestors, and has come to the help of his servant Israel. 55 He has remembered to show mercy to Abraham and to all his descendants forever!”

Luke 1:48 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES Pronounce me highly favoured or happy in being the mother of the Messiah. It is therefore right to consider her as highly favoured or happy; but this certainly does not warrant us to worship her or to pray to her.  Abraham was blessed in being the father of the faithful; Paul in being the apostle to the Gentiles; Peter in first preaching the gospel to them; but who would think of worshipping or praying to Abraham, Paul, or Peter?

Monday – Jesus’ Mission Statement

Luke 4:16-21 Contemporary English Version 16 Jesus went back to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and as usual he went to the meeting place on the Sabbath. When he stood up to read from the Scriptures, 17 he was given the book of Isaiah the prophet. He opened it and read, 18 “The Lord’s Spirit has come to me, because he has chosen me to tell the good news to the poor. The Lord has sent me to announce freedom for prisoners, to give sight to the blind, to free everyone who suffers, 19 and to say, ‘This is the year the Lord has chosen.’” 20 Jesus closed the book, then handed it back to the man in charge and sat down. Everyone in the meeting place looked straight at Jesus. 21 Then Jesus said to them, “What you have just heard me read has come true today.”

Luke 4:20 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Custom required a standing posture for the public reading of the Law and the Prophets. But for the sermon, which followed the reading, the speaker was seated in a special seat sometimes called “the chair of Moses.” This chair stood on a raised platform near the lectern. Often, perhaps usually, Christ sat while preaching and teaching, a custom also followed, at least occasionally, by His disciples.

Luke 7:18-23 Easy-to-Read Version 18 John’s followers told him about all these things. John called for two of his followers. 19 He sent them to the Lord to ask, “Are you the one we heard was coming, or should we wait for someone else?” 20 So the men came to Jesus. They said, “John the Baptizer sent us to you with this question: ‘Are you the one who is coming, or should we wait for someone else?’” 21 Right then Jesus healed many people of their sicknesses and diseases. He healed those who had evil spirits and made many who were blind able to see again. 22 Then he said to John’s followers, “Go tell John what you have seen and heard: The blind can see. The crippled can walk. People with leprosy are healed. The deaf can hear. The dead are brought back to life. And the Good News is being told to the poor. 23 Great blessings belong to those who don’t have a problem accepting me.”

Luke 7:22 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Christ did not mention the “day of vengeance,” either at Nazareth or upon this occasion (see Isa. 61:2; Luke 4:19). In His message to John, Jesus also said nothing of “liberty” for the “captives” (Isa. 61:1). Such a reference could easily be misunderstood and might stir a false hope in John’s heart for release from prison. Implied in Christ’s answer was the unspoken explanation that He had not come to destroy sinners, but to restore them, physically, mentally, and spiritually. He had “come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly” (John 10:10). Jesus’ answer to John’s question, “Art thou he that should come?” was, so to speak, “Yes, but I am not the kind of Messiah you expected.”

Tuesday – Jesus Heals

Matthew 12:15-21 Common English Bible 15 Jesus knew what they intended to do, so he went away from there. Large crowds followed him, and he healed them all. 16 But he ordered them not to spread the word about him, 17 so that what was spoken through Isaiah the prophet might be fulfilled: 18 Look, my Servant whom I chose, the one I love, in whom I find great pleasure. I’ll put my Spirit upon him, and he’ll announce judgment to the Gentiles. 19 He won’t argue or shout, and nobody will hear his voice in the streets. 20 He won’t break a bent stalk, and he won’t snuff out a smoldering wick, until he makes justice win.  21 And the Gentiles will put their hope in his name.

Matthew 12:15 COMMENTARY BY ADAM CLARKE It is the part of prudence and Christian charity not to provoke, if possible, the blind and the hardened; and to take from them the occasion of sin. A man of God is not afraid of persecution; but, as his aim is only to do good, by proclaiming everywhere the grace of the Lord Jesus, he departs from any place when he finds the obstacles to the accomplishment of his end are, humanly speaking, invincible, and that he cannot do good without being the means of much evil. Yield to the stream when you cannot stem it.

Wednesday – Clearing the Temple

Matthew 21:12-16 New Living Translation 12 Jesus entered the Temple and began to drive out all the people buying and selling animals for sacrifice. He knocked over the tables of the money changers and the chairs of those selling doves. 13 He said to them, “The Scriptures declare, ‘My Temple will be called a house of prayer,’ but you have turned it into a den of thieves!” 14 The blind and the lame came to him in the Temple, and he healed them. 15 The leading priests and the teachers of religious law saw these wonderful miracles and heard even the children in the Temple shouting, “Praise God for the Son of David.” But the leaders were indignant. 16 They asked Jesus, “Do you hear what these children are saying?” “Yes,” Jesus replied. “Haven’t you ever read the Scriptures? For they say, ‘You have taught children and infants to give you praise.

Matthew 21:13 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES The first part of this verse only is quoted from Isaiah. The rest, "but ye have made it a den of thieves," was added by Jesus, denoting their abuse of the temple. Thieves and robbers live in dens and caves. Judea was then much infested with them. In their dens, thieves devise and practise iniquity. These buyers and sellers imitated them. They made the temple a place of gain; they cheated and defrauded; they took advantage of the poor, and by their being under a necessity of purchasing these articles for sacrifice, they robbed them, by selling what they had at an enormous price.

Mark 11:15-19 The Living Bible 15 When they arrived back in Jerusalem, he went to the Temple and began to drive out the merchants and their customers, and knocked over the tables of the money changers and the stalls of those selling doves, 16 and stopped everyone from bringing in loads of merchandise. 17 He told them, “It is written in the Scriptures, ‘My Temple is to be a place of prayer for all nations,’ but you have turned it into a den of robbers.” 18 When the chief priests and other Jewish leaders heard what he had done, they began planning how best to get rid of him. Their problem was their fear of riots because the people were so enthusiastic about Jesus’ teaching. 19 That evening as usual they left the city.

Luke 19:45-48 God’s Word Translation 45 Jesus went into the temple courtyard and began to throw out those who were selling things there. 46 He said to them, “Scripture says, ‘My house will be a house of prayer,’ but you have turned it into a gathering place for thieves.” 47 Jesus taught in the temple courtyard every day. The chief priests, the experts in Moses’ Teachings, and the leaders of the people looked for a way to kill him. 48 But they could not find a way to do it, because all the people were eager to hear him.

Luke 19:45 COMMENTARY BY WILLIAM BURKITT In the court of the Gentiles, the outward court of the temple, there was a public mart or market kept, where were sold oxen, sheep, and doves, for sacrifice, which otherwise the people must have brought up along with them from their houses: as a pretended ease therefore to the people, the priests ordered these things to be sold hard by the altar; but our blessed Saviour being justly offended at this profanation of his Father's house, cast the buyers and sellers out of the temple: teaching us, that there is a special reverence due to God's house, both for the Owner's sake, and for the service sake: nothing but holiness can become the place where God is worshipped in the beauty of holiness.

John 2:13-17 English Standard Version 13 The Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 In the temple he found those who were selling oxen and sheep and pigeons, and the money-changers sitting there. 15 And making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen. And he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables. 16 And he told those who sold the pigeons, “Take these things away; do not make my Father's house a house of trade.” 17 His disciples remembered that it was written, “Zeal for your house will consume me.”

John 2:15 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES This whip was made as an emblem of authority, and also for the purpose of driving from the temple the cattle which had been brought there for sale. There is no evidence that he used any violence to the men engaged in that unhallowed traffic. The original word implies that these cords were made of twisted rushes or reeds-- probably the ancient material for making ropes.

Thursday – The Cross of Christ

Isaiah 53:4-6 New Living Translation 4 Yet it was our weaknesses he carried; it was our sorrows that weighed him down. And we thought his troubles were a punishment from God, a punishment for his own sins! 5 But he was pierced for our rebellion, crushed for our sins. He was beaten so we could be whole. He was whipped so we could be healed. 6 All of us, like sheep, have strayed away. We have left God’s paths to follow our own. Yet the Lord laid on him the sins of us all.

Isaiah 53:4 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Our griefs. Verses 4–6 emphasize the vicarious nature of Christ’s sufferings and death. The fact that it was for us, and not for Himself, that He suffered and died is reiterated nine times in these verses, and again in vs. 8, 11. He suffered in our stead. The pain, humiliation, and abuse that we deserve, He took upon Himself.

Isaiah 53:6 COMMENTARY JOHN WESLEY NOTES That which was due for all the sins of all mankind, which must needs be so heavy a load, that if he had not been God as well as man, he must have sunk under the burden.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.