Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
Gregory Matthews

Apologetics

Gregory Matthews

See:

https://spectrummagazine.org/views/2019/limits-apologetics

The above article goes back to Plato, the Sophists and others.  I attrated my attention due to the fact that a frequent contributor to the discussions in this forum is a Roman Catholic Apologist.  I thought it might be of interest to hear what he has to say in response to this article.

However, the article soon turns its focus to we SDAs and clearly points the finger at us and what we sometimes do in debating a point that we believe should be made.   So, my Catholic friend, the the focus of this article is not on you.  It is on us.

NOTE:  I will also state that I appreciate the integrity that our Apologist has demonstrated here.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

phkrause

I think its a interesting article, but also, at lest to me, it seems he's trying to defend everyone else except Christians??

Gustave

That's an interesting article and I'll have to read it over again a few more times to comment on it. There was a lot of truth in what is being said there. There is enough asserted I want to make sure I get my head wrapped around what the author is saying in total. Thought provoking to be sure. 

Gregory Matthews

The following, I consider to be a seminal thought found near the end of the article:

. . .hopefully we can agree on the legitimacy of Plato’s concern that separating truth-seeking from position-defense is dangerous. And in religion this happens when apologetics is misused, with “Gorgian” techniques employed to advocate for positions that could not otherwise be sustained if a deeper probe was to be undertaken. If we believers really are truth-seekers (a hard-enough question for self-examination) then, while in the short-run we might have some personal confusion and ambiguity, it is too high a price to pay when bad apologetics results in false security by believing too strongly in that which is either mistaken or needs revision.

Gustave

I definitely agree with the quoted sections above. I've been guilty plenty of times being on the wrong side of it as well.