Kingdom of Adventistan
8thdaypriest

Covered by water

JoeMo
On 9/8/2019 at 6:42 PM, 8thdaypriest said:

Adam and Eve were already outside of the Garden.  They had probably already produced several children, by the time Cain murdered Able.  The LORD had commanded they fill the earth - with people.  Cain could have assumed that many descendants of Able might try to kill him.  The LORD did say that death was the penalty for murder.  Gen 9:6  "whoever sheds man's blood, by man his blood shall be shed."

A couple thoughts:

There in nothing in Genesis 4 - 6 that indicates that Abel had any children.  The Bible records the descendants of Cain; so it makes sense that it would also document the descendants of Abel if there were any. Nor is there anything to indicate that Adam and Eve had any children between the death of Abel and the birth of Seth. when Adam was 130 years old.  In fact, Gen. 5:4 says that after Seth was born Adam and Eve had other sons and daughters.

Also, the scripture verses you gave all came from a time period after Cain had killed Abel.

On 9/8/2019 at 6:42 PM, 8thdaypriest said:

You asked why Cain built "cities" - for whom?   He could have built what later became cities.   Same thing is seen in a few other places describing later building sites.

Those "later building sites" were probably cities built on top of the ruins of previous cities.

You used some "maybe"s and "probably"s in your post.  Without Biblical evidence, maybe and probably is as close as either of us can get.  Preflood Biblical history is pretty sketchy.  Even though the stories in non-Biblical pre-flood mythology is corrupted with a pantheon of diverse gods and demigods ( the Bible describes them as fallen angels and Nephilim) rather than the one true God,  they nevertheless document a pre-flood, flood, and post-flood history of scores of ancient civilizations all over the world.  I think we would be wise to at least look at some of these "myths" - especially those involving the ancient civilizations of the Middle East and Europe (e.g., Sumerian, Egyptian,  Greek, Roman) to gain a better understanding of pre-flood history.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.

8thdaypriest
14 hours ago, JoeMo said:

You used some "maybe"s and "probably"s in your post. 

I was thinking of a passage highlighted in the video "Evidence for the Exodus".  I couldn't remember the exact reference.  It said the Israelites built the City of Ramses, or storehouses of Ramses (can't remember which).   It was called something else when they first built it, and only became the city of Ramses later.  I'll try to find it when I get time.

8thdaypriest

If Eve had only three sons by the time of Seth, she certainly wasn't very fertile (or Adam wasn't very interested).   I've often wondered if Noah had other older sons, besides the three who went onto the Ark.  

JoeMo
3 hours ago, 8thdaypriest said:

If Eve had only three sons by the time of Seth, she certainly wasn't very fertile (or Adam wasn't very interested).   I've often wondered if Noah had other older sons, besides the three who went onto the Ark.  

In a similar vein, I have wondered whether Lot's wife had other children left behind in Sodom.  Could that be why she looked back?

JoeMo
3 hours ago, 8thdaypriest said:

I was thinking of a passage highlighted in the video "Evidence for the Exodus". 

"So they put slave masters over them to oppress them with forced labor, and they built Pithom and Rameses as store cities for Pharaoh." (Ex. 1:11)

Some non-Biblical references confirm this and some don't.

8thdaypriest
19 hours ago, JoeMo said:

"So they put slave masters over them to oppress them with forced labor, and they built Pithom and Rameses as store cities for Pharaoh." (Ex. 1:11)

Many believe that Rameses was not the Pharaoh of the Exodus.  So the Israelites did not build them "for" Rameses.  They built them "for" Pharaoh.  The cities later became known as Pithom and Rameses.