Kingdom of Adventistan

History/Sociology Of Canadian Religion

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldnt be surprised if some people were hoping I would forget about this topic. It may surprise them that I was hoping so too...I have been in research mode; but some parts are not pretty, and the more I research, the more it seems like something that should be shared...the story needs to get out. For this post, we will be looking at a horror story from the past, that is actually, also, our future:

Storys About "MAC" AND "KAP" (there will be 2 or 3 stories about MAC & KAP)

Its my understanding that in the early days when The United States of America was first being formed that the courts of the land had declared that The USA was a "Christian Nation." And from there, the US Constitution was formed and ratified. But ever since, the largest single engagement in a war of the creeds which for years has gone on in the United States, has ever been the bane of "true religion," inciting, literally, one fight after the next. It doesn't appear that anyone was really contesting that the US was a Christian nation; it seems more related to what kind of Christian nation it was, or should be.

The legacy of all of the corporate evangelism industry is nothing to be proud of, and yet, the denominational combat is gibbering all the way to the midnight hour of Bible prophecy.

I recently read an interesting document that might help us to asservate the true nature of the battle. BIG Church cannot seem to practice what it preaches, and historically has proven, time and again, that there will be no end to the conflict, until someone is The Boss. The document I am referring to is actually a 345 pg book called:

The Wars Of The Ungodly
by

REUBEN MAURY
NEW YORK by
ROBERT M. McBRIDE & COMPANY

It starts out with an ancient-looking illustration of IRISH PROTESTANTS VS. IRISH CATHOLICS, purportedly in ELM PARK, NEW YORK CITY, JULY 12, 1870. From this illustration one might guess the nature of this conflict but the details in the book are excruciating, to say the least. The author sets us down to a place in the early 1920s where a local paper boy is calling our from a street corner, trying to sell his newspapers to passers by:

"RED HOT papers, wot y' readin', wot y' readin'
-wot '11 it be, Mac? Tr'boon? Noose? Sure, here
y' are."
" Say listen, Mac, when y' see that red light go
on it means stop, see? Funny some o' you guys
never get wise t' that ."
" I do' know where this train goes to in Brooklyn.
Better ask a guard, Mac."
Mac : substitute for Sir in the brogue of democratic
America ; synonym to Chief and Boss and
Cap'n. Mac : who among us all, of male gender,
has not been called Mac at least a thousand times
in his adult life? And Mac : in addition to being one
of the commonest coins in the lip currency of the
street, the peg whereon is hung one of the most
edifying legends ever to circulate through the
lodge rooms and the cigar stores of the North
American Republic..."

The narrative of this tale had captured me and made me feel as though I was back in time with Scrooge and the like; except, it was in America, of course. The author explained some disturbing facts about something this paper boy was saying; and Ill just quote the text to illustrate:

"...there is a legend concerning MAC. That simple monosyllable has a dread cabalistic meaning,did you but know where to seek it and whom to ask. Provided you are not a communicant of the Roman Catholic church, or, if you are, provided you can conceal your allegiance to that faith, you may hear the tale for the asking wherever two or three are gathered together in the name of No-Popery to chant a hymn of hate .

The story goes that MAC is a password ; that it is tossed from Catholic to Catholic this broad land over, (meaning America), in the same fashion as was the Junkers' toast to Der Tag in the years before Der Tag came up in smoke and thunder ; and that this password stems from a conspiracy, black as night, to gnaw loose the foundation stones of the nation and establish the Roman Catholic church as the religion of America with the Pope set above the President in power temporal and power spiritual alike .

Wouldst know the answer to the rebus that is MAC? Then split asunder the letters composing the word, and dignify each with capital letter and period,thus : M.A.C. When you know the syllables proper to be added to each letter, the solution unwinds its mummy wrappings before your popping eyes.

MAC - so runs the legend - has but one sinister meaning ; and that meaning is:

MAKE AMERICA CATHOLIC." (again?)

I decided to make this post separate from the rest of this amazing story, which actually isn't as "dated" as some might like to think. In the next post, (hopefully on the week end) we will look at how this aforementioned "denominational combat" has made it's way into Canada, and affected The Canadian Church at large.

Now, can you guess what "K.A.P." is?

Please dont make assumptions about where this story line is going. I can guarantee that it isn't what most may be expecting. Until next time...(this week end).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 1:32 PM, BlessedMan said:

Over and over, denominated competition and religious brinkmanship has ruined the lives of thousands; especially our First Nations people; and what makes it worse is that there are no tangible signs that this competition has abated, or will ever be a thing of the past.

I was reminded of this in another topic that @Gregory started elsewhere on the forum. A quote from the article he cited:

Pan-Africanism views Christianity as a Trojan horse that facilitates a western agenda. Younger Africans, unlike their forefathers who would gobble down everything the mnali (missionary) would say as a direct instruction from God, have the courage to ask questions about whether Christianity is a relevant and necessary element of the African experience.

How much of modern-day Adventism in Africa is a direct influence of the views and cultures of the early Western missionaries who first settled in Chief Soluswe’s lands in 1894? 

https://atoday.org/how-missionaries-shaped-african-adventism/

This was part of an African Pastor's response to his little girl who asked: "Daddy, is Jesus a white man?"

I haven't forgotten about this topic, I have been in research mode for a bit, and hope to be back at it in a couple of days.  I have learned a lot of shocking things that I had no idea of when I first started this topic. Of course, its not all bad either, and eventually, I hope to give equal coverage to "both sides," as if there should even be "both sides."

PS EDIT: here is a link to the article that Gregory cited in another topic here. YES, this does have direct correlation to the topic at hand of Church In Canada. Till next time. :)

Edited by BlessedMan
add link & PS
On 12/31/2019 at 10:38 AM, BlessedMan said:

NEXT POST: The identity of KAP coming up soon!

We left off above with a brief accounting of MAC, and are now awaiting the accompanying story of KAP.

A warm up question: What do we do if orthodoxy is my doxy and heterodoxy is your doxy?

Enter MAC and KAP. In some ways the MAC label doesnt really fit. History shows that North America did get its start as a (primarily) Roman Catholic colony. And I use the word colony, with a purpose in mind. But more on that later. Suffice it to say that North American history shows that at some point, North America "converted" over to Protestantism, that is, if we mark Protestant Controlled Government as an indicator of whether a nation is "Catholic" or "Protestant." In this post, I am not addressing how The Protestants pulled it off; just the fact that they did. Above, we covered some facts to show that MAC was a euphemism/acronym for "Make America Catholic."  I can imagine that some have already figured out who KAP is.

Perhaps, KAP has the opposite "doxy" as MAC?

For the rest of the story on KAP, we can turn back now to the book I have mentioned above: THE WARS OF THE GODLY, Chapter One

Some giant brain in one or another of these groups has worked out a counter-signal, a talisman for embattled Protestants on the walls of Zion, a charm of the tongue equal unto Mac in occult potency and beauteous simplicity. Protestants who are Protestants - not the " weak-kneed, lilylivered,Pope-loving, so-called Protestants " so detested of the purists who edit the anti-Catholic and Klan papers - are now greeting all that portion of the population unknown to them by name, and are signing vitriolic letters for newspaper publication in which every one from the Rev . Dr. S. Parkes Cadman to Calvin Coolidge is accused of taking orders direct from the Vatican, with the monosyllable " Kap." Any reader who has followed with care the unscrambling of Mac should be able to dissect Kap " MAC " AND " KAP " without much assistance.

Not to prolong the suspense, it is disclosed that Kap, K.A.P., means KEEP AMERICA PROTESTANT.  From the book we are examing on MAC & KAP:

Thus the battle lines are drawn ; thus the watchwords, real and fanciful, gibber around the night. What does it all mean? Where did it all begin, and what, if any, will be its end?

When this was written, the United States of America was driving hell-bent into a national political fight on a religious question, so-called . It is hard to imagine Jesus Christ or Gautama Buddha or St. Francis of Assisi damning professors of creeds different from their own as idolators and traitors, or as meddling in Massachusetts politics, or as urging their governments to step on other governments because the latter had stepped on their religious partisans . The word " religious " in this volume is applied to the Catholic-Protestant
fight, not because it is the proper adjective to use, but because it is the word most people do use to denote what goes forward when Christians make war on one another.

A river of religious antagonism has flowed down through our history since Protestants first penetrated the American continent and took root therein . We in 1928 merely ride the latest floodcrest of that river . The flood will subside presently, the river will growl below ground for perhaps a generation. This volume is an attempt to trace the course the stream has followed.

The first Protestant church in America was founded at Jamestown, Virginia, in 1607, or one hundred fifteen years after Columbus' first voyage. "Representatives of our ancient Church of England" did the deed, and so fired the opening gun in that war of the sects for control of the American soul which is still being waged . The Pilgrims brought their non-conformist religion to Massachusetts thirteen years later. Every Protestant coming from England to America in those years was necessarily a blood foe of Catholicity. Elizabeth's forty-five-year reign was lately over. During that period good Queen Bess had caused to be hanged, drawn and quartered one hundred eighty Catholics as traitors to the nation- which score equaled one-half the number of Protestants burned as heretics in five years under Mary Tudor, Elizabeth's Catholic sister and predecessor. It was a life imprisonment offense in England to possess an Agnus Dei or a rosary, a cross or a religious picture, which the Pope or any Catholic missionary had blessed . That was but one of Elizabeth's laws against popery. In short, the Church of England had the papists in England flat upon their backs ; and its delegates to America grimly purposed to secure in the same position such Catholics as should show face in the British New World.

CATHOLICS in England, in the early 16oo's, were fully as anxious to flee to America for religious liberty as were the dissenters whom the Church of England was oppressing well-nigh as heartily as it oppressed the Catholics. Every schoolboy knows of the royal grant of Maryland to Cecilius Calvert, Lord Baltimore, in 1633, and the founding of that colony under him and his brother Leonard. Not every one knows that George Calvert, the father of Leonard and Cecilius, had led a body of both Catholic and Protestant colonists to Newfoundland four years before the Maryland grant. George allowed his Protestants a minister and his Catholics a priest. The Protestant cleric shortly went home to England, where he complained against Calvert for allowing mass to be said in Newfoundland."

I have quite a number of books and papers about the history & sociology of church in Canada. The one I am reading now has this to say:

"As the American Jesuit theologian Avery Cardinal Dulles has observed, every model of the Church entails a distinct approach to evangelization and to mission work.[13] First, however, it is necessary to review the relevant historical background from the earlier era of Jesuit missions to the First Nations peoples of Canada prior to the suppression of the Jesuits in 1773.

Pre-Suppression Jesuit Missions to the Native Peoples of Canada The year 2011 marked the 400th anniversary of the arrival of the first Jesuits in Canada. From 1611 until the worldwide suppression of the Society of Jesus, Jesuits laboured among the Algonkian-speaking peoples in the maritime and central regions of Canada. They also worked among the Iroquoian linguistic groups in what are now the provinces of Quebec and Ontario. With the demise and dispersal of the Wendat Confederacy in Huronia in the mid 1600s, Jesuits served among its remnants at L’Ancienne-Lorette, near present-day Quebec City.

In the Great Lakes region, Jesuits also laboured with members of the Three Fires Confederacy, many of whom kept in close relationship with remnants of the Huron, who had been their allies and trading partners. Jesuits also founded mission centres in other parts of the province of Quebec, including among the Mohawk at Kahnawake. With the recent canonization of Kateri Tekakwitha in October 2012, the latter site has regained its prominence in honour of the first aboriginal female saint, whose own bloodlines united the two great linguistic groups of eastern and central North America.[14]" (Builders of a Nation: Jesuits in English Canada . Novalis. Kindle Edition)

Personally, I would question a lot of things regarding the so-called "missionary" work of both Roman Catholics & Protestants in Canada. I have serious questions about their branding and claim to "nation-building."  It is obviously a very deep and wide topic, so more will be examined in a future post.

As we have discussed above, this is how, for the most part, that Roman Catholics got started in Canada. In another post, I will cover in more detail, those early, formative years of the Roman Catholic presence in Canada. And don't wprry, I wont forget the Protestants.

Apparently, those "doxies"  do mean something, and it is horrifying to discover what.

Edited by BlessedMan
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 7:03 PM, BlessedMan said:

As we have discussed above, this is how, for the most part, that Roman Catholics got started in Canada. In another post, I will cover in more detail, those early, formative years of the Roman Catholic presence in Canada

This post will be done in several parts. Part One now, and more later tonight.

At one point, Indigenous people’s from Ottawa area were supposedly “attracted to the fur trade” activities of the Catholic settlements in and near what was to be the future city of Detroit. This is what I have come to refer to as The Loyalist Pipeline To Canada.

Today Catholic priests still fondly portray the original efforts at “evangelizing Indigenous peoples” by glowing accounts of the “brave missionaries” who “evangelized” Canadian and other Indigenous Peoples.

“After Jolliet, where more brave explorers would follow the narrow strait beyond Lake Huron, as did equally brave Catholic missionaries.” Source

It is my opinion, after some of the research I have been doing, that there could potentially be one area where the church could use less “separation of church and state, as opposed to what the church does now. Please, hear me out before you judge that statement.

B/W Photodude is actually the one who is actually gave me this idea, when he stated in another topic that “being called atheist isn’t all bad,”

First, one disclaimer.

“I totally reject and disagree with the Roman Catholic versions of “the common good,” and their dogma and practice regarding “union of church and state.” IMO it is very wrong and continues to this, our day and age, to do enormous harm to society, world-wide.” The religious brinkmanship there is undeniable.

In terms more local, Canada officially became a nation-state in 1867 by The BNA Act. What this BNA Act actually did was to take Canada, and go from a nation to nation situation, and straight into “a ward of the state” disaster. This dramatic shift of events and agency for Indigenous People in Canada, as some of us know, was and is frightening at best.

There was an express policy in the BNA Act consisting of forced “cultural assimilation.” Attempts to at least partially improve this terrible situation were made within the auspices of the so called Canada Indian Act of 1876, which, IMO, just consolidated a lot of the related situations and laws under one roof, so to speak. None of this legislation really served to help Canadian Indigenous Peoples in any positive or meaningful ways that could be called “good.” And this is what I mean when I say that there may have been times that should have had less separation of church and state just to stop all the church people from killing and colonizing that they conveniently still call evangelism.

From the very beginning, as far back as sometime in the 1600s, Roman Catholic designates to Canada reflected a constant brinkmanship, in a barrage of strident and usually rather forceful “cultural assimilation,” of their Indigenous counterparts in North America. Those “good old days" in Upper Canada or beyond were anything but after the arrival of “the church.”

Once in Canada, there was apparently also a lot of arguing, protesting, and demanding on the part of the Canadian Roman Catholic designates because they kept saying they wanted “what they had.” Meaning their American counterparts from where many of them came from. Some historical documents do reflect this wacky example of their “missionary work.” Always wanting what they perceived their American counterparts had. At one point, when they felt their "missionary" work had built up enough momentum, they started to conclude that they finally had as much as them. Meaning the first permanent RC residence in Canada.

While it was then a fashionable view at the time to treat North America as a separate entity “within the universal church,” it was not so fashionable, IMO, when the Priests would promote the “union of church and state.” Such “union” was apparently the kind of thing which simply gave them even more clout in their “ministry” of forced cultural assimilation. Efforts to promote the union of church and state made and makes them complicit in “crimes against humanity;” IMO. That’s exactly what it is called now when others do it, so I don’t see why there is such deliberation in bringing the perpetrators to justice. It is likely, of course, that there are not too many of that ilk still alive. BUT justice should still be sought, and “apologies” simply won’t cut it. They should be made to pay the costs of setting things straight and bringing about the massive supports that Canadian Indigenous need. Especially for things like clean drinking water. IMO, Britain, other countries complicit, along with Rome should be brought to justice, and made to pay some of the costs that The Canadian Government is shouldering.

(TBC with references in next post)

Edited by BlessedMan

Part Two

There are some things coming up in this topic regarding Protestants, secular, and other sources/people’s regarding history and sociology of church in Canada. This is not intended as a pointed drive at any, one, particular group or church. It is intended as real life coverage of real events and history. With, of course, a few IMOs.

Roman Catholic Quebec Clergy appears to have expressed a deep sense of alienation from “civilization,” back in those early years. It is plausible to imagine that some of them indeed faced hardships and privations when they came out here to Canada. History shows us that the “apostolic delegates” themselves played a major role in shaping such a perspective, and it was seemingly based upon their volatile desires and efforts in shaping and reinforcing their desires, Papal directives, and efforts to bring about a complete “union of church and state” in Canada. They still call this “missionary work.”

“Falconie,” for one example, was specifically designated by “The Holy See” to come to Canada in 1899 to establish the very first “permanent” Roman Catholic presence in the form of a residence. The “Church of Rome did indeed, quite literally imposed Falconie’s ideology on “union of church and state” upon everyone under Falconie’s charge. Which of course, included Canadian Indigenous. The blatant spectacles of so-called “unity” that were displayed to the public, as one would do for loaves of bread on a store shelf, were called “conversions” and almost always left a bitter taste in everyone’s mouth. These force-fed cultural attitudes of course, had to have come from the very top on down, and accordingly include any and all Roman Catholic involvement with the early Canadian and Indigenous Peoples. Why on earth  they think they need to be in charge of everyone like this; I’ll never know. Those answers now are history, and those answers are truly scary.

Apparently, the British Government of the day conspired with Rome over what they called “educational reforms.” IN CANADA, and we all now know very well just how that all turned out; as well as how this collusion between Britain and Rome brought about the Canadian “Residential School” system. It was called “residential” because the Indigenous children were literally ripped out of their parent’s arms, and taken to the “schools” to be “converted.

The resultant denominated bickering and religious brinkmanship were the hallmark of all such past “evangelism,” which to this day is still the gold-standard of current apologetics, deftly designed to force "conversion" to “our way or the highway.” Sometimes, that “highway” was actually death. IMO, the church has brought largely cruel torment to Canada, and those seeds they planted before Canadian confederation, are still sprouting today. Those "brave missionaries" do not tell the whole story so well.

In a book entitled “Rome In Canada,” we are told that

“it was necessary to make “educational achievement” a prime condition for “promotion” to the episcopate;”

That was the one, major way that Rome’s “educational reforms” were thought of within their coalition of sorts, that worked tirelessly towards the formation of Canadian “Residential” Schools.

TBC in another post, next post will talk about "Residential" Schools, and other related things.

Edited by BlessedMan

Part Three

The Jesuits came to Canada sometime in the 1600s, and it appears that they started the to alarm the general public (mostly Roman Catholic parishioners), and by around 1750 many Catholics were getting really upset with The Jesuit Order because of the ways that the Jesuits were (and still do) promoting “reason over faith;” and the Jesuit-stated “gospel” of so-called “tolerance” and “material welfare.” Eventually, The Jesuits, in Canada at least, were thought of as mean, deceptive, devious, and manipulative. And THAT was by Catholics themselves!

Even Catholics in other countries at the time (Spain, France) suspected The Jesuits of plotting to over-throw their governments. (see Builder Of A Nation, by Jaques Monet, pg 278).

Roman Catholics, in coming to Canada, apparently played the part of colonialism well and the image they projected, and still project in their “apologetics” still reflects this unfortunate modus operandi, and it’s tragic results. The outcome was/is nothing short of horrible for Canadian Indigenous Peoples.

As I have been researching Roman Catholic history sources, I have discovered how Pope Clement XIII resolutely and blatantly defended the Jesuit Order to his dying breath; and in his said defence of The Jesuit Order then, we see  also reflected within the general body of Catholics, the SAME curdling tenets  of Roman Catholic “evangelism;” in Canada.

For a few years the Popes had banned The Jesuit Order, but they have since been "re-instated" with full honors.

I apologize if I disappoint anyone by not presenting a Jesuit Conspiracy Theory, but the object of my mentioning all this is only to illustrate some of the current Catholic colonizing agencies and models of “evangelism.” It appears that The Second Coming of The Jesuits to Canada happened sometime in 1842, and that since then, they have largely assumed the role of “Parish Priests.”

They set up shop first in two towns, La Prairie (Quebec) , and then Sandwich. (Western Ontario – Windsor and area) Especially did they become prominent in English speaking Canada. Catholicism came to Canada, and coldly presumed “ownership," dispensed land grants, and/or accepted land grants from the government; and sported themselves as “builders of a nation.” Their current “apologetics” reflects this kind of tale-tinkering throughout early Canadian History.

Of course, they did some good. But how much is hotly debated in some circles.

While its true they did dominate the ecclesial AND cultural scene of early Upper Canada, Eastern Canada, (and I underline the word dominate), it remains very unclear how they actually "built our nation." 

Canada, in her formative years was in fact predominantly a Roman Catholic nation, with almost every facet of life controlled by the local Priests, and always at the lead of directives from the Vatican.

And incidentally, controlling "every facet of the people's lives" is something we are hearing more about when it comes to "climate" change, and the solid Roman Catholic support of same.

I find it very disturbing that the same colonizing ideas of the Vatican from days of old have not really gone anywhere; in fact, they have presented as of late, in newer, modern forms, but with the exact same ideology. Current stories, doctrines, apologies etc are far from doing true justice to this highly sought-after Forced Assimilation to the proposed dominance of global Society.

Some very interesting, related points re Protestants, and others coming up asap. TBC

Edited by BlessedMan
1 hour ago, BlessedMan said:

I find it very disturbing that the same colonizing ideas of the Vatican from days of old have not really gone anywhere; in fact, they have presented as of late, in newer, modern forms, but with the exact same ideology. Current stories, doctrines, apologies etc are far from doing true justice to this highly sought-after Forced Assimilation to the proposed dominance of global Society.

The Canadian people that the Roman Church controlled likely had a larger hand in “building a nation;” than the Church claims they did. While I am aware of the standard apologetic responses about “schools, medical work, community services, Protestants do it too," etc, which I know have done some good to some people; I remain very confused about the end game of said charitable works. Roman Catholics in Canada that I have talked to, including more than one Priest, and even with Gustave on this forum,  still think that everyone “needs to be exposed” to their Roman truth, and to become, in someway, someday, a “converted” Catholic. To this day, the average Catholic still views “Protestants” as “not having the fullness of faith.” ("us and them" being well-established by same) “Protestantism is a rejection of authority,” they like to say. A few Catholics seem to cede that Protestants don't all do this. Some Catholics even still, do things like Baptize someone elses Protestant children into The Catholic Church without the parent’s knowledge to “make sure they are saved.”

I think everyone does know what the general Catholic attitude is towards “other religions” And that is indeed one of my points, that current Catholic “evangelism is essentially, “us and them.” They are trained to think that they have to at some point “convert us to their beliefs.” (Read Post 6 on this topic ) Not too unlike some Adventists! The iconic, “us and them” mentality of “The Three Angel’s Message,” has been lifted to moronic heights in some circles. (more on that in another post). But this was certainly the prevailing attitude in Canada’s early experiences with Roman Catholic “evangelism:” “Us and them.” With the "US" always "winning," of course. As you will see if you check out the links cited above, some of them do give surprisingly wholesome answers too!

As early as 1640, French explorers, fur traders and voyageurs from Montreal were commonplace along the river. The first known European to travel the Detroit River corridor is Jolliet in 1669, followed by Dollier and Galinee and LaSalle. In 1701, Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac and his soldiers planted the fleur-de-lis flag, proclaimed the territory for France and built Fort Pontchartrain du Détroit (Detroit). Here, they established the first European settlement in the Windsor-Detroit area. Upon his arrival, Cadillac invited Indigenous groups such as the Huron (Wyandot) to establish villages in the area.

The Jesuits established a mission referred to as the Mission of Our Lady the Assumption Among the Hurons on the south shore of the Detroit River in 1728 near la Pointe de Montréal . It became the parish of Our Lady of the Assumption in 1767, ministering to both the Huron converts and the ever-growing number of French colonists. It is the oldest continuous parish in Ontario. The area known as Petite Côte (present day LaSalle), was comprised of narrow undeveloped farms granted to 27 or 28 French families (the first being Louis Gervais in 1749). Prior to 1760, France governed the settlements on both sides of the water, but the French and their Indigenous allies were defeated by the British and their Indigenous allies in the Seven Years’ War. The fleur-de-lis that had flown over the military base was replaced with the Union Jack.

Early British Rule

Displeased with British rule, Indigenous people in the Detroit River area rebelled against them in what is commonly referred to as Pontiac’s War or Pontiac’s Rebellion. Under the leadership of Pontiac, Indigenous groups laid a 6-month siege to Fort Detroit from May 9 to October 31, 1763.

“Peace was threatened again when thirteen unhappy colonies declared independence from Great Britain in 1776, but Upper Canada remained loyal to the Crown. Fort Detroit was far from the battle lines. Forgotten in the Treaty of Paris that brought peace to Britain and the freshly minted United States in 1783, Britain continued to control the upper Great Lakes from Fort Detroit. The territory on the north side of the Detroit River was finally ceded to the United States under the conditions of the Jay Treaty in 1796. Details of that treaty specified that those who chose to remain British subjects had twelve months to move to the south side of the river.

When Detroit gained its independence from British rule in 1796, British authority moved across the river and Sandwich became the Legislative seat of government of the Western District of Upper Canada (Ontario) by royal decree of King George III. Court sessions, once held in Detroit, were moved to l’Assomption where a small house was converted into a jail. The shift of authority brought numerous British loyalists, (from the US) to Sandwich.” “The American Civil War (1861-1865), became the source of an unexpected economic boom in Sandwich.” (SOURCE)

In 1939 when Canada entered WW2, 25,000 men enlisted from Essex County alone to join the war effort and “fight for the Canadian way of life.”

At some point The Ambassador’s Bridge, which I used to walk across when I was young, was built in Windsor/Sandwich areas. This is the approximate point in history whereby a lot of “Loyalists” (including very early Adventists) started entering Canada. They largely entered Canada as refugees.  The same kind of religious brinkmanship had reached frightening levels in America around this time; but to be fair, not all of that was "religious." As we all know now, these and other things, over the years, have lessened the Catholic influence in some areas; but at what cost, will be some of the focus of the next post.

In Canada now, it is common that whenever anyone, news media or others, talk about “the church,” they usually are just talking about The Roman Catholic Church. National Geographic, Time, and many others all do this, especially around Christmas or Easter. One of the many reasons that I alluded to above re the former ways of doing “missionary” work have not really gone away. They have simply assumed a new framework, to give the appearance of modernity. I doubt there is anyone in the room who can show why this is not so.

Edited by BlessedMan
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 4:59 PM, BlessedMan said:

The Canadian people that the Roman Church controlled likely had a larger hand in “building a nation;” than the Church claims they did. While I am aware of the standard apologetic responses about “schools, medical work, community services,

Apparently, "Evangelism" by Electric Chair Was Part Of The Roster in Canada's formative years.

I was so shocked when I discovered this while researching pertinent history, that I decided to just make this a separate post, as I have more to say for the next one.

According to The Fifth Estate; St. Anne’s Indian Residential School in Northern Ontario was a place of horrific abuse and crimes against children that took place over decades. For years, records detailing the abuse were kept hidden — from survivors who needed them for their compensation claims. In Reconciliation Betrayed: The Horrors of St. Anne’s, we show how CBC News obtain thousands of those very documents which expose the fuller picture of the abuse than was previously acknowledged.

Edited by BlessedMan

Non-indigenous residential school survivor speaks about his childhood at St. Anne's. Ron Gosbee isn't Indigenous, but as a child, he attended a residential school. He describes what life was like attending St. Anne's, in northern Ontario, with white skin.

I realize some of what I am posting is pretty dark stuff; but its important to me to know and make known what the history of "church" was and is in Canada. I have always felt that God has "led me" into the church; I still do, but some of this history speaks volumes about where "church" in Canada was at while "God was leading me."

This nasty history sometimes reads like a Stephen King movie; and its created a sort of cognitive dissonance for me. Its left me with many questions about "the church" in general, and exactly who or what was leading who.

I really wish I would have known this history BEFORE working in certain evangelism activities; it really would have helped in a number of ways, as I did work with some Indigenous people. Most of the people I worked with were beautiful people, we had many wonderful times together. I think it was because I always went to see them; without a specific agenda. The whole reason I got started in that area of ministry was because an Indigenous person that I worked with had seen how I worked with the people we were looking after, and they asked me to come out and read the Bible to one of their members who was dying of cancer, and was afraid.

For me; it was a daunting task. I got into trouble more than once "from the church"  because I consistently

"didn't go for baptisms."

Its rather disturbing to realize that all of the "daunting" part of that work I was asked to do was because of people in my own church. Pushing the white man's religion at people who just wanted to know God, not change their culture and who they were.

It was also because of the church that I was able to do what I did out there. The literature evangelism training helped me to see how to meet people where they were at.

(1905) M.H. 143, 144
     791. Christ's method alone will give true success in reaching the people. The Saviour mingled with men as one who desired their good. He showed His sympathy for them, ministered to their needs, and won their confidence. Then He bade them, "Follow Me."  {CD 458.3} 

Seven years after that work with Indigenous people, I bumped into the lady who initially had asked me to come out to read the Bible to her mother in the parking lot of a mall. Apparently, she was so inspired with the Bible, and with Jesus, (as she understood Him), that she went to Bible college and became an Anglican pastor for their little church in the reserve.

When I stood in that little church 7 years prior, to do the eulogy for her mother; I could still hear the echoes of the "church leadership voice" telling me to "make sure to tell them about the state of the dead."  Of course, David didn't listen and all he talked about was the resurrection. There were hundreds of people there that day, and all were very happy to hear that GOOD NEWS and that they didn't have to change who they were to rejoice in Christ and His resurrection where they would see their loved ones again.

Most of the people there had no idea about the resurrection. The way I figured it; "if they know about that, God will do the rest."  Because of what my friends there called "the old religion" I had to tread carefully. I once had a bunch of the young men there in a pick up truck drive by me while I was cycling out there and throw stones, and spit. They didn't realize who I was or what I was doing. I always asked my friends there about anything I was going to do out there for confirmation and would respect their ideas and opinions about it. But I forgot that time to confirm the appointment with them in advance.  Long story short - I have friends for life there.

But some of this church history I am finding really disturbing. Because of church actions of the past, most doors of opportunity for the future are now closed with our Indigenous Peoples in Canada.

Our history in Canada does have some wonderful stories and testimonies; but this cloud that we have created is one of the worst nightmares I can think of. What should we be doing differently? How should we do "the work of God" now? 

Here in Alberta the Adventist Church does run, very successfully,  one school for Indigenous Albertans. I read some wonderful testimony about how God has been working through that effort.

I still refer to the work I did with Indigenous people as "The Church By The Bedside."  (1 John 1:1-3). All I used was our hymn book and the readings from scripture in the back of it. Eventually, I helped them find similar passages in their own Anglican materials.  The one song that they always wanted to sing while we stood around the bed of this elderly woman was "Amazing Grace." Shortly before my friend's mother died; she had been in a coma for days; and from what they told me, right after I left to go home; she sat up in her bed, and exclaimed:

"God just walked in the room." 

She was gone about 8 hours later. I believe it was because SHE "saw God," that everyone else there did. It is quite likely that it had very little to do with me.

I am running out of time for today; so this is TBC in another post.

Edited by BlessedMan
grammar