Kingdom of Adventistan
Sign in to follow this  
james423

Lesson 10 - Worshiping the Lord

james423

Overall Question: How did the Jews conclude they should worship the Lord?

Memory Text: Ezra 3:11 New Living Translation With praise and thanks, they sang this song to the Lord: “He is so good! His faithful love for Israel endures forever!” Then all the people gave a great shout, praising the Lord because the foundation of the Lord’s Temple had been laid.

Sunday – Singing the Songs of the Lord

Nehemiah 12:27-29 Easy-to-Read Version 27 The people dedicated the wall of Jerusalem. They brought all the Levites to Jerusalem. The Levites came from the towns they lived in. They came to Jerusalem to celebrate the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem. They came to sing songs of praise and thanks to God. They played their cymbals, harps, and lyres. 28-29 And all the singers also came to Jerusalem. They came from the towns all around Jerusalem. They came from the town of Netophah, from Beth Gilgal, Geba, and Azmaveth. The singers had built small towns for themselves in the area around Jerusalem.

1 Chronicles 25:6-8 Contemporary English Version 6 His sons were under his direction and played cymbals, harps, and other stringed instruments during times of worship at the temple. Asaph, Jeduthun, and Heman took their orders directly from the king. 7 There were two hundred eighty-eight of these men, and all of them were skilled musicians. 8 David assigned them their duties by asking the Lord what he wanted.Everyone was responsible for something, whether young or old, teacher or student.

Monday – Purification

Nehemiah 12:30 Holman Christian Standard Bible After the priests and Levites had purified themselves, they purified the people, the gates, and the wall.

1 John 1:7-9 Common English Bible 7 But if we live in the light in the same way as he is in the light, we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from every sin. 8 If we claim, “We don’t have any sin,” we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 But if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from everything we’ve done wrong.

Tuesday – Two Large Thanksgiving Choirs

Nehemiah 12:31-42 God’s WORD Translation 31 Then I had the leaders of Judah come up on the wall, and I arranged two large choirs to give thanks and march in procession. One choir went to the right on the wall to Dung Gate. 32 Hoshaiah and half of the leaders of Judah followed them. 33 Azariah, Ezra, Meshullam, 34 Judah, Benjamin, Shemaiah, and Jeremiah also followed. 35 So did some priests with trumpets: Zechariah, who was the son of Jonathan, who was the son of Shemaiah, who was the son of Mattaniah, who was the son of Micaiah, who was the son of Zaccur, who was the son of Asaph. 36 Also, these relatives of Zechariah followed: Shemaiah, Azarel, Milalai, Gilalai, Maai, Nethanel, Judah, and Hanani with the musical instruments of David, the man of God. Ezra the scribe led them. 37 At Fountain Gate they went straight up the stairs of the City of David. There the wall rises past David’s palace and reaches Water Gate on the east. 38 The other choir went to the left. I followed them with the other half of the people. We walked on the wall, past the Tower of the Ovens, as far as Broad Wall, 39 then past Ephraim Gate, over Old Gate and Fish Gate, and by the Tower of Hananel and the Tower of the Hundred, as far as Sheep Gate. The choir stopped at Guard’s Gate. 40 So both choirs stood in God’s temple, as did I and the half of the leaders who were with me. 41 Likewise, these priests stood in God’s temple: Eliakim, Maaseiah, Miniamin, Micaiah, Elioenai, Zechariah, and Hananiah with trumpets, 42 and Maaseiah, Shemaiah, Eleazar, Uzzi, Jehohanan, Malchiah, Elam, and Ezer. The singers sang under the direction of Jezrahiah.

Nehemiah 12:31 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Nehemiah ordered all the leaders of the nation, both secular and ecclesiastical, to mount the wall. There he divided them into two companies, each composed of both clergy and laity, and placed one of them under the direction of Ezra (v. 36) and took command of the other himself…Ezra’s company moved toward the southeastern corner of Jerusalem…Nehemiah’s company proceeded northward…Between the Prison Gate and the Water Gate the two companies apparently met, and from there entered the Temple.

Exodus 15:1-2 English Standard Version Then Moses and the people of Israel sang this song to the Lord, saying, “I will sing to the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider[a] he has thrown into the sea.2 The Lord is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him.

2 Chronicles 20:21-22 Christian Standard Bible 21 Then he consulted with the people and appointed some to sing for the Lord and some to praise the splendor of his holiness. When they went out in front of the armed forces, they kept singing: Give thanks to the Lord, for his faithful love endures forever. 22 The moment they began their shouts and praises, the Lord set an ambush against the Ammonites, Moabites, and the inhabitants of Mount Seir who came to fight against Judah, and they were defeated.

Revelation 15:2-4 Good News Translation 2 Then I saw what looked like a sea of glass mixed with fire. I also saw those who had won the victory over the beast and its image and over the one whose name is represented by a number. They were standing by the sea of glass, holding harps that God had given them 3 and singing the song of Moses, the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb: “Lord God Almighty, how great and wonderful are your deeds! King of the nations, how right and true are your ways! 4 Who will not stand in awe of you, Lord? Who will refuse to declare your greatness? You alone are holy. All the nations will come and worship you,  because your just actions are seen by all.”

Wednesday – Sacrifices as Part of Worship

Nehemiah 12:43 Modern English Version On that day they offered great sacrifices and rejoiced because God had given them great cause for rejoicing. The wives and the children rejoiced, too. From far away the joyful celebration of Jerusalem was heard.

Nehemiah 12:43 COMMENTARY BY JAMIESON, FAUSSET, AND BROWN The events of the day, viewed in connection with the now repaired and beautified state of the city, raised the popular feeling to the highest pitch of enthusiasm, and the fame of their rejoicings was spread far and near.

Nehemiah 12:43 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Jewish women are not frequently mentioned in the Bible as taking part in public festivities. The only other occasion in which women are recorded as having taken part in a general celebration was at the Red Sea, under the leadership of Miriam.

John 1:29,36 New Century Version 29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him. John said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 36 When he saw Jesus walking by, he said, “Look, the Lamb of God!”

1 Corinthians 5:7 New English Translation Clean out the old yeast so that you may be a new batch of dough—you are, in fact, without yeast. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.

Revelation 5:5,12-13 Good News Translation 5 Then one of the elders said to me, “Don't cry. Look! The Lion from Judah's tribe, the great descendant of David, has won the victory, and he can break the seven seals and open the scroll.” 12 and sang in a loud voice: “The Lamb who was killed is worthy to receive power, wealth, wisdom, and strength,     honor, glory, and praise!” 13 And I heard every creature in heaven, on earth, in the world below, and in the sea—all living beings in the universe—and they were singing: “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb,    be praise and honor, glory and might, forever and ever!”

John 1:1-3 Contemporary English Version 1 In the beginning was the one who is called the Word. The Word was with God and was truly God. 2 From the very beginning the Word was with God. 3 And with this Word,  God created all things. Nothing was made without the Word. Everything that was created

Thursday – Priests and Levites as Part of Worship

Nehemiah 12:44-47 New International Reader’s Version 44 At that time some men were put in charge of the storerooms. That’s where all the gifts the people brought were placed. Those gifts included the first shares of their crops. They also included a tenth of everything the Law required. Crops were harvested from the fields around the towns. The people had to bring the shares of those crops that were required by the Law. They gave them to the priests and Levites. That’s because the people of Judah were pleased with the priests and Levites who were serving God. 45 The priests and Levites did everything their God wanted them to do. They made things pure and “clean.” The musicians and the men who guarded the temple gates also served God. Everything was done just as David and his son Solomon had commanded. 46 A long time ago there had been directors for the musicians. There had also been directors for the songs for giving thanks and praise to God. It was in the time of David and Asaph. 47 So now in the days of Zerubbabel and Nehemiah, all the people of Israel brought their gifts. They gave the musicians and the men who guarded the gates what they were supposed to give them every day. They also set apart the shares for the other Levites. And the Levites set apart the shares for the priests in the family line of Aaron.

Nehemiah 12:44 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY In view of the fact that the nation had promised to be faithful in rendering their tithes and offerings provision was now made for administering the expected Temple revenues. Since the tithes and offerings were paid in produce—grain, wine, oil, etc. spacious storage rooms were needed, with men to be in charge of them. There was a spirit of harmony between laity and clergy, and everyone contributed willingly.

Hebrews 9:1-11 New International Version Now the first covenant had regulations for worship and also an earthly sanctuary. 2 A tabernacle was set up. In its first room were the lampstand and the table with its consecrated bread; this was called the Holy Place. 3 Behind the second curtain was a room called the Most Holy Place, 4 which had the golden altar of incense and the gold-covered ark of the covenant. This ark contained the gold jar of manna, Aaron’s staff that had budded, and the stone tablets of the covenant. 5 Above the ark were the cherubim of the Glory, overshadowing the atonement cover. But we cannot discuss these things in detail now. 6 When everything had been arranged like this, the priests entered regularly into the outer room to carry on their ministry. 7 But only the high priest entered the inner room, and that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offered for himself and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance. 8 The Holy Spirit was showing by this that the way into the Most Holy Place had not yet been disclosed as long as the first tabernacle was still functioning. 9 This is an illustration for the present time, indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper. 10 They are only a matter of food and drink and various ceremonial washings—external regulations applying until the time of the new order. 11 But when Christ came as high priest of the good things that are now already here, he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not made with human hands, that is to say, is not a part of this creation.

Friday – Further Thought

Psalm 127:1 New Living Translation Unless the Lord builds a house,    the work of the builders is wasted. Unless the Lord protects a city,    guarding it with sentries will do no good.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.