Kingdom of Adventistan

January 2020 Signs of the Times Newsletter!

bed48af2-0a67-4fed-af48-ad9a935da01c.png
January 2020 Signs of the Times Email Newsletter

The Signs of the Times newsletter is a collection of stories and quotes from past issues ofSigns and These Times.

A story that came out of the Civil War beautifully illustrates the meaning and power of the name. A solider, in the evening after a fierce battle, was walking over the battlefield. All around were the dead and dying. He came upon a friend who had been terribly wounded; his life was fast ebbing away. The young soldier gave him water, washed the blood from his face, and straightened his limbs, making him as comfortable as possible. Then he said, "Charlie, is there anything more I can do for you?"
     The dying lad was thinking of the loved ones back home, and he wanted to send them a little message. He said to his comrade, "My father is a prominent judge in a northern city, and I want you to take him this letter, and if you ever need help, he will give it to you. You write what I tell you and I will try to sign it."
     This was a part of the brief note: "Dear Father: I am dying on the battlefield and one of my friends is helping me. If he ever comes to you, be kind to him for Charlie's sake." Then with stiffening fingers, he signed his name, "Charlie," and died.
     When the Civil War was over and the soldiers returned to their homes, some had no place to go. After some months one of the boys in a battered and soiled uniform made his way to a certain town and to the home of a certain judge. He looked so much like a tramp that the servants would not allow him to come in the house.
     He waited until the judge was coming up the walk, and then stepping up, held before him a soiled piece of paper. Thinking it was just another plea for assistance, the judge sought to push him to one side, but the soldier stepped again in front of him and called his attention to the signature on the letter. Then the great man threw his arms around the soldier, and with tears streaming down his face, he said, "Lad, you can have anything that my money and influence can buy."
     Dear reader, I ask you what made the difference in the attitude of the judge. Ah, it was the name of his boy!
     Jesus signed His name on a blank check and we can fill in our needs and with confidence present it at the bank of heaven. The name of Jesus stands for all that heaven has.—By Julius L. Tucker, Signs of the Times, January 6, 1942.

Quote: “I am learning more and more each year that all worry consumes, and to no purpose, just so much physical and mental strength that might otherwise be given to constructive work.”—Booker T. Washington, These Times, May 1951.

Don't miss the February 2020 issue of Signs of the Times: To order Signs, call: 1-800-765-6955 or CLICK to order online.

Dan Crawford, the explorer missionary, tells how, when his African companions were on a march and night came on, they would lie down by the trail and sleep. Before dropping off to rest, they would pass from group to group the watchword, "Lutenda."
     The word means "morning star." There was an agreement among them to be up and ready to move when the morning star appeared. To Dan Crawford this was a parable. To all believers Christ is the Bright and Morning Star. (Revelation 22:16.) To those who lie down in their last sleep, with hearts and minds fixed on Christ, comes blessed hope. Their watchword is, "The Star—the Morning Star." And when the Morning Star appears, they will awake to resurrection life and glory and the day which has no night.—By H. M. S. Richards, These Times, May 1951.

Quote: “It is not work that kills men; it is worry. Work is healthy; you can hardly put more upon a man than he can bear. Worry is rust upon the blade. It is not the revolution that destroys the machinery, but the friction. Fear secretes acids; but love and trust are sweet juices.”—Henry Ward Beecher, These Times, May 1951.

NEW from Pacific Press—Darkness Will Not Overcome, by Richie Halversen. Addiction is a disease that affects not only the addict but also everyone who loves them. Opioid use is an epidemic. But all the statistics in the world won’t make the same impact as one true story. This powerful true story is a reminder that God’s transforming grace can and does break the addiction cycle.

Order ONLINE or from your local Adventist Book Center--1-800-765-6955.

Boys are sometimes tempted to think that to be tender-hearted is to be weak and unmanly. Yet the tenderest heart may be associated with the strongest and most forcible mind and will. Take, for example, the story told of him to whom we owe our wonderful railway system. George Stephenson went one day into an upper room of his house and closed the window. It had been open a long time because of the great heat, but now the weather was becoming cooler, and so Mr. Stephenson thought it would be well to shut it. He little knew at the time what he was doing. Two or three days afterward, however, he chanced to observe a bird flying against that same window, and beating against it with all its might again and again, as if trying to break it. His sympathy and curiosity were aroused. What could the little thing want? He went at once to the room and opened the window to see. The window opened the bird flew straight to one particular spot in the room, where Stephenson saw a nest—that little bird’s nest. The poor bird looked at it, took the sad story in at a glance, and fluttered down to the floor, broken-hearted, almost dead.
     Stephenson drawing near to look was filled with unspeakable sorrow. There sat the mother bird and under it four tiny little ones—mother and young all apparently dead.
     Stephenson cried aloud. He tenderly lifted the exhausted bird from the floor, the worm it had so long and so bravely struggled to bring to its home and young still in its beak, and carefully tried to revive it, but all his efforts proved in vain. It speedily died, and the great man mourned for many a day. At the same time the force of George Stephenson’s mind was changing the face of the earth, yet he wept at the sight of this dead family, and was deeply grieved because he himself had unconsciously been the cause of death.—Manchester Times, Signs of the Times, January 6, 1888.

Quote: “If you would know the meaning of love, go not to the dictionary, but read the story of the cross. There, and there alone, can you glimpse its meaning—only glimpse it; for it will take the long ages of eternity to fully unfold all its mysterious sweetness and purity. Yet that glimpse has in it wonderful possibilities; it has transformed sinners into saints, relighted dead fires of hope, and planted faith in bosoms that were but the dwelling places of despair.”—By Edward J. Urquhart, The Watchman Magazine, May 1909.

Place this in your church bulletin or newsletter: A new year is the perfect opportunity to offer hope to friends and neighbors. Signs of the Times® takes on a broken world and directs hearts to Jesus for relevant answers. The result is changed lives! Send a subscription today. Order from your Adventist Book Center. To order call: 1-800-765-6955 or online at: http://www.adventistbookcenter.com/signs-of-the-times-magazine-yearly-us-subscription.html

Dr. F. B. Meyer was traveling to America on one occasion, and preached on "Answered Prayer." An infidel approached him after luncheon and said, "Dr. Meyer, I do not believe a word you said."
     After some time spent in discussion, Dr. Meyer said, "I have to preach in the steerage now, but come with me to the service, and we shall resume our talk at the close."
     As they passed along the main deck, they saw a poor old immigrant woman, with a shawl over her head, seated on the deck fast asleep. The infidel put his hand in his pocket, and quietly dropped in the old lady's lap two oranges.
     As they returned, they saw the woman eating an orange. Stopping before her, the infidel said, "Well, mother, you seem to be enjoying that orange."
     "Yes," she replied, "isn't my Father good to me?"
     "Your father," said the surprised man, "surely your father can't be alive!"
     "Oh, yes," was the reply, "He is very much alive. I felt so sick, and I longed for an orange, so I lifted up my heart to my heavenly Father and asked Him to send me one. And He sent me two. Isn't that just like my Father?"—Moody Bible Institute Monthly, Signs of the Times, January 4, 1938.

Quote: “As the will of man co-operates with the will of God, it becomes omnipotent. Whatever is to be done at His command, may be accomplished in His strength. All His biddings are enablings.”—By Ellen White, Signs of the Times, March 2, 1954.

CLICK HERE to see everything you need to give a Bible study. Visit: www.ToolsForEvangelism.com

On a blustery, stormy, winter day, at a broad intersection on a busy trunk highway, I noticed a man standing near the side of the road. I was on my way home for lunch. The next day he was there again at the same place, and the next day, and for days following. Blizzards came, with cold weather, sleet, and snow, but he was there. In the pouring rain, I saw him there with his rain-coat and umbrella. On days when the skies were clear and the sun shining, he kept his vigil there on the busy highway at the noon hour. I wondered just why he might be there.
     Then one day my curiosity was satisfied—I found out why he waited there by the busy thoroughfare in all kinds of weather, at midday. He had a little daughter about seven years old who was going to school. She had to cross this highway just at the brow of a hill. There was a constant stream of cars, trucks, and buses going both ways. The father knew of the perils there. He loved that little girl enough to be there to help her safely through the dangers in all kinds of weather.
     A number of times after my curiosity had been satisfied, I saw him take her by the hand and help her to safety on the other side of the busy thoroughfare. She did not seem to be concerned. This danger caused her no fears. She accepted her father's kind attention with no apparent thought. As soon as he let loose her hand, she skipped off toward home, or to play with some other children. She was unconscious of her danger or of her father's concern. It seemed a matter of little consequence to her that he had stood in the blizzard or the pouring rain in order to protect her.
     This is a busy old world. Traffic is hurried and heavy. There are many danger spots along life's highway. Absorbed in the duties and pleasures of life, we are not always conscious of the dangers lurking about us—dangers threatening our physical being or our spiritual lives.
     At the busy intersection, a loving heavenly Father stands to help us past the dangers of today and tomorrow and other days to come. From dangers and from temptations and trials, He shields and protects, if we are willing to accept His care and guidance. From just how many dangers He has protected us, we may never know. Are we unmindful of His care and unthankful for His blessings? We should be willing to place our hand in His and accept His guidance and protection.
     "He shall give His angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways." Psalm 91: 11. "In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3: 6.—By Charles L. Paddock, Our Times, February 1946.

Quote: “There is just one irresistible thing in the Spirit world, just one, only one. It is the blood of our Lord Jesus, with all that that stands for; aye more, he fears it and what it stands for; and more yet, he flees before it when persistently pleaded by one in touch with Him who shed that blood. That blood cleanses from all sin; it does more, it strengthens against all weakness, and protects from all the subtlety and power of the evil one.”—By S. D. Gordon, Signs of the Times, February 6, 1923.

CLICK HERE to see the largest selection of Adventist eBooks.

If I Had but One Year to Live!

If I had but one year to live;
One year to help; one year to give;
One year to love; one year to bless;
One year of better things to stress;
One year to sing; one year to smile;
To brighten earth a little while;
One year to sing my Maker’s praise;
One year to fill with work my days;
One year to strive for a reward;
When I should stand before my Lord;
I think that I should spend each day
In just the selfsame way
That I do now. For from afar
The call may come across the bar
At any time, and I must be
Prepared to meet eternity.

So if I have a year to live,
Or just one day in which to give
A pleasant smile, a helping hand,
A mind that tries to understand
A fellow-creature when in need,
‘Tis one with me—I take no heed;
But try to live each day He sends
To serve my gracious Master’s ends.—Unknown, These Times, April 1967.

Compiled by Dale Galusha. Please pass this newsletter on to others.

Copyright © 2020 Pacific Press, All rights reserved. 
You are receiving this email because you asked to receive it. 
Our mailing address is: 
Pacific Press
P.O. Box 5353
Nampa, ID 83653
On 1/6/2020 at 4:34 PM, Stan said:
Dr. F. B. Meyer was traveling to America on one occasion, and preached on "Answered Prayer." An infidel approached him after luncheon and said, "Dr. Meyer, I do not believe a word you said."
     After some time spent in discussion, Dr. Meyer said, "I have to preach in the steerage now, but come with me to the service, and we shall resume our talk at the close."
     As they passed along the main deck, they saw a poor old immigrant woman, with a shawl over her head, seated on the deck fast asleep. The infidel put his hand in his pocket, and quietly dropped in the old lady's lap two oranges.
     As they returned, they saw the woman eating an orange. Stopping before her, the infidel said, "Well, mother, you seem to be enjoying that orange."
     "Yes," she replied, "isn't my Father good to me?"
     "Your father," said the surprised man, "surely your father can't be alive!"
     "Oh, yes," was the reply, "He is very much alive. I felt so sick, and I longed for an orange, so I lifted up my heart to my heavenly Father and asked Him to send me one. And He sent me two. Isn't that just like my Father?"—Moody Bible Institute Monthly, Signs of the Times, January 4, 1938.

They didn't finish the story!:

There was a Christian lady who lived next door to an atheist. Everyday, when the lady prayed, the atheist guy could hear her. He thought to himself, "She sure is crazy, praying all the time like that. Doesn't she know there isn't a God?" 

Many times while she was praying, he would go to her house and harass her, saying "Lady, why do you pray all the time? Don't you know there is no God?" But she kept on praying. 

One day, she ran out of groceries. As usual, she was praying to the Lord explaining her situation and thanking Him for what He was gonna do. 

AS USUAL, the atheist heard her praying and thought to himself. "Hmph . . .I'll fix her." 

He went to the grocery store, bought a whole bunch of groceries, took them to her house, dropped them off on the front porch, rang the door bell and then hid in the bushes to see what she would do. When she opened the door and saw the groceries, she began to praise the Lord with all her heart, jumping, singing and shoutin' everywhere! 

The atheist then jumped out of the bushes and told her, "You ol'crazy lady, God didn't buy you those groceries, I bought those groceries!" 

Well, she broke out and started running down the street, shouting and praising the Lord. When he finally caught her, he asked what her problem was . . . 

She said, "I knew the Lord would provide me with some groceries, but I didn't know he was gonna make the devil pay for them!"