Kingdom of Adventistan
B/W Photodude

Pope Francis Tells Christians Not to Try to Convert Nonbelievers

B/W Photodude

ROME — Pope Francis told Christian high school students this weekend they should respect people of other faiths and not attempt to convert them to Christianity, insisting “we are not living in the times of the crusades.”

Asked by one of the students Friday how a Christian should treat people of other faiths or no faith, the pope said that “we are all the same, all children of God” and that true disciples of Jesus do not proselytize.

https://www.breitbart.com/faith/2019/12/22/pope-francis-tells-christians-not-to-try-to-convert-nonbelievers/

BlessedMan
On 1/17/2020 at 7:53 PM, B/W Photodude said:

ROME — Pope Francis told Christian high school students this weekend they should respect people of other faiths and not attempt to convert them to Christianity, insisting “we are not living in the times of the crusades.”

Asked by one of the students Friday how a Christian should treat people of other faiths or no faith, the pope said that “we are all the same, all children of God” and that true disciples of Jesus do not proselytize.

https://www.breitbart.com/faith/2019/12/22/pope-francis-tells-christians-not-to-try-to-convert-nonbelievers/

There are definitely some contradictions happening here:

The goal of evangelization today is, as always, the transmission of the Christian faith. This task primarily concerns communities of Jesus' disciples which are organized into particular Churches, diocesan and eparchial, whose worshippers gather regularly for liturgical celebrations, hear the Word of God, celebrate the sacraments — especially the Eucharist — and look to pass on the treasure of faith to the members of their families, communities and parishes. They accomplish this task by proclaiming and bearing witness to the Christian life through the catechumenate, catechesis and works of charity. Evangelization in general is the everyday work of the Church. With the assistance of the Holy Spirit, this so-called ordinary evangelizing activity can be endowed with renewed vigour. New methods and new forms of expression are needed to convey to the people of today the perennial truth of Jesus Christ, forever new and the source of all newness. Only a sound and robust faith, witnessed in a poignant manner in the lives of the martyrs, can give impetus to many short-term or long-range pastoral projects, breathe new life into existing structures and spur a pastoral creativity to meet the needs of people today and the expectations of present-day society.

This renewed dynamism in the Christian community will lead to renewed missionary activity (missio ad gentes), now more urgent than ever, given the large number of people who do not know Jesus Christ, in not only far-off countries but also those already evangelized.

By allowing themselves to be animated by the Holy Spirit, Christians will then be more attuned to their brothers and sisters who, despite being baptized, have drifted from the Church and Christian practice. The new evangelization is primarily directed to these people so that they can rediscover the beauty of their Christian faith and the joy of a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus in the Church and the community of the faithful.

8. From the beginning of his pontificate, Pope Benedict XVI has insisted that this situation needs to be addressed. At that time he said: "The Church as a whole and all her Pastors, like Christ, must set out to lead people out of the desert, towards the place of life, towards friendship with the Son of God, towards the One who gives us life, and life in abundance."[2] The Church feels the responsibility to devise new tools and new expressions to ensure that the word of faith, which has begotten the true life of God in us, be heard more and be better understood, even in the new deserts of this world.

From the Second Vatican Council to the New Evangelization

10. The idea of renewing the Church's evangelizing activity, expressed most recently in the previously mentioned decisions of Pope Benedict XVI, has a long history. This same idea inspired the teaching and apostolic ministry of Pope Paul VI and Pope John Paul II. In fact, the origin of the idea can be traced to the Second Vatican Council and its desire to respond to a sense of disorientation experienced by Christians facing powerful changes and divisions which the world was experiencing at that time. The Church's response was not characterized by pessimism or resignation,[4] but the regenerating power of the universal call to salvation,[5] desired by God for each individual.

11. In this way, evangelization became one of the central topics of the Second Vatican Ecumenical Council. In Christ, the Light of the Nations,[6] all humanity regains its original and true identity,[7] which sin has obscured, and the Church, whose countenance reflects this Light, has the task of continuing and making present and real, everywhere in today's world, the evangelizing mission of Jesus Christ.[8] From this perspective, evangelization is one of the main demands made by the Council which called for renewal and zeal in this mission.

SOURCE FROM VATICAN

Gustave

Doesn't this article contradict Ellen White's prophetic schema of the Catholic Church forcing the world to 'get-in-line'? 

BlessedMan
2 hours ago, Gustave said:

Doesn't this article contradict Ellen White's prophetic schema of the Catholic Church forcing the world to 'get-in-line'? 

well, I am sure that some would like it to seem so. I am also sure that you likely know I did not give the entire story here; and also that you are likely well-aware of the full RCC dogma on this.

Gregory Matthews

My question to Gustave:  Is the Breitbart report as to what the Pope said accurate?

On a personal basis, when I cite a statement of this type, I like to, if possible, cite a Catholic source.  I do not  think that Breitbart is a Catholic source.

Gustave
On 3/10/2020 at 4:44 AM, Gregory Matthews said:

My question to Gustave:  Is the Breitbart report as to what the Pope said accurate?

On a personal basis, when I cite a statement of this type, I like to, if possible, cite a Catholic source.  I do not  think that Breitbart is a Catholic source.

No, its not accurate. 

The Pope is here saying Catholics should lead by example (such as living the Christian life) and by that example we share the Gospel. This is the difference between evangelism (sharing the Gospel)  and proselytizing  (trying to talk or convince someone out of their religious beliefs). Romans 15, 20 Vs. Matthew 23:15.

This may help:

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/pope-francis-on-proselytism

BlessedMan
3 hours ago, Gustave said:

No, its not accurate. 

The Pope is here saying Catholics should lead by example (such as living the Christian life) and by that example we share the Gospel. This is the difference between evangelism (sharing the Gospel)  and proselytizing  (trying to talk or convince someone out of their religious beliefs). Romans 15, 20 Vs. Matthew 23:15.

This may help:

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/pope-francis-on-proselytism

Can you be specific, and tell us what in that Breitbart  article was NOT correct? Whats very clear here, aside from that is that what Francis calls "the new evangelism" is not in fact "new" at all.

Gustave
1 hour ago, BlessedMan said:

Can you be specific, and tell us what in that Breitbart  article was NOT correct? Whats very clear here, aside from that is that what Francis calls "the new evangelism" is not in fact "new" at all.

The article implies that the Pope doesn’t want or at the minimum suggests that Catholicism is a closed religious system in that we don’t want to bring additional people into it - this is what I’m saying is a misrepresentation.

BlessedMan
Just now, Gustave said:

The article implies that the Pope doesn’t want or at the minimum suggests that Catholicism is a closed religious system in that we don’t want to bring additional people into it - this is what I’m saying is a misrepresentation.

Thank you for the reply Gustave; I guess I am having trouble finding in the article where they say that? Any chance you can share the specific statement? I understand that some people would say that; but I am not sure where it is in the said article under discussion?

BlessedMan
2 minutes ago, Gustave said:

suggests that Catholicism is a closed religious system

I can think of ways that most denominations are "closed" in this kind of sense, to include ours.

dgrimm60

HEY  ALL

Matthew  chapter 28 verses  19 and 20

that  is  pretty  clear  as  what the  bible  says we  should  do  a  followers  of  JESUS CHRSIT

dgrimm60

BlessedMan
On 3/10/2020 at 5:44 AM, Gregory Matthews said:

I do not  think that Breitbart is a Catholic source.

I believe it is professing RCCs that write on that web site; however, much like Spectrum, which is often cited here, it is not the official voice, thereof.

BlessedMan
1 hour ago, dgrimm60 said:

HEY  ALL

Matthew  chapter 28 verses  19 and 20

that  is  pretty  clear  as  what the  bible  says we  should  do  a  followers  of  JESUS CHRSIT

dgrimm60

Good point dgrimm60

Mat 28:19  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
Mat 28:20  and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

10 hours ago, Gustave said:

While its true that our "witness" is important; its equally true that evangelism cannot be limited to just one, prescribed method. The Bible is very clear that sometimes we must 'contend earnestly for the faith;" and that does include doctrine. Doctrine isnt just a side-dish that we serve up like a pick and choose buffet. It is my opinion that this is the Pope's way of censoring, and even stopping people from speaking their truth, there is lots he has said in the news about how upset he is about people leaving Catholicism for Protestantism. His attitude about "the competition" is pretty clear, I would think. And yes; I am very well aware of the apologetics" that are out there on this subject. What he is proposing has been tried a number of times in recorded history; and each time it gets more severe, and it fails every time. He sports himself as the "pre-eminent" authority for all churches, and that has historically been the perfect storm whenever it gets pushed too far. There are quite a few other things that could be said here; but I will have to wait until a less busy time to continue.

Gregory Matthews

The following is taken from an article that Gustave cited.  As I have cited it, it may not be clear as to exactly what was said by the Pope and what was stated by the author of the article.  So, I suggest that it would be best for all to read it   as written, rather than as I have quoted it.

From:   https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/pope-francis-on-proselytism

Francis on Proselytism

A striking illustration of Francis’s attitude toward proselytism is found in a recent address he gave to a group of catechists:

Remember what Benedict XVI said: “The Church does not grow by proselytizing; she grows by attracting others.”

And what attracts is our witness. Being a catechist means witnessing to the faith, being consistent in our personal life. This is not easy!

We help, we lead others to Jesus with our words and our lives, with our witness. I like to recall what Saint Francis of Assisi used to say to his friars: “Preach the Gospel at all times; if necessary, use words.”

Words come . . . but witness comes first: people should see the Gospel, read the Gospel, in our lives [Address to Catechists, April 27, 2013].

Proselytization vs. Evangelization?

What’s striking in Pope Francis’s address to the catechists is that he is in no way seeking to put the brakes on evangelization. Quite the opposite!

He’s tells the catechists that the Church “grows by attracting others” and what does this is our witness, that “we lead others to Jesus with our words and our lives.” And, although he stresses the importance of witnessing with our lives, he notes that “words come”—the gospel must be preached by word and not just by action.

So he’s not unconcerned with Church growth. He wants it to happen, but he says that proselytization is not the way this is to be accomplished.

What’s he talking about?

A New Meaning

This is something I’ve written about before. In a relatively recent sense of the term, “proselytization” refers to using inappropriate tactics to get someone to convert, rather than allowing them to make a free choice for Christ.

The inappropriate tactics can take a number of forms, including deception, coercion, emotional manipulation, threats, and even bribery. 

An explanation of this usage is found in the 2007 document from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith titled Instruction on Some Aspects of Evangelization. According to that document:

The term proselytism originated in the context of Judaism, in which the term proselyte referred to someone who, coming from the gentiles, had passed into the Chosen People.

So too, in the Christian context, the term proselytism was often used as a synonym for missionary activity.

More recently, however, the term has taken on a negative connotation, to mean the promotion of a religion by using means, and for motives, contrary to the spirit of the Gospel; that is, which do not safeguard the freedom and dignity of the human person.

So that’s what Pope Francis means when he says that the Church grows by our witness, in words and deeds—rather than through proselytization.

Not Unique

The Church’s missionary spirit is not about proselytizing, but the testimony of a life that illuminates the path, which brings hope and love.

The Church grows, but not through proselytizing: no, no! The Church does not grow through proselytizing. The Church grows through attraction, through the attraction of the witness that each one of us gives to the People of God [Address in Assisi, Oct. 4, 2013].

We should, in his view, not try to manipulate others into converting. We should evangelize by witnessing to the transforming love of Jesus Christ, both by word and deed, and then let them make a free choice—leaving the results up to God.

copyright © 1996-2020 Catholic Answers

stinsonmarri
5 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

The following is taken from an article that Gustave cited.  As I have cited it, it may not be clear as to exactly what was said by the Pope and what was stated by the author of the article.  So, I suggest that it would be best for all to read it   as written, rather than as I have quoted it.

Quoted From:   https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/pope-francis-on-proselytism

Francis on Proselytism

A striking illustration of Francis’s attitude toward proselytism is found in a recent address he gave to a group of catechists:

Remember what Benedict XVI said: “The Church does not grow by proselytizing; she grows by attracting others.”

And what attracts is our witness. Being a catechist means witnessing to the faith, being consistent in our personal life. This is not easy!

We help, we lead others to Jesus with our words and our lives, with our witness. I like to recall what Saint Francis of Assisi used to say to his friars: “Preach the Gospel at all times; if necessary, use words.”

Words come . . . but witness comes first: people should see the Gospel, read the Gospel, in our lives [Address to Catechists, April 27, 2013].

Proselytization vs. Evangelization?

What’s striking in Pope Francis’s address to the catechists is that he is in no way seeking to put the brakes on evangelization. Quite the opposite!

He’s tells the catechists that the Church “grows by attracting others” and what does this is our witness, that “we lead others to Jesus with our words and our lives.” And, although he stresses the importance of witnessing with our lives, he notes that “words come”—the gospel must be preached by word and not just by action.

So he’s not unconcerned with Church growth. He wants it to happen, but he says that proselytization is not the way this is to be accomplished.

What’s he talking about?

A New Meaning

This is something I’ve written about before. In a relatively recent sense of the term, “proselytization” refers to using inappropriate tactics to get someone to convert, rather than allowing them to make a free choice for Christ.

The inappropriate tactics can take a number of forms, including deception, coercion, emotional manipulation, threats, and even bribery. 

An explanation of this usage is found in the 2007 document from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith titled Instruction on Some Aspects of Evangelization. According to that document:

The term proselytism originated in the context of Judaism, in which the term proselyte referred to someone who, coming from the gentiles, had passed into the Chosen People.

So too, in the Christian context, the term proselytism was often used as a synonym for missionary activity.

More recently, however, the term has taken on a negative connotation, to mean the promotion of a religion by using means, and for motives, contrary to the spirit of the Gospel; that is, which do not safeguard the freedom and dignity of the human person.

So that’s what Pope Francis means when he says that the Church grows by our witness, in words and deeds—rather than through proselytization.

Not Unique

The Church’s missionary spirit is not about proselytizing, but the testimony of a life that illuminates the path, which brings hope and love.

The Church grows, but not through proselytizing: no, no! The Church does not grow through proselytizing. The Church grows through attraction, through the attraction of the witness that each one of us gives to the People of God [Address in Assisi, Oct. 4, 2013].

We should, in his view, not try to manipulate others into converting. We should evangelize by witnessing to the transforming love of Jesus Christ, both by word and deed, and then let them make a free choice—leaving the results up to God.

copyright © 1996-2020 Catholic Answers

Why would we let something like the writings of Breitbart be the voice of the Catholic Church? This paper is centered around and loved by an immoral leader and his followers! The paper believes in prejudice of all kinds and is loved by those who are bent on hate and confusion. It is written especially for divisive actions and to give power to a certain group!

Then we also have the Catholic today provide the meaning of proselytizing vs evangelizing! Which totally does not make sense to me! You do not induce or force anyone to the truth, you present it! It is not about anyone's belief, it is about the truth and THE HOLY SPIRIT who convicts and then converting the mind! Both evangelizing and proselytizing works together. The actual meaning of proselytizing according to the most distinguish dictionary, the Oxford English Dictionary states: Convert or attempt to convert (someone) from one religion, belief. Evangelizing is the call or request to hear a message and to present according to the Bible and proselytizing is conversion. What happens many times is evangelist either use scare tactics, gifts giveaways, a crisis, or sincerity and truth (the best that they know). Then the converted believer comes a part of the domination or non domination and that opens up a whole can of worms, yes worms! Wh? Because people base most things off what they hear, or think they hear or what sounds good. Most do not do like the Bereans, to see if it is so. Many become disappointed and leave either returning to their first church or leave religion altogether. Others get caught up in the groups catering to what is acceptable and become dry, gossiping and uppity believers have no true love but their own self-righteousness! They always judging folks without compassion! I could go on an on about those who start a similar church because they get mad or have views different than the others. But, there are those who quietly but firmly tried to understand the Scriptures and see errors and most of all pray. They will not change their faith they improve and change themselves and present with loving-kindness truth. They are rejected, hated, humiliated but nothing will keep them from standing. Do they make mistakes, yes, but correct them and learn from them but they keep standing because the truth will win in the end!

Blessings!

BlessedMan
7 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

The following is taken from an article that Gustave cited

Thank you. This post helps prove my points above.

7 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

While the Pope is, of course, well within his rights to define such for RCCs; he is not the one who defines it for everyone else.  While we all seem to grovel in our accusations about "the centralizing of kingly powers," we freely promote this papal pronouncement; which in fact is only a small portion of what scripture says on the subject. Its kind of like Mat 4 where just a snippet of the text was quoted to Jesus.

As I have said before, history does tend to repeat itself.

BlessedMan
2 hours ago, stinsonmarri said:

Why would we let something like the writings of Breitbart be the voice of the Catholic Church?

It has already been stated above that Breitbart is not an official voice for the Catholic church.

2 hours ago, stinsonmarri said:

Because people base most things off what they hear, or think they hear or what sounds good.

Called Mob mentality. In Bible times, this same mentality led to the severest persecutions and butchery ever.

stinsonmarri
3 hours ago, BlessedMan said:

It has already been stated above that Breitbart is not an official voice for the Catholic church.

Called Mob mentality. In Bible times, this same mentality led to the severest persecutions and butchery ever.

BlessedMan: I still voice why should we want to listen to anything coming from a negative magazine or new journal period. That's how I felt about using the information. I then proceed to relate to what Pope Francis said base on the quote. Now I did not check out https:Jimmy Akin//www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/pope-francis-on-proselytism until you just made your comment. To my surprise Jimmy Akin an international devout convert felt the same way I did. The problem that I see is becoming more common today and that is changing the truth by changing or what they call reforming certain words. YAHWEH States; HE change not but earthly religions constantly does.

Now, honestly I truly do not understand how you can called a mob mentality base on the comment I stated. "Because people base most things off what they hear, or think they hear or what sounds good." Then you want to relate persecution and butchery to just Biblical times. Do you have proof of this? The worst times were the Roman Catholic persecution and today in various countries including now USA. Inhumane at all times are totally against YAHWEH and HIS Principles period. 

Finally, the Bible clearly states HIS people are lost due the lack of knowledge and understanding. The Bible states to study and that means to research and check out all sources. The evidence of history is a sounding board and as the world become more and more abase things become worse. Violence, hatred, lust of the flesh and so much more is worse today than the antediluvian world because of sin. If THE FATHER do not put a check on sin and us not even the very elect will be save. That is how awful sin has grown it is the world true pandemic and YAHWEH must bring things to an end now! You may think it is not but it is HIS Decision for this virus and you will soon see!

Blessings!

BlessedMan
1 hour ago, stinsonmarri said:

To my surprise Jimmy Akin an international devout convert felt the same way I did.

Greetings Stinson: I am actually not really sure what your point was in the last post above. I do know that Akin is a highly esteemed Roman catholic Apologists; at least, esteemed in RCC circles. I am quite familiar with his work, and he posts regularly on a major Catholic forum. And its not wrong to agree with something he says. He seems quite clear that his mandate is to "convert" all the evil Protestants, and their "misunderstandings" of Catholicism. I guess you just gave him some good advertising here!

The Bible states to study and that means to research and check out all sources. The evidence of history is a sounding board and as the world become more and more abase things become worse

I couldnt agree with you more.

"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good." (1 Thes 5:21)

Kevin H
On 3/9/2020 at 11:51 PM, Gustave said:

Not necessarily, and for a couple reasons. First this more liberal view of Pope Frances could cause a conservative backlash. 

Second, Adventist tradition has us moving from the 6th head to back to the 5th head, the Holy Roman Empire with Papal supremacy, instead of moving a head to the 7th head. The Pope still plays a role in the 7th head but more of a secondary role as the moral voice of the head. The 7th head is the world united under economic cooperation. I'm afraid that many Seventh-day Adventists are going to be so busy looking for the return to the 5th head that we will miss the 7th head. 

Third, Revelation 13 says that it is the lamb like beast forcing the world to get-in-line, not the 5th head of the beast. The lamb like beast is technically in it's most basic form us as individuals. We can broaden this to applying to a nation that is based on individualism, Americanism, and starts out like Christ, and on Protestantism, and how these will tell us that it will be to our advantage to go along with the system. 

The dragon represents Satan and demons working directly, and their message is that God has no right to place a law over us, that the only truth is what is truth for you. Existentialism (where your existential experience is the FINAL source of truth, but even then our existential experience, as well as our will power ends up getting lost as we become slaves to our feelings. )

The beast is in a lot of ways the opposite to the dragon. The beast is any organization that replaces God in our life, who ends up telling us what we are to believe and do and is not that interested in our existential situation. 

Liberals are more attracted to the dragon, conservatives are more attracted to the beast. The lamb-like beast that ends up speaking like a dragon tells the liberals that it is to their advantage to go along with the beast even though they disagree with it. 

Once there was a conference with faith leaders from many different faith traditions, both Christian and non-Christian. At the end of the conference a pastor stood up and said "I use to be very aggressive in evangelism, but now I see that you have a living relationship with God and I am no longer going to try to make Christians out of you." When he said that a wise rabbi stood up. He said to the pastor, "Don't say that! Jesus told you to spread the gospel and you will not be faithful if you did not share the gospel with the rest of us. The message of this conference is not to get you to stop spreading the gospel, but only a message to be careful how you do it. " 

I am not sure if Pope Francis is telling us not to share the gospel (which would fit our idea of last day events of trying to get everyone to come together in relationship to the 7th head) or if he is (rightfully) warning that we have often tried to spread the gospel in very unkind ways, a lot of using external control psychology to push what we believe, instead of sharing in love what we believe, listening to others with listening love and respect and let the Holy Spirit take care of the rest. 

The dragon is Satan and the demon's working directly and promotes spiritualism, the idea of live as you please for heaven is your home, there is no truth except for what is true for you

BlessedMan
45 minutes ago, Kevin H said:

Once there was a conference with faith leaders from many different faith traditions, both Christian and non-Christian. At the end of the conference a pastor stood up and said "I use to be very aggressive in evangelism, but now I see that you have a living relationship with God and I am no longer going to try to make Christians out of you."

I've heard this story before. The thing is, even Satan "has a relationship with God," (James 2:19) and thats the exact reason why we are also told:

"Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God's holy people." (Jude 1:3) [this is the NIV version]

The KJV is a little clearer:

"Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. "

There are two primary ingredients named herein: 1) "the common salvation" and 2) "the faith once delivered unto the saints." And it says to "contend earnestly for the latter.

One of several problems with this conciliar article is just that. It is a conciliar/pacifist tone that has been heard before; and which does not describe the full and actual intentions and practices  of the RCC.

More later.

stinsonmarri
11 hours ago, BlessedMan said:

Greetings Stinson: I am actually not really sure what your point was in the last post above. I do know that Akin is a highly esteemed Roman catholic Apologists; at least, esteemed in RCC circles. I am quite familiar with his work, and he posts regularly on a major Catholic forum. And its not wrong to agree with something he says. He seems quite clear that his mandate is to "convert" all the evil Protestants, and their "misunderstandings" of Catholicism. I guess you just gave him some good advertising here!

I couldnt agree with you more.

"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good." (1 Thes 5:21)

BlessedMan: You appeared to miss the whole point about Mr. Akin. Also why do have you to say things like the evil Protestants, even if that's what he says. You know many people like him don't actually know the love of YAHSHUA! There will be many Catholic saved and a lot of SDA lost because of how we judge other people. YAHSHUA stated the HE have other flock that is not of this fold. I don't care about his forum. I was only dealing with the word proselytizing that is it! I looked up the web and yes I agreed with him on what the word meant and that is conversion. I did not get into his teaching methods but he is a converted devout Catholic, which I mention. Sometimes we take things out of context instead of that the two words go togethers that is all! This had nothing to do with advertising, because I do not know the man. You spoke yourself more about his work than I did?  Do I know his mind or thoughts, no neither do you! Only THE HOLY SPIRIT does. Conversion if you read my comment I mention love, kindness, humbleness.  We do those things which include keeping YAHWEH'S Commandment and having the Testimony of YAHSHUA! That is what I wanted to bring out about proselytizing which is true conversion. I cannot tear down this man because he believes he is right! I haven't discuss Bible truth with him at all! What I can do is pray that THE HOLY SPIRIT will lead him to the truth! My concern is with us who should know the truth and many of us don't! Our actions should show we want to be loving and kind to one another. If we don't agree then 1 Thes 5:21 is the standard we should use. First Paul says to prove all things. That's what presentation should do. Always back up what you claim with facts from the Bible that is our rule of faith. Secondly, Paul says to hold on to what is, literally moral,"(Strong Greek). I used literally moral because that is what Paul was speaking about in the whole Chapter. That is our character!

Thank you for agreeing with me about researching the truth like the Berean's did! Lastly, I want us to realize that we need to know to the fullest, truth. Before we evangelize and proselytize we all need to truly study the Word, we do not want to leave anyone down the wrong path. That's my concern and nothing else!

Blessings!

BlessedMan

why do have you to say things like the evil Protestants, even if that's what he says

good morning Stinsonmarri; I sincerely wish you God's peace. I thought I could make this post as a small lesson in the English language, (grammar) in order to let you know about what I meant by what I said. In English, it is often the case where we use a phrase, in a representative way of something that is known to happen from time to time. When I said "those evil Protestants," it was not really a direct reference to Akin, but rather to the typical, historically documented and ongoing fracas between Catholics and Protestants. So I used the phrase to represent a common attitude that many non-Protestants use in their "evangelism."  I am not trying to convince you of anything, just explaining how/why I used the phrase. English Grammar is a little tricky at times, we all tend to use it differently, depending on where we live. May the Lord add His blessing to the reading of His Word. I can picture you sharing your experience with Christ, with the people in your life. They are fortunate to have you. Take care, till next time. :)

stinsonmarri
5 hours ago, BlessedMan said:

good morning Stinsonmarri; I sincerely wish you God's peace. I thought I could make this post as a small lesson in the English language, (grammar) in order to let you know about what I meant by what I said. In English, it is often the case where we use a phrase, in a representative way of something that is known to happen from time to time. When I said "those evil Protestants," it was not really a direct reference to Akin, but rather to the typical, historically documented and ongoing fracas between Catholics and Protestants. So I used the phrase to represent a common attitude that many non-Protestants use in their "evangelism."  I am not trying to convince you of anything, just explaining how/why I used the phrase. English Grammar is a little tricky at times, we all tend to use it differently, depending on where we live. May the Lord add His blessing to the reading of His Word. I can picture you sharing your experience with Christ, with the people in your life. They are fortunate to have you. Take care, till next time. :)

Thank You BlessedMan: Amid all of the world crisis with the coronavirus, it will be love like what you provided that will make us steadfast and strong. I truly will cherish these words of endearment.
May YAHWEH richly bless and keep you always!:flower: